296 cabin space | FerrariChat

296 cabin space

Discussion in '296' started by pk328, Nov 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pk328

pk328 Karting

Oct 16, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There's a thread over on Pistonheads of people who have spent time with the 296 at dealer launch events complaining that the cabin space is significantly tighter than the 458/488/F8., to the point that some could not fit.

Is that the experience of those on here who have sat in the car?

mdrums and BillHartman67 like this.
  2. SJU

SJU Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Sal J
    Yes. I sat in the car in Austin last month. It felt 911 size. Later I saw 2 guys sitting in the car and their shoulders were nearly touching.

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’ve always enjoyed the spacious feel inside modern Ferraris.

4. SJU

SJU Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Sal J
    It actually felt more “enclosed” than my 911 since there is no space behind you

5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I wonder how it feels compared to my Mclaren, which is pretty tight but I like the snug feeling given the performance.

6. mrchaztsai

mrchaztsai Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2020
    Hong Kong/Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Charlie T
    It definitely feels slightly smaller compared to the 458 but I wouldn't say it was a significant difference. I did think the new seats were WAY more comfortable than the older carbon race seats though, not tight and a lot more support in necessary areas. Would love to see how they hold up on a long drive though.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. BillHartman67

BillHartman67 Karting

Sep 25, 2021
    Montvale, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bill Hartman
    i am 6,2” and the headspace is very tight. Much lowered than F8. The seating position is much more reclined as well.

8. AliPaPa

AliPaPa Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    It felt tight and smaller than F8. I sat in both during the launch event.

It seems the floor is raised for the battery and the door silk is more thick. Also I noticed the A pillar and "window" frame don't really cover up the whole A pillar when you look close up. Like you can still see the interior trim of the A pillar from outside when the door is closed. I am hopping it is due to the fact that Ferrari is making the chassis more robust enhancing the handling matching the "Fun to Drive" scheme

Image Unavailable, Please Login

inox likes this.
  9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ive noticed this too and to my eye it looks poor. How was it in person?

10. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thought that odd from the start. I don’t know how that window seal and structure look on other “visor” type designs. Maybe it is for wind noise or crash safety or maybe it was set up that way so the a pillar and roof structure works for both gtb and gts?

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think the battery is behind you. The headroom is likely due to a lower roof line. I’m happy they made a car that is actually smaller.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

F2003-GA, ryalex and 400GT4doors like this.
  12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The battery is placed behind the seats, not under the floor.

13. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I suspect this particular seal to outer body panel mismatch through the window will go away if you were to add a mere 60% VLT window film. Darker would be even more effective at masking it. Most tints have a slight level of increased reflectance which could be enough to buffer against this.

14. AliPaPa

AliPaPa Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    You guys are correct the battery is placed behind the seat.

So what make the floor seems to be raised? Anybody sat in it feel the same?

15. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    I am 6' 3" (191cm) and slightly long in the leg and I found it a tighter fit than the F8 with the same seats (carbon sports) as I have in the F8.

I am holding off until a decent length test drive which also gives me a chance to hear the engine notes. I am not worried about "loudness" but want to hear if the V6 is better like the Ferrari personal claim.

16. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I've been told by my dealer they will be handing out a lot of test drives (previously they've been reluctant to do so, annoyingly) for the 296 as a lot of people remain unconvinced and are holding back on ordering until they get some wheel time!

17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’d love to hear some impressions.

18. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    The battery pack is under the floor right behind the seats. Below is taken directly from a Ferrari Technical Guide

Thanks to an innovative design manufactured using laser welding, the 296 GTB’s high voltage battery has a 7.45 kWh capacity and a competitive weight/power ratio. The battery pack is located under the floor to the benefit of packaging (and compactness) and the usability earned by retaining the rear bench.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    Have not yet sat in the car but all my friends who have sat in it at the previews have complained about the headspace and driving position, which I was very surprised to hear. One said to sit comfortably he has to recline the seat all the way back “chav” style. He has gone back from speccing Assetto Fiorano for track day usage, as at there is no way you can sit correctly with a helmet on (even in 458/488 you have to nudge your head in with a helmet). We are all approx 6’ 1”-6’3”

willcrook likes this.
  20. Mark Blanchard

Mark Blanchard Karting

Nov 26, 2020
    UK, Oxfordshire
    Full Name:
    Mark Blanchard
    I'm 6ft 5 and the 296 was difficult to get in and out of (my 360 is fine). The car I sat in had the racing seats which didn't help, maybe easier with standard seats.

21. ferrarist

ferrarist Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Istanbul / TURKEY
    Full Name:
    I.K.
    Don't complain about lack of space, they are trying to give us a nostalgic experience:D

SECRET likes this.
  22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The pillar separating the window is a very poor design flaw. The side windows should be a single pane of glass without any pillar resulting in a continuous and sleeker aesthetic. As for interior space- no issues. Still comfortable and easy ingress and egress.

23. gauhog

gauhog Rookie

Nov 18, 2014
    wilmington,de
    I got the opportunity to sit in the car at the PHL (Algar) intro, and yes I found it tight, I'm 6'-3". That car had standard seats I believe. The other interesting thing was, the Ferrari Rep. said the car weighed 3600 lb.

24. Lcawley

Lcawley Karting

Nov 16, 2011
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Lance C. Cawley
    Getting one for my wife as the size is smaller closer to her 911, she likes the smaller car

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  25. DavisJ

DavisJ Karting

Dec 31, 2019
    Yike - there are fewer things more important than the way a car "feels" in side. I have always believed the key different betweent reading/watching reviews and going to see for yourself is how the car fits to you.

One of the magical thinks about the Porsche 911 is the visibility and driving position. I will never forget how terrible the seats were on the lambos and some of the recaro audi S series were to Me.

I love my 458 seating position. One of the subtle wonderful things about the mclarens are the driving position.

If the 296 has an awkward cockpit that will be a tough one for many folks.

Napoli likes this.