Buyer Beware - 550 Maranello, ZFFZS49AXY0124571 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Buyer Beware - 550 Maranello, ZFFZS49AXY0124571

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 134282, Oct 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the car was either imported illegally or stolen...... what else could it be?

Texas Forever, ken qv and ralfabco like this.
  2. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    Even if imported illegally, why would someone get rid of the original VIN? I believe stolen is the only answer. When seller says they checked and it doesn’t show as stolen anywhere, he is checking the current VIN, so obviously nothing would show, but if they checked the original, now removed, VIN the result would be different. Thing is, how do you find out what the original VIN was?

ken qv likes this.
  3. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i look fwd to the coming SCM article and lawsuits....

someone should find the real car in europe

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  4. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  5. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    When something looks too good to be true, it probably is. Nothing for nothing in this world guys. 139K for that car. Something fishy.

6. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    FNA or Ferrari corporate should have the ability to check all the VINs?

7. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

My 'guess,' if a serious issue comes up everyone involved turns around and taps the previous seller over the shoulder and sends a certified return receipt letter.

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Yes, and they do not release / sell / provide VIN plates in almost any circumstance without LOTS of paperwork/supporting documents/back and forth with FNA.

9. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i believe i recall the dealer telling me the VIN plate was from FNA...

nowadays they can be fabbed up

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    An extremely rare red gated manual 550 with the 5.5 litre V12 engine, eh. The VIN shenanigans are rare, and you get some relatively rare UAE sand in every crevice, but otherwise, buyer beware.

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Yup, unlike the other 3082 550s.

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Where exactly is it and who exactly is selling it?
    Kind of scary that CarFax didn’t catch it.. what good is it if it can’t recognize a fake vin?

13. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Long story short - carfax is only worth the value you put on it…..we had a group of 6 identical “executives” cars and the only difference was color. One was in a major accident and the same dealer serviced all them and the accident somehow got assigned to the wrong one.

Niteroi likes this.
  14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    In the other direction, there have been a lot of US spec Ferraris for sale in Europe over the past few years. Many have been imported shortly before sale, and few purchasers in Europe know about the existence of carfax in the US. So a car could have all kinds of problems on carfax in the US and be sold here.

It looks like carfax isn't perfect but it's much better than anything we have for cars in Europe. Specifically in the EU market for LHD cars. If you are buying a French delivered Ferrari in Germany that spent much of its life in Spain, for example, you will have no reliable indicator about whether it has been crashed, even badly, or stolen and recovered, or anything much at all. Cars have been spun into metal barriers, flipped and rebuilt and nobody knows - and worse.

15. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Modern generation alignment machines help a lot.. lasers on the wheels type.. can help spot hidden accidents and frame issues. I use on all my cars before I purchase. Saved me once from a very nice looking Ferrari with an unreported accident.

Ryan S., Texas Forever and ralfabco like this.
  16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Ummm...

You can't add or subtract vin.numbers in most states without the supervision of MVD. Now... Does anyone follow the rules? No. But... You are supposed to do it under their supervision.

Now... The other thing that is total BS from their listing is that the car came over from Dubai without a vin.

How did the car leave the country without a vin? You must obtain an export certificate which is provided by the police departments there. No export certificate... Then it's not leaving.

Also... You must declare it to customs... No vin... Likely likely likely zero entry.

Then you have your state inspection for title work... No vin? No pass.

At any one of these steps... A car with no vin would be subject to confiscation.

Now can a car slip through the cracks... Sure... But I will almost garuntee you that car didn't leave Dubai without an inspection and export certificate.

The car had a con. ****ery is afoot

17. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    As I had mentioned when I first posted in this thread eons ago….It should just be a simple check to confirm that all the Vin tags are identical throughout the chassis. It would be bizarre that they were all either altered or missing

18. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    the chassis VIN are MIA

19. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #44 ralfabco, Nov 24, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2021

Years ago a 1991 or 1992 red Diablo was brought over in pieces, by container/containers. I assume the car has a VIN #. The nipple turn signals are located in the front quarter panels and the clock was in KM. The owner drove the car with a paper plate.

No clue how you could legally sell the vehicle to another buyer. Parting it out is the best option.

A Diablo GT/R race car was also occasionally driven around the street with a paper plate. This car never had any VIN.

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    So many cars have been imported as parts and "they get away with it" but you can not take all the parts and reassemble into a car. That is fraud and Homeland security if they catch a wiff even 20 years ago will confiscate and crush if nessecary even if it's got through 11 owner. They do not care. It was imported under false pretenses. Automobiles are automobiles. Parts are parts.

Now the Lambo probably was running a plate from a different car or they got a temp plate issued on a different vin.

That kind of dumb stuff I don't have a problem with when people take track cars and drive them to cars and coffee that's a violation of state law... A slap on the wrist... A fine and whatever.

It's the rolling disaster of a car being imported illegally and the potential innocent victim hanging on to the hot potato that is not cool.

21. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Well that is interesting…

22. Carlmaui

Carlmaui Rookie

Aug 6, 2022
    Maui
    Full Name:
    J Carl
    I have this car in an estate I am liquidating. It now garaged in California. I don’t know much about Ferrari’s or titling. I understand from speaking with a California dealer that this would be difficult to sell and title in California and it looks from this thread like there is some history. Is this car a dead loss or is there someway to sell it legally? Any advice would be appreciated.

Ryan S. likes this.
  23. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Welcome to the website Carl.

Selling should not be a problem...the issue would be titling as that may spook off many (most buyers), especially given a simple google of the VIN leads directly to this thread.

GL, unfortunately as alluded to its a bit of a hot potato.

Ryan S. likes this.
  24. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I can't imagine selling it in CA....impossible is about right.....even if you had a CA title you would have to produce a smog cert.

Does the car have any title?

If the car doesn't have a title then it could always be sold on Bill of Sale and a buyer could go the bonded title route

If the car doesn't have a title then it could also be sold "for off road use only" i.e. as a race car or for parts?

Carl....maybe a refresher on where approximately the car is located, and the particulars could garner "buyer attention" from one of us?

If you had a link with photos or video that would be great. Thx

25. ///Mink

///Mink Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2006
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Mink
    I don't know how you could ethically sell it anywhere. The VIN isn't even valid, as mentioned earlier in this thread. The check digit is wrong.