296 GTB V6 Sound | Page 2 | FerrariChat

296 GTB V6 Sound

Discussion in '296' started by inox, Aug 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    sparetireless and Napoli like this.
  2. ferrarist

ferrarist Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Istanbul / TURKEY
    Full Name:
    I.K.
    I'm reading all the posts with sympathy, but whatever turns out with it in real, from now on we have to expect worse for the future I guess.
    The non-turbo era V8s' sound will attract next generation as V12 Colombo did to us.

430jm likes this.
  3. BillHartman67

BillHartman67 Karting

Sep 25, 2021
    Montvale, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bill Hartman
  4. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    F2003-GA and KenU like this.
  5. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    Nope.

Napoli likes this.
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    F8 sounds sucks too though. Incredibly underwhelming.

7. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    They really don't want you to hear this car without music and special effects, do they?

And the tag line "fun to drive" for a Ferrari is just sad.

Napoli likes this.
  8. BillHartman67

BillHartman67 Karting

Sep 25, 2021
    Montvale, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bill Hartman
    day355, Cigarzman, ouzo12 and 6 others like this.
  9. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    That's perfect, it's even battery operated also! :)

Dragster and JTSE30 like this.
  10. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    From Ferrari Magazine:

https://www.ferrari.com/en-EN/magazine/articles/six-packed-the-history-of-the-v6

“Indeed, some sense of how the V6 engine sounds and performs can be gleaned from the fact that, during its development the engine earned itself the nickname ‘piccolo V12’ – little V12. How would Dini himself describe its sound? “It’s very involving,” he says. “You can feel the performance from the sound, right in your stomach. The air being sucked in, the injectors, the combustion, the exhaust – it’s like an orchestra.”

11. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    at the Tampa 296 event they started it up and we all thought it sounded really good shockingly good...many comments about how the 296 sounds way way better that the F8.

12. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    This is a very informative article about how V6 and V12 engines can sound the same because of architecture. \

There is very significant work for each vehicle model on induction and exhaust that each create and/or modify sound. Then there is the issue of how that sound is delivered into the car interior. Both passively and actively. Passively can be as simple as material or headliner channeling for some vehicles on induction to radiate a certain sound frequency into the cabin. As well as diffusion for the exterior. Ferrari has a brand on sound and I am sure they are focused on delivering it in innovative ways.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/why-do-different-engine-configurations-make-different-sounds/

Then there is the issue of turbocharging which can effect maximum rpm compared to an NA engine. Which limits the turbo car's high end frequency and volume.

Great video here of hearing the sound on Fiorano.

I am confident that the 296 will sound better than the F8. Significant work on tuning on induction/exhaust/etc is a big plus for the 296. SF90 to Pista range is my guess.

Caeruleus11, mrchaztsai and ScrappyB like this.
  13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Just to remind the GPF and turbocharged 296 6-cylinder hybrid does not sound anything like the V12 in an F12 or non-GPF 812. Different universe. Not sure if you were implying such.

elephantgrinds, ouzo12 and BigJay2050 like this.
  14. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    I thought the 296 would sound like the 2006 F1 car. At least. :)

Agree that it is not going like the TdF or a 2019 812. But I do believe much better than the F8. So I wasn't suggesting another universe into the ultra excellent land of the V12 we love. Just in the same solar system. :)

15. BillHartman67

BillHartman67 Karting

Sep 25, 2021
    Montvale, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bill Hartman
    Not sure about this but I do not believe that F1 cars have a gas particle filter (GPF), muffler or silencer?

;)

16. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    #41 gzachary, Jan 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    Ok, I guess no one is getting my sense of humor in the last couple of posts :)

I believe the great state of California I am in is about to rule that all F1 cars need to have GPF, silencers, mufflers, and cones of silence that hover above the car that scavenge sound and pollution. The governor of California has made a decree stating that all cars except the 296 must be this way. lol. Happy New Year to all. :)

Sushistar likes this.
  17. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I got it…. :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula 3

Dec 2, 2011
    conclusion after reading this thread: we live in sad era of vacuum cleaners invasion :D :D :D :D let's hope atlest successors of 812, Avendador or Huracan will keep NA, after varanty you can remove GPF, there was some issuse with sensorce but top exhaust system producers will solve it

F2003-GA likes this.