The official Daytona SP3 Thread! | Page 27 | FerrariChat

The official Daytona SP3 Thread!

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by Jonathan19, Nov 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. babgh

babgh Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    But the 250 GTO, F40 and 458 Italia still looks good even though they are dated. And for other brands the 2008 DBS V12 still looks good in my eyes compared to a portofino imho

elmadi likes this.
  2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    your complaint should be with the rules makers who continue to squeeze all car manufacturers with ever more strict requirements. The clienti cars don't lack for power or downforce.

TheF1BOB, jpalmito and JTSE30 like this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Ferrari will never sell that chassis at your price point. The LaF-A is not put together like a production Mac.

elmadi likes this.
  4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  5. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ok i'll be that guy . Daytona price is around x25 the Z06. Obscene .Sorry.

6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    It does have FOUR MORE cylinders.

7. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    And if you can afford it… worth it

350MH83, TheF1BOB, dpw98 and 5 others like this.
  8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  9. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    elmadi and tomc like this.
  10. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Sorry to my eyes a lazy attempt.

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

In all fairness though, the Iconas are not about pushing the envelope, they are nostalgic design studies. Normal range cars and halo hypercars push the envelope.

12. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Ok so a year or so from now when Daytona’s come onto the secondary market, and you have ~$2.5M to spend, do you get a Daytona or an F50?

mikesufka and crinoid like this.
  13. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Oh that’s painful.

mikesufka likes this.
  14. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I would be happy with either but I’m digging the Daytona.

Maybe that’s just me. :)

350MH83 and crinoid like this.
  15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I really want to see it in person. One thing that just screams at me about the design is that it seems pretty obvious that the light bar was supposed to be continuous at the front. That’s why the channel that the light bar is in is continuous across the front. I imagine the marketing department saw it and was like “it’s distracting from the Ferrari emblem and prancing horse badge. Take it off!” LOL

Garretto likes this.
  16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The F50 never appealed to me personally. Always thought it looked a bit weird.:rolleyes:

512tr1992, Caeruleus11 and crinoid like this.
  17. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    IDK, that front groove element has been used several times now and I don’t think it was ever a full light bar. I’m thinking of the J50. Regardless, I dig it.

18. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    For sure the F50 is the unloved super Ferrari. But as far as spec’s go, it’s pretty hot.

But ya know, the Daytona looks pretty weird too. :)

ingegnere and jm2 like this.
  19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Not half as strange as the F50 to my eyes. But hey, if you like it, have at it!:cool:
    No question about performance. appearance is another matter for me.

20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you all for the lively discussion. I am fascinated with everyone's reactions.

I have a hard time evaluating a car based on pictures and videos. For me, its a near impossible task to use a two dimensional light emitting screen to evaluate a three dimensional light reflecting object. Of course, at the moment, and for most of us, that's what we've got.

My initial reaction is positive. To my eyes its instantly recognizable as a Ferrari, and I think it looks great. Sure its different- that's what Ferrari does. They don't usually do iterative. Yet, the Daytona SP3 is clearly is inspired by the prototype cars of the 60s into the 70s while not being retro at all- its quite modern in its approach. The more I've looked at it, the more I think it evokes this era of racing with aplomb.

What makes racing interesting is pushing the limits of what's possible; and when I look at the Daytona SP3, not only do I see this exciting shape, but I also see the most powerful V12 NA they've ever made that revs to 9,500 RPM (and I think is designed to go significant mileage without a rebuild) wrapped in the most aerodynamic efficient package they've ever made- I don't think this is the work of a company that's resting on its laurels.

Things I'm not sure about are some of the front detailing or the large area of carbon on the sides- but I have a feeling these will make a lot more sense when experienced in person.

We love Ferrari so much because not only do they have performance, style and passion, Ferrari always manages to put these together in a way that creates for a truly enthralling experience. I think the Daytona does this and thus, I think it is a wonderful tribute to this era of racing.

I am thankful they are still building proper dream machines.

Bravo!

Forza Ferrari!

and Happy Thanksgiving - that we have the time and ability to debate the merits of such a car is in itself something for which to be thankful.

vonbeeler, tomc, Picchu88 and 7 others like this.
  21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    There is absolutely NO substitute for seeing a car in person, in the metal, from all views.
    No photos or imagery will ever be able to communicate the forms and surface development. Seeing and touching are how humans are wired. Photos are great, but no substitute.
    That's one lesson I've learned as a car designer for the past 50 yrs.;)

C50, TSOYBELIS, 611LW and 4 others like this.
  22. Data

Data Karting

Dec 11, 2007
    And 2,000 times more expensive than a used Fiat Multipla. Or 25,000 times more expensive than a skateboard. Crazy world huh.

350MH83, Picchu88, roma1280 and 4 others like this.
  23. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I like the F50. If I had to choose between that and the Daytona, I’d take the Daytona. Come to think of it, I’d take the Daytona over any super Ferrari.

Juvendude, fil and jm2 like this.