1972 Ferrari 365 GTC/4 or a brownie got a new lease on life… | FerrariChat

1972 Ferrari 365 GTC/4 or a brownie got a new lease on life…

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by -CD-, Nov 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    After buying the car a year ago i thought i start a thread about the search, purchase and project
    because as one if the rare survivor Gobbone it‘s a car worth to shown with a little more detail
    than some pics in the several GTC/4 threads.

I always had a focus on the GTC/4 because of it‘s cool look and beauty in my eyes and after driven
    several Daytonas a drive with the Gobbone a decade ago was an eye opener, what a honey to drive!
    I‘m still too tall for a really comfortable seat position and that‘s a real problem due my bad back
    but ignoring this point as i seat even more bad in a Daytona, the car is so undervalued and
    in my eyes for 50-70% less Daytona price a real bargain.

But to be straight i bought it while on a Daytona search… :D
    With be more iconical and race pedigree in the history books i thought it‘s the better choice
    but i‘m a type of „daily“ driver and the Gobbone is so useable and then there ist the cool look,
    the beauty of elegance, the small production number and this very original car #16235 came to focus.

After i recognize that german classic Ferrari dealer and collecter Mario Bernardi offered a real survivor
    i got hooked and i bought it end of 2020 with the plan of a project to bring it back to mechanical perfection while preserving the very very original condition and cheerish the patina.

A much bigger project than planned but i will show the steps in the thread.

The first three years wasn‘t known by Mario but Marcel Massini, like always, was a pure joy of information
    about history and proveance and Marcel supported me with all the paperwork since day 1
    and fill the 3 year gap of history.

After a friend informed me that the first owner is no othe than Luigi Lucchini,
    Marcel confirmed it with the paperwork of the first year and it‘s one
    of the details which made the car for me even more special and i‘m very thankfull for his
    history/provenance support.

Luigi Lucchini as a thoroughbred Ferrarista, friend of Pininfarina, LdM, and more, one of the biggest F collectors in history, bought the car end of 1972 at Crepaldi Milan.
    Registered in 1973 he drove it one and a half year before Crepaldi sold the car to the second owner,
    a owner of a chemical company and two years later it went in the hands of a swiss Lady who drove
    the car for 40 years, then Mario bought the car, sold a to a collector who never registered and didn’t drove the car for some years, Mario bought it back, kept it for some years and i finally got it last year.

And there the project already started because Thomas Kunz, former Eberlein classiche expert, now in partnership with Bruno Saft at BS Sport, checked the car and we directly transported it to their workshop.

Some first impressions:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hawkeye, audi_328, pshoejberg and 8 others like this.
  2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Marrone Colorado is a fantastic color for a 365 GTC/4.
    So typical early 1970s (remember the flower power era and the hippies?).
    16235 is one of 72 units (365 GTC/4) originally painted Marrone Colorado 2.443.221.

Please enjoy the "brownie" in good health. I like brownies too.

Marcel Massini

technom3, AndreB, donv and 5 others like this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    :)
    I also, fresh from the bakery

readplays likes this.
  4. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Lovely. I’ve seen many of your images on IG. Enjoy in good health. It must be a great companion to your verde 550.

-CD- likes this.
  5. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Thank you Marcel! Yes, the colour is so nice, typical 70s but also elegant and
    fits very well with the VM3218 beige interior.

And there we‘re in the first step of project, survivor outside and also inside.
    Interior was not cherished by the Lady who drove it nearly 40.000 Km in 40 years
    but she kept the car in good condition and nobody at any workshop touched or changed a detail
    (beside the radio) and so we found a complete untouched interior which needs a little love
    but turned out, i dare to say, as one of the nicest original GTC/4 interiors.

Perhaps the italians often didn‘t car much about gaps and fittings, stitching, etc. but the GTC/4
    was overall a good made and the materials with Connolly and wool carpets were very good
    and these materials were always durable and today you often can detail them to a very good condition
    when not worn out.

In this case it works very good! The original mousehair, which at some eras still show some hair :)
    and a nice slightly faded and homogen colour and nice elephant skin we don‘t touch, only a carefull
    cleaning.

The carpest got a deep cleaning.

Leather and foam a deep detailing, some foam repairs, colour correction and leather condition.
    All stitching were perfect, no deep scratches or cracks. But some wrinkles and colour defaults.
    And it was always parked and stored dry and the interior has a very nice smell!

peterp, FrankBarnard, tritone and 5 others like this.
  6. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Thank you! Yes it is! Especially the 550 is one of my alltime favorites, i love this model and searched for green one since 2008 and it actual get a similar detailing project like the GTC/4.
    Last but not least the verde 550 is a car Marcel thankfully was involved, because it was he who directly connected me to Niki Hasler and i got a quick and smooth deal!
    Car generated a big interest at the day and thanks to Marcel i was the lucky one.

611LW, -K1- and Marcel Massini like this.
  7. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    After the interior detailing wasn’t a small work, it was nothing compared to the technical work.
    Car was used for 40 years and always serviced but some details shown some wrong works
    and unfortunately on a last service the forget to ad radiator protection and some eras show leakage
    but compression was very good and the engine healthy but i want to drive and i wanted
    a car without any trouble so we decide after starting the work that we do it 100%.

To make a long story short, only two cam lobes show pitting and we ordered a full cam shaft set.
    Pistons, cylinders, crank, all was in very very good and we done a top end rebuild and carfully
    engine rebuild with using a lot of the original material in the mood of „never change a running system“.

We recognize the engine was never out, never open and it was a pure joy to see the progress.
    An eye always on original parts and look.
    As example, the water thermostat always changed on the GTC/4 with the later black metal 365/400 part with
    the mountig position at the top were normally is the T pipe and the original silver aluminum thermostat
    bits the dust.
    We did an overhaul of the aluminum thermostat and perserve the 100% original look and function.

Some impressions of the press map, some details of condition.

8. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
  9. westextifosi

westextifosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake
    Christian,
    Your C/4 may well have been Luigi Lucchini’s replacement for my car - 1969 Daytona #12995 - which he acquired in January, 1970 and sold toward the end of 1973.
    Tex

10. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi Christian,

Looks like you went with gold-cad for all the major bits (including the arm cross braces) except for the sway-bar drop links:
    [​IMG]

How confident are you that gold-cad was on all the parts as they came off the car?:
    [​IMG]

There is a discussion going on about those parts possibly being nickel plated on Daytonas, and your "before" photo looks very typical of other photos that I have been looking at that give the impression that these parts might not be gold-cad; so if you examined the parts closely and feel strongly that they were gold-cad then that would provide some support for discounting all such pictures.

Looks gorgeous, regardless, BTW...

11. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    The rear suspension was overhauled 15 years ago but the front arms seem to be untouched, no bill show any work, and it was gold plated!

12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Ferrari 365 GTB/4 chassis #12995 was sold by Luigi Lucchini on the 10 April 1972. Not "toward the end of 1973".
    Luigi Lucchini acquired 365 GTC/4 #16235 on the 30th December 1972.

Marcel Massini

-CD- likes this.
  13. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Ok, that is very interesting. Many thanks for the confirmation.

In general, I've been finding lately that GTC/4s look more likely to be "untouched" than Daytonas, so I'm inclined to give more weight to observations from C/4s...

On the Daytonas, there seems to be some clear indication that some of the early cars had nickel-plated hardware, and your findings would seem to lend credence that they changed to gold-cad at some point.

14. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
  15. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring