It's on purpose right? | FerrariChat

It's on purpose right?

Discussion in 'F1' started by paulchua, Nov 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I noticed F1, more so than other sports, has no qualms about spoiling the results of races, qualifications, even practice. The practice truly boggled my mind. My wife suggested it is on purpose, so it incents folks to watch live.

It makes sense to me.

What do you think? Are we wrong?

edit: to clarify, I meant as in posting results conspicuously in the news release/post race report (i.e. Verstappen wins today’s race) versus (i.e. Race winner is….)

Il Tifoso and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Ever watched/followed America's Cup sailing? Much smaller market, but a lot of the same issues/intrigue.

paulchua likes this.
  3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Professional sports is a business and a form of entertainment...nothing else. Whatever makes something more entertaining and therefore more interesting to watch (money) is what they will do. It's not about for the love of the sport.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Oh, I agree, but I imagine most revenue is watching a live telecast? Hence is that why F1 media purposely puts results in headlines?

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I never did, but do they also put the results on races in titles? I've often felt the winner should be revealed inside the article. Sometimes, I'll simply go to F1.com to research something, and bam - I get spoiled on the race I'm literally watching.

6. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think I misinterpreted your OP. My mind was on all the controversy of the T4 incident and reviews/reviews/reviews, possible changing of results, etc.

paulchua and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Same. I thought he meant spoiling the results by purposely altering the race order or with penalties to ensure a close championship. I guess he meant literal spoilers in headlines so no reason to DVR a race as you end up reading all about it before then. In which case it's not specific to F1, but rather all live entertainment. Lots of sports have gone to social media to interact with fans and that means they post results/info immediately to engage with the audience. And it's not just sports, but even live telecasts on TV. For instance, Saturday Night Live is aired live on the east coast as always 11:30PM ET, but it wasn't for a very long time on the west coast. With the rise of social media, fans on the west coast were left out when twitter was blowing up with people talking about jokes and skits in real-time. Then SNL made the telecast live for pacific time 8:30 PM PT. That happened for the first full season back in 2017.

8. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Not at all, it is a contrived show and one I predicted at the start of the season....the Max / Lewis showdown - it's a vain attempt to rekindle the Prost / Senna wars. Some fall for it to this day!
    Best
    Tony

lorenzobandini likes this.
  9. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Many other sports/teams post spoiler alerts as well (especially now with the proliferation of social media) and it is infuriating to me as I can't always watch a sporting event live. I've made this comment on social media and received blow back for it so, I guess many people are not bothered by this trend. I think it's just a function of sports leagues and teams (and the media covering them) trying to make as much money as possible, they really don't care if that means spoiling it for those of us that need to DVR the events.

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    For the Brazilian GP the absolute morons of F1 put an image of the winning car/driver on the MAIN PICTURE of the F1 TV replay. Literally you load up the F1 TV page, and that was the first picture there. What's wrong with showing a giant Brazilian flag and RACE written on it instead? Did it not occur to them that just maybe, different time zones exist and not everyone can get up at 3am in the morning on a monday to watch a GP?

11. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    You're just not a real fan, then. :p

sjd
    ...also not a real fan.

paulchua and Bas like this.
  12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    :p

paulchua likes this.
  13. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I found P1 and P2 to be anticlimactic. Let's see what P3 and Qualifying shows us. My take on today is the straight out of the box (off the plane) the Mercedes has more stuff working. And Red Bull doesn't know what they are doing, right or wrong, yet. And Max is worried. Lewis is driving like a front runner and Max is driving like he's starting to see it slip away. Not the right approach to winning the title.

14. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    I thought Nascar and Indy car have been way worse. Anytime I'd go to checkout the highlights it'd be in the thumbnail, and title "so and so wins the XXX 350" Like wtf is the point to even watch that now?

Bas likes this.
  15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I don't see how Max is driving as if he sddenly feels the pressure. Ahead of Lewis, well ahead of his teammate. Lewis on the other hand is behind his teammate and behind Max.

That said I do agree that the Mercs are ahead...Lewis on his old engine not the brazil spec one so he'll find at least 5 tenths on bottas in quali if not more.

16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Max takes his second place finishes like a man. LULU complains , bono this and Bono that and why why why. LULU is feeling the pressure.

17. Hmmmf. http://file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/TenTenths%20Motorsport%20Forum%20-%20Smilies_files/hmmmpf.gif What does that remind me of?

Let me seee.....

Oh yeah. The many posters on here whining because they don't like Lewis..... :)

18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Bas likes this.
  19. 'Know who's worse?

People that have to post things such as......

"Not dislike but despise. Soon he'll be wearing a Nomex miniskirt to go with his skittles helmet."

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Thx you are entitled to your opinion as am I.

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks, I mean actually literally putting results in headlines, I don’t see that much other sports, but f1 they always put results in title. It’s new to me!

classic308 likes this.
  22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    after literally driving his competition (5 car widths) off the road.

23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Good im glad. But Mitch that has nothing to do with my post.