The Socal To AZ Garage Build - Input Appreciated | Page 5 | FerrariChat

The Socal To AZ Garage Build - Input Appreciated

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by SoCal to az, Feb 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Thx Peter! Hope you are enjoying sunny AZ!

3. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Just love it here. The weather is great, housing, food, gas, power and garbage, etc. is a lot less than Nor Cal and nobody has thrown rocks at me (yet) for moving here :p

SoCal to az likes this.
  4. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    If you need any memorabilia for the space, I would highly recommend getting in touch with Collector Studio - Fine Automotive Memorabilia here in Toronto. He has some amazing pieces, original LaFerrari Carbon Engine cover, Enzo front bumper etc...that level of "cool".

https://collectorstudio.com/

SoCal to az likes this.
  5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I get his emails. Its amazing stuff for sure. Ive looked at it but its a bit early. Want to stand in the space and evaluate before doing anything.

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Wow...your driveway looks really steep...

7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    yup. It’s certainly not flat.

8. jagged155

jagged155 Karting

Dec 3, 2016
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I’m building in Troon about 30 mins north of you. Looks like we are at the same stage. Best of luck!

SoCal to az likes this.
  9. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Could your builder decide on a driveway entrance grade in advance to make sure your lowest car's front end won't scrape or will it be trial and error when it's finalized/poured?

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    our architect made the driveway as flat as possible. We have approximate 75 feet from street level to where the house sits. Builder is also going to make the transition from street to driveway as flat as possible. Currently they have graded the driveway in dirt and I’m not the least bit concerned about the grade. It’s steep but nothing that is not manageable.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  12. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Do you see the availability of materials as a risk factor for the project? In form of delays or risen costs? Here in Finland it's starting to become a problem. Overall building costs are about 30% up from 2020. Or more.

13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    What I thought I was going to build a house for and what the actual budget came in at is already 40% higher than I anticipated. I was going to pause on the project with the property values who have gone up so much that even with the inflated build cost, if I decide to sell theoretically I could probably sell it for double what I build it out. In this particular area price per square-foot is reaching bay area in New York levels. Now whether it’s the stains or not is a different story, but I’m taking a calculated risk that we’re going to build a house that’s going to be worth much more than what it cost to build..

Thecadster and Mikael-F360 like this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  15. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Quite the endeavor....I have been following this since your first drawings!

SoCal to az likes this.
  16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Progress continues. Nothing exciting to report- just more earth being moved and the pad being flattened. Wont bore you with pictures- will wait to get some additional progress complete. But a question for you all- does anyone have any experience with LED wall panels? Something like this:

https://lednationusa.com/led-video-wall-novastar-p3-91mm-13-1x8-2-indoor-led-video-wall-screen-turn-key/

Im getting the crazy idea that on the wall opposite my office- instead of a mural or blank wall, it would be nice to use that as a TV. If Im sitting up in the office, I can have the big screen display an F1 race. Originally I thought Id just get a projector and project on the wall, but then thought why not kick it up a notch with an LED wall?

Here is the wall im talking about:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

These are more crude renderings of what I posted a few pages back. upstairs is office, golf sim, racing sim and sitting area- Man Cave. Below is the garage. Where you see the mural of my Pista on the wall, either an LED wall or just a projector. Projector is a given as its easy to accomplish. But durability, reliability of the LED panels? Anyone know anything about this?

Thecadster likes this.
  17. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I don’t have experience with the LED panels but am working on a similar setup with my AV guy and he says no way a projector will work well during the day given all the windows and natural light I have. And, I think you have more glass than me.

I’m going to just go with an 85” LED TV as I don’t need to go as large as you are contemplating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

85 inch is too small for the wall for me. I know a projector is not going to be perfect by any means but it’s a nice gimmick and will cost nothing. LED wall is more of an investment- just don’t know life span/maintainable in these things….

19. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I'd be worried the LED wall will look very dated in a few years. Heck the video processor they show already looks very dated. The resolution is also pretty poor, not even HD quality if I'm reading that right. Although probably doesn't matter if you're pretty far away. Looks like it pulls 2400Watts, which not only will be expensive to run, but is going to throw alot of heat off.

20. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    How about the synched multi-screen set-up that I see in so many of the "sports bars" as I drive past. Saw a good one this evening with almost imperceptible edge lines. I've been tempted to drop into one and ask about them, if only out of curiosity.

21. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    @socal you can go with multiple TVs mounted adjacent to each other so they appear as one. You can have multiple channels or a single one displayed across all screens.

Ironically since you started your project we’ve purchased a unit at The Motor Enclave in Tampa which will have high bay industrial looking units that can be fit out to one’s desire. We’ve already had a first meeting with a designer and they brought this up.

We’re going with about 1,800 SF unit which includes mezzanine. The complex will have a track, clubhouse, pool, etc., so I’m gonna keep the STO and maybe one other car there (Sebring is a little over an hour from there).

Should be complete sometime 4Q next year.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    NEP Mediatec did the large LED wall panels for Arthur Ashe stadium for the US Open and they've been there since 2019...outdoors. They seem to work pretty well, but I have no idea if they'd needed repair/replacement since installation. You could ask them I suppose. https://www.sportsvideo.org/2019/09/06/live-from-the-us-open-nep-out-in-full-force-both-behind-the-scenes-and-on-the-court/

Apparently it has to deal with 100+ mph tennis balls hitting it and extreme heat in Australia where they have it.

SoCal to az and Thecadster like this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Certainly an option but I figured a simple projector might be easiest. Looks like LED might just be too hot and suck up too ouch power. But good idea about the 4 screens. Will look into it.

24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    That looks very cool. Similar to my concept. Do they have a website? Can already try to glean some inspiration ideas.