The correct way to do a rear gear box oil change on a 360 | FerrariChat

The correct way to do a rear gear box oil change on a 360

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pauls, Nov 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    What is the correct way to do a rear gear box oil change?
    I have 2 questions:
    1) I recall being told to loosen the rear pan, lower the car, remove the pan and then raise the car to change the oil. Others say the pan does not need to removed. Can someone tell me what is the proper procedure?
    2) What is the correct way to remove the rear pan?
    I looked for a link without sucess. Thanks!

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Remove the rear bumper, open gear box fill port (12 mm allen head). This is also the dip stick.

Remove drain plug (14mm allen)

After draining, remove filter screen located on left rear side of gear box (8mm or 10mm bolt). This is the reason why the rear bumper needs to be removed to gain access to the filter screen. Clean the screen with some Brake Cleaner solvent..and rinse with water and dry it off with some compressed air.

Replace the copper sealing washer on the drain plug,and install a new o-ring on the filter screen housing. Install.

Fill gearbox with 4 liters of 75w90 synthetic. I use liqui-moly products. Reinstall fill plug with a new washer and snug it down.

Drive the car around the block and recheck the level. Adjust as needed. Final fill level should be 1/2 way between the min and max mark on the stick. Install rear bumper.

V4NG0, DBomb117 and flash32 like this.
  3. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    This, in general bumper has to come off unless you’re one of the folks that cut a hole in the diffuser for easier access. Which I personally am not a fan of

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Jakuzzi likes this.
  4. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Do you know about what a Ferrari dealership would charge for a gear box oil exchange?

5. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Forget that last question. Is this filter typicality removed in a routine gear box oil change? I can’t drill a hole in the diffuser.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Lots of these cars even 20 years on..have never had that filter inspected. Best to have a look if you do not have a service history. Even then..Best to have a look regardless. Lots of shops charge for it, but never do it

2NA likes this.
  7. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Thanks to all!

8. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Tom is correct, most shops don't look at the screen. It takes too much time but that is the right way to do it. It usually is full of sealer from assembly.
    I fill to the middle with the fill dipstick not screwed in. I then run the engine on the lift in gear a bit, that lets the trans oil pump run and then I re check the level and bring it to Minimum not screwed in.

V4NG0 and brian.s like this.
  9. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I have taken out the back bumper 2 years ago to clean my filter. A PIA job without a helper.
    However, I believe Ferrari Designers forgot to install this "Maintenance Port" for frequent gear oil changes.
    Yes, I say this in jest but think of this; WHO did you think designed these other ports on the under-tray?

Just saying!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    I haven’t taken a look but I wonder if a port hole in the diffuser (already mentioned) could be made with a proper rubber plug as those access holes and plugs in the rear center pan? Maybe it would look bad no matter how well it is done. I know this is treason.

11. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Is this the correct way to check the gear oil level? With the dipstick not screwed in? Is it the same for a F430?

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's the same process on the f430 minus the bumper removal. You only need to remove the rear diffuser section on the f430. Leaving the stick loose or snugging it down really is up too the person doing the job. As long as the end result is proper then no worries.

13. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Thanks for the response.

I was commenting on the correct way to check the gear oil level. If it’s checked with the small dipstick screwed in, it will read differently than if it’s just resting on the threads. I’m just trying to find out what’s correct.

14. Fcar tech

Fcar tech Karting

Oct 22, 2021
    Always nearby
    Full Name:
    XXXX
    There is no big difference in the level, whether you leave dipstick loose or tighten it..
    I leave it loose.. you will be in the correct range either way.

tbakowsky likes this.
  15. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Great, thank you. That’s the info I needed.

Happy Thanksgiving!

16. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Check the amount of fluid going in, I've never managed to need more than 3 litres in practice although some quote 4. And definitely undo the filler before the drain. That thing is tight and it usually needs a breaker bar and 1/2" drive hex to break loose (I use a long impact drive hex head). Don't over torque it doing it up either.

17. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I would think just snug for the fill cap. Why the heck is it so tight? There’s no gear oil pressure, correct?

18. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    The tightening torque isn't high, but there's something about the heat cycles and the crush washer that make that sucker very hard to crack open after a year or 2.