328 sticky accelerator pedal | FerrariChat

328 sticky accelerator pedal

Discussion in '308/328' started by CDBELL, Oct 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CDBELL

CDBELL Rookie

Dec 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    Chance Bell
    Hi All, my accelerator pedal on my 328 has become hard to depress at the very begining, like a sticky spot. then responds as normal throughout the rest of an acceleration. This is making it hard to drive especially at low speeds. It requires more pressure to get past the sticky spot then let's up so you go from 0 rpms to 3000 rpms without meaning to. Does anyone know if there is a joint that needs to be greased or adjustment that can be made to get rid of this?

2. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Try and WD 40 the linkage at the pedal, as well as at the throttle body. Or even better, just go ahead and replace the acc cable, as well as the clutch cable. It will be well worth it, I did, and never looked back. There is an adjustment at the throttle body, not much, I think your best bet is just to replace it, its the original , Im sure, and its obviously stretched out .

Thank you

mike996 and CDBELL like this.
  3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Replace the cable. Lube all joints.

CDBELL likes this.
  4. Aus_yz

Aus_yz Rookie

Sep 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mika
    When my qv had a sticky throttle I found the inner cable was freyed . New cable is the go as stated above.

CDBELL likes this.
  5. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Spray some WD40 on both cable ends and then grease. WD40 will dry out after a while...

6. Plutonium

Plutonium Karting

Jul 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    1980 308 GTSi
    I had a similar issue with my 308, greased/sprayed everything, helped a bit but once I changed the cable it was rectified. It was quite impressive how bent and linked the original was, right close to the washer/grommet.
    Not sure if the 328 has a similar set up.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Do yo have to remove the oil filter when replacing the cable?

8. Plutonium

Plutonium Karting

Jul 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    1980 308 GTSi
    Not for my 308. It was a bit tricky to thread it through the intake manifold properly but it was no where near the oil filter.
    I think the last person that tried to change the throttle cable didn’t remove the grommet and was just pushing in it that kinked it there. I had no problem threading the new one through the tubing once the grommet was out. It was very easy to thread it incorrectly under the intake and have it rubbing so I’d look out for that.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Removing the oil filter gives you a lot more space for your hand.

10. Plutonium

Plutonium Karting

Jul 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    1980 308 GTSi
    Good to know! I just struggled through it without even contemplating removing it. Didn’t take too long or too many tries but I’m sure there was room for optimization.

11. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Check the bellcrank at the throttle, if it becomes loose or out of alignment it will cause this exact symptom.

Dave Bertrand likes this.
  12. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    #12 dave80gtsi, Oct 31, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  13. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Replace the cable, you really can't lube them. It never works. Grease the linkages & bearings first if you want to try that but if they are all moving OK & its the cable then the only option is replacement.

14. TM328

TM328 Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    New England
    I had a similar issue and it was my floor mat holding the pedal in position.

15. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    I had this issue some time ago on my 328. Performed all the maneuvers suggested above including replacing the throttle cable without success. Ultimately what solved the issue was re-greasing the pivot bushing on the throttle body (see the annotated photos for location details). Upon disassembly I found the bushing in question caked with dried grease. Throttle sticking completely resolved after thoroughly cleaning the bushing and re-greasing. Hope this helps!

peterp likes this.
  16. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "I had a similar issue and it was my floor mat holding the pedal in position."

I'm embarrassed to say that I once worked on a Porsche 911 turbo that was brought in because it couldn't produce full boost/power. We did some checks/tests for about an hour until we discovered that the problem was the floor mat had bunched up underneath the accelerator pedal so it couldn't fully depress! :rolleyes:

17. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    The floor mat issue is better known as Italian cruise control.

Saabguy likes this.
  18. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I once spent about 45 minutes trying to get my lawnmower to start. I checked a bunch of things and replaced the spark plug, air filter and engine oil. Of course, I could have saved a lot of time and trouble if I had put some gas in it first. I don't know why we so often overlook the simplest causes!

19. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
  20. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
  21. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    You are the MAN I was having the same problem for a long time every one told me replace the Cable and then i see you post
    I removed the sleeve it was all dry and full of hard old grease I had a hard time getting it out, polished it with 600 paper sleeve and hole packed it with high heat grease and all the sticking is gone the idle revs going 1000
    all the time now and the pedal feels very smooth thank you for an easy fix

22. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Fantastic! Very glad it was helpful for you.

23. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Same sort of problem with my 308. The lubricant wasn't really dried up, as much as it had dissipated out of the bearing area. The 308 bushing and bolt is a single piece, but still looks very similar to the 328 setup.

I lightly buffed the bushing with Scotchbrite, slathered on some high-temperature white lithium grease, and reassembled. Test drove it, and it’s nice and smooth now. Photo is just after wiping it clean, pre-buffing.

Glad I saw this thread, it was really sticking bad. Thanks for posting!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I just picked up my 328 from Dave Helms's shop after he replaced my fuel hoses and lubed my throttle pivot points. The pedal is smooth as butter now. :D

25. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    For lube, I used a motorcycle brake / clutch line cleaning kit. Any good motorcycle shop has it.

Start video at 3 minutes.