The official Daytona SP3 Thread! | Page 15 | FerrariChat

The official Daytona SP3 Thread!

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by Jonathan19, Nov 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I like the J50 better. The rear of the SP3 would be a lot better with 1/2 of the strakes. It could have worked but its not now. Overkill.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

jamalj, cc8s, GirchyGirchy and 6 others like this.
  2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    This car is connected to many "P" cars, not only the P5. The similarities with the P5 are obvious at the rear, but it has something of P4, P6, 512, J50, SP38, etc... The P4 is more marketeable, and maybe there were other logistic inconveniences.

Just because there was not a P5 there doesn´t mean that at Ferrari everybody is stupid and at Ferrarichat everybody is smart.

jamalj, 611LW, Garretto and 5 others like this.
  3. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Thanks! Got a better idea of the channel. It is surprisingly small. Too bad there are no english subtitles in the video as it probably contains interesting information.

4. maximilien

maximilien Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2005
    Capitale of Europe
    Full Name:
    Massimo
    Yes I can confirm contains many interesting information

5. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    ok ...

But the fact (we all now recognize) that Ferrari desperately tried to incorporate disparate elements of the P4, P5, P6, 512, J50, SP38, etc etc into a single Icona doesn't really endorse their skill as designers :(

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    This will go down as one confused looking Ferrari with a confused name to match.

7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    To each his own. I´ve already said that for me, althoguh flawed, the SP3 is more interesting than the rather onanistic SP1/SP2.

Rosso963 likes this.
  8. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Car Kinda Looks Like a Shark:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

crinoid likes this.
  9. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
  10. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    When will Fchat moderators get their heads on straight and create separate section for Icona cars. SP3 doesn't belong in this section, and SP1/2 don't belong in FF/Lusso/F12/812S section.

Square peg, round hole.

jamalj, cc8s, spyderman and 7 others like this.
  11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Sir_Ferrari, elmadi, j09333 and 2 others like this.
  12. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    +1

Just as bad as the strakes at the back are those at the front. Looks like a Zender body kit for a Golf!

13. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    jamalj, Rick Weston, elmadi and 5 others like this.
  14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I seem to have missed that titbit, but that's still about half of what the LaFerrari makes.

Strakes R Us.

rajaramsivasankar and crinoid like this.
  15. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Great points. Another example of top-down leadership lacking...

16. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Fair enough :)

Honestly, i would agree with your descriptor for the new Daytona ... "interesting" ... but that's not necessarily flattering.

Whereas the P4, SP1/SP2, P72 (De Tomaso, still in love) would all qualify as "beautiful" if not "gorgeous" in my eyes.

It may very well be that the new direction for Ferrari design is not intended to evoke words or feelings like "beauty" or "love" ... and that's fine too!! I'm sure that experts in art (more skilled and knowledgeable than myself) could draw comparisons ... there's lots of room in this world for the Picassos as well as the Botticellis :)

17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Perhaps FCS being more focused on delivering a cohesive design rather then checking boxes would have improved the final design.

Senad, werewolf and V12addict like this.
  18. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I think that making a good looking car by just copying an old good looking car is admitting defeat. Look at all those revivals of the Fiat 500, Dodge Challenger, Lamborghini Countach.... Porsche has admitted their own defeat as car designers long time ago, when their front engined cars flopped and decided that they would only build 911s, and cars that looked like the 911. They all are good looking, but without its own personality.

Ferrari has done that too, with the P540 and the Monza, for example. The P4/5 also falls into that category. Very well made copies, but copies after all. If I was paying several million for a car, I´d want the original, not a copy.

sailfly, V12addict and crinoid like this.
  19. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    This is the one feature that bothers me. I'm mostly OK with all the rest, to the point that I like it! Cohesive or not, inspired on P4 or P5, it has great stance and proportions. But looks way, way better in Rosso Magma than in Bianco Italia Opaco!!!

ingegnere likes this.
  20. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    #371 werewolf, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    Adding disparate elements from a dozen or more cars into a single non-cohesive, visually-confusing design doesn't really qualify as "original", either ... does it? My point being: there's PLENTY of "copy work" present in this new Daytona, too ... but it's a grab-bag or smorgasbord of "copy", rather than a single, cohesive design.

21. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Now which one is the one that blew its engine this morning, live on cam?? :(

crinoid likes this.
  22. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I was hoping it was just a radiator hose or something then I saw them dusting the track on the oil. Oh dear. Probably strolls ex car!! LOL JK

23. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I agree in that the quality of the result can be argued. But the only man who never makes mistakes is the one that does nothing. In this case, that would be doing a copy-paste of a 60s sports car, like the De Tomaso P72 or something like that.

24. Thomas Quintin

Thomas Quintin Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Paris France
    Full Name:
    Thomas QUINTIN