Help with fuel line flush....(Idiot friend) | FerrariChat

Help with fuel line flush....(Idiot friend)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by TexasDude, Nov 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexasDude

TexasDude Rookie

Nov 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    M. P. Dude
    So, my buddy has a 1999 Ferrari 360 and let it sit WAY too long without firing it up. Now, the battery is dead and it won't start. The battery swap will be easy. However, I want to flush the system of the old gas to give it a fresh start. Any advice on how to easily go about flushing the fuel system? Would you just add fresh gas on top of the old gas with a bottle of Chem tool added and BAM!!! Call it a day?

Thank you in advance,

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    How long ..inside or outside .

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

3. TexasDude

TexasDude Rookie

Nov 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    M. P. Dude
    The car has been sitting for 6 plus months. It has been a while. He went through some drama and it just sat. Now, he wants to fire it up and get it going again.

Flushing the fuel system would make me feel a lot better. I"m a classic car guru, but these European mid-engine cars have me perplexed a bit.

Thank you in advance,

4. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Just start it up and go. 6 months on fuel is nothing - especially if it is non-ethanol premium. We do it every single year in the northern states. Been storing for 6 months for decades. Top it off with some fresh fuel if it makes you feel better...

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I agree just start it up ..if you want add bg44 to the tank and add at least 5 gallons of fuel and then drive it slowly for the first 15 miles and then get it up to temp and then drive The heck out of it (Italian tune up)

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Fcar tech likes this.
  6. Fcar tech

Fcar tech Karting

Oct 22, 2021
    Always nearby
    Full Name:
    XXXX
    Add some Redline fuel treatment .Start it and drive most of the fuel out of it... Then top it off.
    You will be fine.

7. TexasDude

TexasDude Rookie

Nov 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    M. P. Dude
    Nice. I'll do just that.

Thanks......

8. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I think the issue you have is that you may have low RVP summer time gasoline in the tank. In the winter you need a little lighter grade (more butane) to make it ignite because it is colder. Maybe it will not make a difference. I would siphon the gas out with a cheap $20 siphon pump and then fill up the tank with fresh fuel if you want to be safe.

I just had this happen on a car that sat for 9 months and did the above plus replace the plugs and it made a world of difference.

My 2 cents.

Drew

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Just start the frigging thing. It's not like your trying to start the USS Missouri here. Fuel will last for close to a year before anything needs to be revived. Fuels now are so much different then in the past. 6 months is winter storage..

JL350, JCR and flash32 like this.
  10. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I agree with the Bust it Off replies. Wasting time trying to drain and add fresh gas. Burn it, then the disposal fee is less costly and more fun.
    Don't forget to exercise all of the buttons and switches. Run everything back and forth fully. Seats, mirrors, turn stuff on & off. Run the heat, then the AC. After driving a bit. Find a good spot and exercise the ABS a few times as well.

SeattleStew and tbakowsky like this.
  11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I'd start it with some new gas topped off in the tank. If you are really worried open the line at the fuel pump and drain the old gas out of the tank.