01336 USA Prototype | Page 4 | FerrariChat

01336 USA Prototype

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Jul 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Thank you for the tip, but i just wonder why is it almost impossible to find a shop that has a " hot seem weld" the way the factory used to do it. Plus sometimes finding the material itself is hard and not easy to match.

2. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I think Henk and others have the materials. The heat stitching is the tough part. The trouble is getting someone to do one or two at a time. If you were doing a bunch at one time someone might be interested.

3. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Thank you, i will look into Henk. And yes, none of the upholstery shops in my area wanted to or could do the heat stitching probably because of cost or time involved.

4. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    If the material is vinyl, I believe the welding method is ultrasonic and uses dies for the process which is going to be expensive for small numbers of parts if the tooling has to be fabricated. Is leather wrapping an alternative solution?

V12addict likes this.
  5. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Thank you for the info, and yes that could be an option. I have also looked at Alcantara which looks great but not original in older cars. Newer Ferraris are using then extensively for headliner, sun visors and seats.

6. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Thanks Jon. Sorry for the delayed reply. Glad to see that you are still at it.

Assuming that I wish to keep the same material, it's tricky cutting the edge with a razor blade and re-sewing. Once open (with the razor cut) it's easy to remove and replace the foam. The sewing such that it doesn't buckle and look tacky, that's the challenge. What alternative material? And how to cut to proper shape?

Jim

7. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
  8. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  9. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  10. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    John, where are you having your cad plating done in Texas?

11. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I had some done at Texas Precision Plating near Dallas and I took 35 pounds of parts to my plater in LA b&c plating. I was flying to San Diego to visit the grandkids so I decided to fill my suitcase and while in LA making a stop at Philippis French dip sandwich shop!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Face76 likes this.
  12. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I was going to send a large batch to Burbank Plating. Do you still recommend them?

13. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I like B&C plating in LA, highly recommended! I've used them for 15 years!

14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hello Jim, good to know you are still active! It has been a long time...

Kind regards, Alberto

TonyL likes this.
  15. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Yes, i was getting concerned too.

16. dhalter

dhalter Karting

Aug 2, 2009
    New York
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Amazing work as always! I am at disassembly stage of full suspension rebuild on 308GT4 15406. What coatings are you applying to the a-arms and the rear aluminum uprights / bearing carriers? Thanks!!!

17. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I powdercoat the A-arms and use cerakote on the hubs.

18. russh

russh Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Russell Hazarian
    Hi John, Your work is just fantastic. I looked at the B&C Plating cadmium information and it indicates class(thickness) and type. I was wondering what cadmium thickness and type you recommend.

19. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Class 1 is clear cad and type 2 is yellow cad. Thickness is .002 to.004

20. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    It's been 4 months since I received the Dino at the shop. Yesterday I loaded it on the trailer for a 45 minute drive to Color House of Texas for paint and body. I knew TJ the owner of Color House of Texas when I had my shop in Escondido, California. TJ worked up the street at Best of Show and recently relocated to Texas and opened his own paint shop. His work is top quality and the Dino will be painted with Glasurit in its original Rosso Dino color. I expect to get it back in about 3 months when I'll be ready for reassembly. Most of the parts and interior are done. I'm setting up an area for my upholstery guy who will come out when I'm ready to sew and install the carpeting, headliner etc. The carpet, headliner and dask material came from Henk at HVL in the Netherlands. The motor is dissembled and in progress.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 3241720 View attachment 3241721 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, -K1-, JCR and 2 others like this.
  21. Mwbowman

Mwbowman Rookie

Jul 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    Michael bowman
    I got to go down to Austin to visit my car last week. Jon is a most gracious host and his new shop is really top notch, complete with F1 simulator! The parts that are restored look brand new and the bodywork is amazing. The Dino body is so beautiful!!! That's what hooked me in the 1st place.
    Can't wait to see it after paint!

Mike

22. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    John,
    Beautiful work. Out of curiosity, what is the approximate cost to do a restoration of this caliber? If you don’t want to put it out there publicly, just send a DM.

thanks,
    Skipp

23. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I believe Henk now does heat stitching.