FCA Daytona track event | FerrariChat

FCA Daytona track event

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by USMCS6, Nov 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. USMCS6

USMCS6 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2018
    Arlington VA and Daytona Fl
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    Is anyone else doing the FCA event at the Daytona track after the Rolex? I just signed up. The 430 only lives 5 miles from the track so seemed like a no brainer.

2. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I thought about signing up and instructing but I’ve done Daytona so many times before and it’s brutal on the front paint or clear bra I’ve decided not to. If you haven’t done the track it’s a fun day, easy to drive, just a few critical points to be careful at. It’s a very very fast high speed track.

3. USMCS6

USMCS6 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    Thanks. Ive not done it before. I have a professional license but its for Top Dragster. I used to do some oval racing. I just signed up for the entry level. I dont feel like beating the car up. Just a fun day,

mdrums likes this.
  4. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Daytona is a great facility, extremely clean. The track is pretty easy to drive but very fast and demands great attention. You’ll have a ton of fun!

5. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Just buy Track Armor for $25 and cover the front…I do it all my track days and haven’t gotten a single chip.

It is 2x thicker than any PPF and perfect for the track. Temporary and comes off easily.

https://www.amazon.com/TrackArmour-TA3X100-3-100-Temporary-Protection/dp/B07F3CN5CY/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=10A6Y7FRBA5Z6&keywords=track+armor&qid=1637531840&sprefix=track+armor%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Yes do that… cover my ppf with track armor…kinda funny though..lol. I bought some xpel tape too it’s a little nicer but way more money

7. USMCS6

USMCS6 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    Just ordered it. I may try it when I go on longer rides as well. Do you just use on the very bottom nose areas?

8. fastmnstealth

fastmnstealth Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2017
    MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    We registered as well. First road track event for me (I'm a drag racer in a past life). We are trailering the car down from Minnesota and will make it a 10 day vacation.
    I've got the front of the car PPF'd, but it sounds like I should be concerned about my ppf as well. If I use Track Armour, thoughts on areas beyond the obvious? I was planning on the the front, mirrors, side skirts, behind all wheels, headlights. How far up the hood should I go? Any other areas to be sure to hit on a 458?

We are really looking forward to it, but don't want the car to be trashed when we are done.

9. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Gotta protect the PPF with this otherwise you’ll destroy your PPF and have to get it redone as well. PPF is effective for the street, but on track PPF will get eaten alive quickly and beyond the point of repair.

When you’re removing the track armor go slowly and take your time so you don’t pull up your PPF. If you do it’s not a big deal and the PPF can be restuck in that section with a heat gun. If you go slow removing the track armor you won’t have a problem.

10. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I recommend the following areas…

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I forgot to do the mirrors. Also the upper front portion of the roof above top of the windshield.

11. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    Jesus - it looks like you put the car into a large condom….

That said, i would do it also to keep my paint chip free….

eurocarguy101 and ERACobra like this.
  12. PETER@TEAM AI

PETER@TEAM AI Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    We will be there with two 430 Challenge cars, no PPF :) We look forward to it!

13. USMCS6

USMCS6 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    Ended up having a great time at Daytona. These machines are AMAZING when you put them to the use they were envisioned for. They are beautiful on the street and to look at in the garage, but on the high bank turn at 158 mph in Daytona, they shine. I've raced semi professionally in other motorsports but this was a real experience. I hope anyone that gets a chance to, tracks their Ferrari. You don't have to wring it out, but its really a great feeling. I ended up doing 2 30 min stints and I was fried. You have to be "on" all the time around.
    The FCA folks were amazing and I felt they ran a great program. Hopefully they had a professional track photographer there. I would love to get a couple good pictures. I think there were a few F-Chat folks there.

Attached Files:

dan129007 likes this.
  14. fastmnstealth

fastmnstealth Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2017
    MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I was there as well with my Rosso Mugello 458. It was my first track event and doing it on that track was an amazing experience. I had an instructor all day. Really helped and highly recommend. 2.5hrs of track time!!’
    I agree that the FCA folks did an amazing job. Very professional and focus on safety. I felt we had the run of the track and could go pretty much anywhere we wanted. Around track and many of the facilities. I can’t wait for next time! Car faired well. No dings, chips to speak off.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

dan129007, bball16 and wthensler like this.
  15. fastmnstealth

fastmnstealth Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2017
    MN
    Full Name:
    Mark
    @USMCS6 is that you in front of me in my third pic above?

16. USMCS6

USMCS6 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    I'm not sure. Its hard to tell. That might be a spider. Mine has the Tricolor stripe on it. I need to see if there is any pictures that the track photographer took. Nice color on yours!

17. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Love the pics, my friend had his yellow 430 Challenge car out there and sent me an action pic doing about 152.

I ran Sebring on Sunday with my ‘13 458 spider. Very technical track, and excellent event by Chin Racing. I also had an instructor, and chased or got chased by GT3RSs and blown Vettes.

I managed 152mph down the backstretch at Ullmann Straight, quite a thrill!

Agreed 100%, these are great cars to run if properly set up for track use.

Attached Files:

18. dan129007

dan129007 Rookie

Apr 20, 2018
    Florida