Mondi won't start | FerrariChat

Mondi won't start

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stevenwk, Nov 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well, I've had my Mondial for 27 years, and finally, for the first time (literally the first time) it won't start. The car is not driven much at all. Less than 12,000 original miles. I had a major back in 2005 and a new fuse box put in back then too.

Symptoms: over the past 2 years the car would have a hard time starting when hot. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now it's an issue. So, now today, with the battery fully charged, the car won't crank at all. Just nothing.

Is it a relay? Solenoid?

I know this has probably been covered before, but any comments/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Engine start problems with a Hot engine sometimes point to a bad fuel pump with special attention to the fuel accumulator.

Matthew 6:19 likes this.
  3. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks JK.

What about the engine completely cold? It was around 45 degrees today here in MI. Last summer, when the engine cooled down, the car started up, but I had to wait a significant amount of time b4 it would crank.

4. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    Just in case ….

Is the “kill switch” in the off position; is it faulty?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Battery cut off switch? Yes, it's off.

6. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Is the ignition turning on but no action when the key is turned?

Possibly check the voltage going to the solenoid from the ignition switch. If it isn't getting enough to engage the solenoid the starter won't run. That is a weak link on the cars, either from undersized wires or corrosion in the connections. Perhaps a cleaning would help, as long as you verify that some voltage is getting through--that is the problem isn't in the switch.

You can also add in a relay that uses the signal from the "start" position to then take power off the large leads to the starter motor. I know there are several threads on that, since I did it to my car some time ago.

Good luck!

7. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi Peter and thanks.

Exactly, the windows operate, radio, sunroof, etc when the key is turned............everything electrical works, but when I turn the key to try and start the car nothing happens. It's as if no electrical current is flowing to the starter motor.

So, it sounds like a relatively easy fix?

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you find the starter motor, it will have the solenoid mounted on it from what i recall of mine- connect a volt meter to the power wire connected to the solenoid, turn the key to start it and see if u get 12 volts. If you get 12 volts and no clicking sound of solenoid engaging, then possible solenoid failure. If you do not get 12 volts let us know and will tell you where to look.

9. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks Mike. You're a life saver. Cauley Ferrari is only 2 miles from my house, but I was not really looking forward to spending a ton of money on something if, hopefully, it is an easy fix.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Jack the car up on the rear left side and i think you should see the starter motor on the bottom of the engine.
    The solenoid should have a big thick wire which is the starting power, there should be a normal wire which is the 12 volts signal to energise the solenoid. The big thick wire should have 12 volts all the time and the thin one only when the key is turned. My mondial has been gone a few years so all from what i recall

11. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks Mike. I will do this when I get back in town early next week.

Just so I understand correctly, if there is 12 volts flowing to both the normal and thick wires and there is a clicking sound from the solenoid, then we consider the starter is bad or perhaps fuel pump?

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If u have 12 volts on both with key turned to start, no click on the solenoid is a failed solenoid. The solenoid is just a switch and the 12 volts from the key energizes it to send power to the starter. Prove the solenoid first.
    I hope you do not have to remove the starter as its not an easy job- if its a starter problem then you can get it repaired like mine was, saves buying a new one.

13. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    you'd have to get the engine turning over (cranking) before you'd need to worry about the fuel pump.

14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    my 85 cab has an occasional problem when I turn the key nothing happens. I re turn the key 2-3 times and then the car cranks the engine and fires right up. It mimics a dead battery and there is a booster kit some people have installed onto or related to the starter solenoid.

Aslo verify your battery is full/good. Sometimes they will have enough to run lights and elctronics but not enough juice to actually turn the engine over. Start with the simplest stuff first. Throw a charger on it over night and see if that makes any difference.

2cam likes this.
  15. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Got it.

16. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have gone back and forth 2,3, or 4 times trying to start and nothing. Dead. But again, all the electronic stuff works.....even enough power to open and close the sunroof.

My battery is old (again, the car gets less than 200 miles/year) but has been on a battery tender for years. The battery tender always signals that it is fully charged. So, yes maybe I'll change out the battery.

Agree, I'll try the simple stuff first. Thanks.

17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    The solenoid should have a white wire, this is the 12 volt signal from the key switch when you turn it to start position.

18. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Got it. Thanks.

19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like the big cable will come to the starter solenoid, then go out again to the alternator. So its a common line to the battery. I seem to remember the starter is hidden behind a tin or alloy half shield. Find a length of electrical wire with a crocodile clip on the end to clip onto the solenoid, run this to drivers seat and connect to a multimeter- ground the other connection and turn the key. This will show the signal volts without having to struggle under the car

20. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    2cam likes this.
  21. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Wow--that was the thread I was going to post. Been busy for the last day or so, so you beat me to it. Testing voltage at the wire tells you if it is getting something, but it won't tell you if it is adequate to move the solenoid to engage the starter switch. You could test it disconnected and it will show +12V, but connected it may drop to 0 with load. That tells you that it works but is too weak. The trick is that the relay doesn't require much power to trigger it, so splicing it in will work and get a stronger connection going to the solenoid.

22. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 -- you only get a valid result if you measure the voltage on the white wire going to terminal 50 of the starter solenoid (with the key in Pos III start) while it is plugged in to the starter solenoid.

If it goes +12V while plugged in, but the solenoid does not engage = probably bad solenoid.

If it stays 0V (or very low) while plugged in = bad upstream connection or bad ignition switch.

Matthew 6:19 likes this.
  23. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
  24. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will give this a try when I get home Monday and let you guys know what gives.

25. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I did have that problem years ago....a coil change solved this.