Black stallion up for bids on BAT | FerrariChat

Black stallion up for bids on BAT

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Salami, Nov 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    i know there's not a ton of these on the market right now, and theyve been starting to creep up, but that strikes me as a massive overpay for a driver's grade car relative to where the market has been all year. having said that, i do know some people like nero/nero (not me) and it seems to be a rare pairing for these. maybe that's it? i dunno, struggling to get my head around the price on this one.

ralfabco likes this.
  2. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    “Not a ton on the market” is sort of a silly understatement. The mystery isn’t why this one went for this money the mystery was why these WERENT going for this money. These cars have been absurdly overlooked for a long time. Thankfully so, it allowed me to get into one which otherwise I’d have not had the opportunity, but 88k for a classy, hand built, Italian V12 with a gated 6sp, aluminum body, carbon hood, 35 dead cows worth of leather etc etc, for 88k is not what I would call a massive overpay lol. Just curious, do you own one?

Il Tifoso, niftyfivefifty and Mirek like this.
  3. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    I did take care to say specifically "relative to where the market has been all year". I totally agree that these have been undervalued for time immemorial, and accordingly have kept a close eye on the market for when my house finally sold, which was about a month ago. I was hoping to use the opening to get into one, but fear that ship may have sailed, effective today. Many of the other cars that have been auctioned at Monterey and the more recent Rosso Barchetta M on BAT deserved every dollar, and especially that Barchetta which I thought was a bargain. The M that I believe was in Argento that sold at Monterey was priced to market. The '95 on C&B that was RNM in the low 60's I thought was as well. I just didn't that this car was, and unlike all the other times a car went for a higher price than I would have expected, I'm just struggling to understand the reasoning on this one other than general impatience. Nothing wrong with that, I'm not going to tell other people how to spend their money. But behind on service, inop stereo, higher mileage, driver's grade... just don't get it. Alas.

killer58 and Mirek like this.
  4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @yudkib the answer is simple…..”BaT”.

BaT is not real life. It’s largely a glorious fantasy land where instant satisfaction rules.

god bless those rascals over there…..

why ever spend that kind of money without a PPI and pay a buyers premium…..for me the hunt and the digging and the chase is hugely important…..some guys don’t care…. are building collections and to those guys the BaT type format is really nice and easy. Plus to many of those guys “what’s $88,200 plus comish anyway”? ;-)

5. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    The 456 has performed comparable to market on BAT (surprisingly) with today being an exception. @Salami was this your car? Forgot you had a black/black with similar mileage and were considering a sale. I sure hope it was!

6. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    I, for one, seriously hope this is the new market for a super nice driver.... it is a beauty and I believe these are way undervalued. Hopefully this is a jumping off point!

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  7. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    No stop that

8. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I met a guy in NH a few months ago who had just built a massive 40+ car man cave. 20 lifts. Living quarters etc.

We walked around and looked at his cars (guy in his 60’s) and while I didn’t particularly like more than one or two of what he had, I always marvel at guys who collect to that degree.

Well, I went home and found his screename on BaT. Turns out he’s just been winning auctions on there the last 2-3 years. Like, 35+ wins lol. It took some of the allure of “this guys a collector” away from what I thought about him (I’m like you, I love digging and chasing). But they exist. “Click collections”.

9. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I’m embarassed I can’t remember his name….I worked in Boulder for about 3 years (10 years ago) and one of the longtime real estate guys had slightly over 300 cars at the time and I got to take a tour and it was neat….fire trucks, porsches, John Lennon’s old white rolls limo, etc etc etc. If I was a guy that owned or sold a business and had my pockets full….it would be dangerous….I’d have a huge industrial building full and a ridiculous set up for my vintage baja Manx race team… god bless those guys for spending “or investing” and creating “capital movement” in the economy.

The reality is I personally am at 6 and it’s too much…they just sit….really 3 “fun toys” is probably too much (I type this incase my wife is watching)….;-)

Edit….it was Tebo in Boulder….

10. mominayal

mominayal Karting

Feb 2, 2017
    Indiana
    What items specifically seem like they are behind in service?

11. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    The peanut gallery said it was overdue for a major + belt service, but I didn't independently verify because I wasn't planning to bid.

12. mominayal

mominayal Karting

Feb 2, 2017
    Indiana
    A 456m 6spd was just posted on fchat for sale Interested in hearing what u guys think about the ask

13. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    I have to admit yes this was my car and my first listing on bat. I’m happy with the hammer but I will say, I love this car enough that I would’ve been disappointed I very much lower than where it ended up. FYI the vig was 4400$ on this one. There is a cap on that but I don’t know where or how it works.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  14. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @Salami do you already have something to replace it? Or just thinning down the herd?

15. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    @Salami I think you got a really outstanding price. You represented the car well, and the result showed no doubt. Just look at the recent one on Cars & Bids that was RNM at $65k. Glad that you didn't get stuck with that given the no-reserve. You had some big brass ones to roll the dice and it paid off. I figured it would have been in the $65k to low 70's, this was a great number. I think everettpa1 said that $80k was market for a black/black driver on C&B and guess he was right! Time will tell if this is the new normal, but nicely done.
    Also, vig is 5% up to either $5k or 10k (can't remember)

@mominayal I had been going back and forth with the "consignor" via DM and we both thought the seller's ask was... shall we say, optimistic, but after today neither of us know what to think anymore. I haven't decided whether I want to approach the seller. Both he and the "consignor" seem quite pleasant. I do prefer non-M's both on budget and looks, but I can't tell if it's better to jump in now for an M or wait for the right GT but end up paying the same price anyways.

16. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Was this the blk/blk one offered on here last year for $45K? Sure looks like it with red intake and located in Northwest, USA. I considered it. The guy even left me a message, but I just didn't want all black. And, I really didn't want to buy site unseen, and it seemed like a hassle to fly out to see it. My mistake. Looks like Salami got a nice car for a year, enjoyed it, and moved on. Not a bad way for things to work out.

Salami likes this.
  17. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Years ago F/Washington had a green (not a British green) and tan car with low miles for $39,000 or $45,000. 6spd manual. I think it was a 1995.

Great opportunity. The car looked great from the pictures.

Stay away from BaT. The experience is tempting and quite a few buyers make emotional decisions. Stay away !

yudkib likes this.
  18. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This is what these cars should be selling for. Makes me happy as I basically have a comp for Salami's blk/blk. Mine is blk on grey with 40k miles and fewer owners, but I have some details to improve on mine whereas his appeared sorted.

19. Everettpa1

Everettpa1 Karting

Apr 7, 2021
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Everett Burns
    My very first intro to 456s was on BaT last December when a driver in Rosso Monza sold for $66k. Since that sale nearly a year ago I’ve been watching the market closely and decided to buy a GT this fall. No question the GT market is up and going to keep rising. I look at that $88k for the Nero driver that just sold as comparable to that Monza last year putting the GT market up 33%. I know that pricing doesn’t track exactly especially on the no sale Nero on C&B. All of us GT owners should feel proud for already owning such a sleeper classy car at rock bottom prices.

Ferrari55whoa and Mirek like this.
  20. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Yep, that’s how I’m seeing it. I loved this car and I will miss it, and years from now i hope I don’t toil with regret, but as we all know, there are no shortage of shiny things and this was a fun experience all around that netted me a nice little profit so what the heck! As it sat at 60 I was on the fence, I knew all the action is on the last hours but for me, 60 was the tipping point where I’d really rather keep it, so the finish line was good for me. Buyer is stoked. Personally I liked the black leather because it holds up better and the camel that many of these have looks oddly pink to me (I’m color blind) but I never wanted a black car and the black on this car, while gorgeous when clean, is a bit of a hassle and also obscures the gorgeous lines a little imo. Anyway, what should I get next?! Lol.

franschman and Davidspop like this.
  21. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    @Salami I agree with you, I have a Blue/Black interior, I kinda wish it was all black.. I much prefer Black interior as it withstands time so much better. Awesome sale, it's a great car, but I also agree Nero exterior blurs the beautiful lines of the 456 just a tad too much... enjoy the race car!

22. mominayal

mominayal Karting

Feb 2, 2017
    Indiana
  23. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    @mominayal I had seen that floating around a few listing outlets and thought they were totally crazy. Pretty wild stuff if that's true. If this is really what 456's are up to these days I guess I better find out who still has a 2+2 DBS coupe.

24. mominayal

mominayal Karting

Feb 2, 2017
    Indiana
    Man if ppl think a 456 is expensive to maintain (or Ferrari in general) AM is next level. Had a vanquish s many yrs ago. Did not sleep the entire 18m I owned it lol.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.