FORMULA 1 OOREDOO QATAR GRAND PRIX 2021 - Lusail - Qualifying. ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀ | Page 4 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 OOREDOO QATAR GRAND PRIX 2021 - Lusail - Qualifying. ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Nov 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I saw senna at donnington in 93 win by a lap over a Williams so… that’s bs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ricksb likes this.
  2. Natkingcolebasket69

There are 3 races left. Let’s see anything can happen. Getting 14 points on Verstappen is a lot
    What happened to gasly can happen to anyone tomorrow

ricksb likes this.
  3. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    You think past champions who had the best car was 5% their own merit?

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Lewis car is blatantly a ringer. Benz isn't even trying to hide it anymore. Bottas car is the car as it should be by the rules. Verstapins car is faster.

Hamilton could not catch Max if we was out front for most of the season.

Suddenly Max has zero chance to even maintain a 3 second gap for anything more then a lap. There's no way Hamiltons car is legal..or not taking advantage of a massive loop hole in the rules.

Maybe reverse DAS.. he is doing somthing with the wheel again and makeing the back end of that car squat significantly increasing straight line speed.

5. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    In earlier races Hamilton couldn't get close to Max. Was Max's car legal?

ricksb likes this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Benz was having admitted difficulties early on in the season. Lewis car has some how found an extra almost 44 kmph in the straights.. that is huge

375+ and classic308 like this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

It’s also tracks that require power… Lewis didn’t so well on tracks needing aero but did well on every power tracks.

ricksb likes this.
  8. Attached Files:

9. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Redbull has gained advantages over the season. But nobody here said the car was illegal.

10. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    In the drivers interview Bottas did say something change on his car from yesterday, going from fastest to 3rd

11. ferrariforevervp

Sep 22, 2006
    Assuming 3 wins out of 3 races for Hamilton and Verstappen gets 3x 2nd, that's a 21 points difference. (assuming sacrificing Perez every race for avoiding Hamilton getting fastest lap points)
    Unfortunately I think it's Hamilton's championship to loose, given his current pace... I feel very frustrated for Verstappen as this season he has made less mistakes than Hamilton and as a Schumacher/Ferrari fan I really don't want to see Hamilton breaking Schumacher's 7x WDC record.

jpalmito and classic308 like this.
  12. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Mega lap from Ham. And mega from Alonso too! The rest - average to poor performances.

Lots of salty posts on here from the RB fanboys. I can understand it. It’s hard to go from being on the front foot, to suddenly having to fight to stay in the game. No doubt the arch whinger, Horner, will be launching various protests imminently- if he has the evidence.

Either way, last time I looked, points were awarded on Sunday, so let’s see how the race goes before declaring world war three. I suspect the variables of fuel load and tire wear will play a bigger role here than you might think. And those razor curbs are certain to catch people out and break cars. Bring it on!

13. Natkingcolebasket69

You are assuming.
    Now let’s assume max takes Hamilton out on racing incident this GP, Hamilton wins the last 2 with max getting fastest lap in one of them… then max is WDC by 1 point.
    Stop assuming.
    MS was a different era & his records have all been broken by Hamilton. Doesn’t make Hamilton better than him.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  14. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
  15. ferrariforevervp

Sep 22, 2006
    I'm rooting for Verstappen to win the championship in whatever way, even if that includes taking Hamilton out... (and don't get disqualified). When Verstappen gets equal points, he wins the championship as he would have more wins than Hamilton this year.

16. Natkingcolebasket69

ricksb, ktu, classic308 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Donnington 93 was under rain and Senna was/is the best driver in the rain.

classic308 likes this.
  18. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Horner will not be doing anything. RedBull are simply slower. Even Horner on camera agree'd LH lap was a very good one.

Bottom line is this track works for Mercedes based on the type of corners it provides. The next 2 races focus more on straight line speed and in that measurement Mercedes have ALWAYS been strong. Horner is just unhappy Mercedes have even more potentially.

19. DF1

#95 DF1, Nov 20, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    Guess Max gets to say 'Hi' in person this week. He told the team over the radio last week to say Hi to the Stewards after his pathetic weaving on LH before he was passed yields black / white flag.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/verstappen-summoned-to-stewards-for-double-waved-yellow-flags-infringement/6802833/

Verstappen summoned to stewards for yellow flags infringement in Qatar qualifying

By: Jonathan Noble
    Co-author: Alex Kalinauckas
    Nov 20, 2021, 12:45 PM
    Max Verstappen has been summoned to see the stewards at Formula 1’s Qatar Grand Prix after allegedly ignoring double waved yellow flags on his final qualifying lap.

Verstappen's hearing with the stewards will take place at 1pm local time (10am GMT) tomorrow - four hours before the start of the Qatar GP.

For recent grands prix, the FIA has automatically deleted lap times in practice and qualifying when double waved yellows are shown – but there has been no notification about that happening for qualifying so far.

Should Verstappen be found guilty of ignoring the flags, he would lose his final lap time and could also face a grid penalty on safety grounds.

20. 'Different era but Jacky (Ickx) was very good in the rain also.

21. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/fia-conducts-extra-rear-wing-checks-after-qatar-f1-qualifying/6802961/

FIA conducts extra rear wing checks after Qatar F1 qualifying
    By: Luke Smith
    Co-author: Adam Cooper
    Nov 20, 2021, 12:22 PM
    The FIA has introduced additional rear wing technical checks after Formula 1 qualifying in Qatar as part of a fact-finding mission amid ongoing complaints from Red Bull about Mercedes.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Red Bull enquired with the FIA about Mercedes’ rear wing design over the Sao Paulo Grand Prix weekend after team boss Christian Horner noted Lewis Hamilton’s “mind-boggling” top speed at Interlagos.

Horner said on Friday in Qatar that Red Bull was prepared to protest Mercedes as it questions the legality of its design, noting alleged score marks on the main plane of the W12’s rear wing.

Ahead of qualifying in Qatar, Horner said on Sky Sports F1 that he was “really delighted” that the FIA had “introduced a fact-finding mission here” and that new tests would be introduced after qualifying.

The FIA confirmed to Autosport after qualifying in Qatar that the additional rear wing tests had been introduced, starting on Saturday night, to help gather new technical information.

"As part of our normal checks we have a very well-defined list of tests that we do, described either in Article 3.9 or in TD018, on all cars to check conformity,” said an FIA spokesman.

“The tests you have heard about are intended to gather information and do not form part of the regulatory requirements, but rather could lead to new criteria being applied in the future.

“We will be reviewing these tests with the Technical Group.”

It marks the latest development in the rear wing saga between Mercedes and Red Bull in the closing stages of their F1 title battle.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes W12

Photo by: Charles Coates / Motorsport Images

Mercedes F1 chief Toto Wolff said on Friday that he was not concerned about questions over the legality of the rear wing, while trackside engineering director Andrew Shovlin did not understand Red Bull’s claims about the apparent score marks.

“We've invited the FIA to look at it as much as they want, and they don't have any issue with what we've got,” Shovlin said.

“We go to every circuit, we look at what the fastest wing we have is, and that's the one that we'll bolt to the car. And that's what we'll keep doing.”

Horner claimed that the FIA test would see an amount of load get added to the back of the rear wing, estimating it would be equivalent to 70-80kg.

“It’ll be ramped up in stages, so you’ll be able to measure the deflection,” Horner said.

“It’s great that the FIA are being proactive, they’re looking at it. Because our concern isn’t so much here, where straight-line speed isn’t at the premium it is at potentially Saudi and Abu Dhabi.

“We’re glad that they’re taking this very seriously.”

Asked by Autosport about the added tests on Saturday in Qatar, Wolff said: “I think they’re trying a new load test, also for next year, to have these things more robust and checking how much a wing deflects.

“I think it’s not in the regulations or there is no TD, but it’s more of an experiment. But it will be interesting to see the results, because I believe we [will be] on the good side.”

Alpine executive director Marcin Budkowski told Autosport that the rear wing debate was “one of these things that you have to get closure on”.

“We have to make sure that the rules are clear, and that everybody is complying with the rules,” Budkowski said.

“So our wings are being checked as well tonight in parc ferme. There are standard checks, and they can do more checks if they want to.

“If it's on flexibility, I think it's the right thing to do for the sport."

22. DF1

Ferrari changes Leclerc's F1 chassis after discovering crack
    By: Filip Cleeren
    Co-author: Luke Smith
    Nov 20, 2021, 1:09 PM
    Ferrari will change Charles Leclerc's chassis after it sustained a crack during qualifying for Formula 1's Qatar Grand Prix, as the Monegasque driver faced early elimination in Q2.

23. DF1

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/993565/1/bottas-sainz-under-investigation-over-yellow-flag-infringements

Valtteri Bottas and Carlos Sainz are the latest Formula 1 drivers to be called to the stewards over allegedly not respecting waved yellow flags during Qatar Grand Prix qualifying.

Red Bull’s Max Verstappen is also facing an investigation following qualifying at the Losail International Circuit.

Yellow flags were waved at the end of Q3 for a slowing Pierre Gasly after the AlphaTauri driver suffered front wing damage and a puncture after running wide at Turn 15 on his final lap of qualifying.

Sainz will visit the stewards ahead of Sunday’s inaugural race at 1.30pm local time (10.30am GMT), 30 minutes after Verstappen’s own hearing.

24. DF1

Both Perez and Bottas think they had tire related issues that affected their Qualy - https://www.crash.net/f1/news/993545/1/bottas-little-bit-confused-overnight-loss-performance-qatar

Valtteri Bottas has admitted that he’s “a little bit confused” by his loss of performance in Formula 1 qualifying relative to practice at the Qatar Grand Prix.

Bottas was the man beat in practice ahead of qualifying, topping FP2 and FP3 at the Losail International Circuit.

The Finn couldn’t continue his fine form into Q3, only managing third on the grid, over 0.6s shy of Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton.

Reflecting on qualifying in Qatar, Bottas revealed that he struggled to get his tyres up to temperature for the opening sequence of corners.

“Yes, it’s been a good weekend so far,” he said. “Until the qualifying started, for me, I felt really strong and confident I was feeling very comfortable in the car.

--https://www.crash.net/f1/news/993563/1/perez-blames-change-f1-tyre-preparation-q2-exit-qatar

Sergio Perez has blamed a change of approach by Red Bull on how it prepares its tyres in Qatar for his surprise exit in Q2 in Formula 1 qualifying.

Perez only managed 11th in qualifying at the Losail International Circuit - the first time he hasn’t made Q3 since Zandvoort.

Tyre preparation is a key aspect in F1 with teams keen to complete their outlaps as slow - or in some cases fast - as possible to ensure the tyres are in the right window for the duration of the lap.

Perez felt that Red Bull’s new approach didn’t work as his tyres weren’t up to temperature when he started his final lap in Q2.

“We changed a bit our approach with our tyre prep,” he said. “We probably didn’t get on top of it come quali and then we weren’t able to have clean outlaps most of the time and that meant going into sector one I was pretty low with the tyres and the grip.”

gh0st0 likes this.