Maserati Alfieri ... 7 years later the lust has still not abated. | FerrariChat

Maserati Alfieri ... 7 years later the lust has still not abated.

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by staatsof, Nov 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

I know a lot of things just weren't in the cards for Maserati at that time, primarily leadership but finances as well.
    Now it's electric electric! If built in both configurations you know which version would sell, even now.

Gawd they certainly got this right. Had they made this car I bet they'd still be trading at many times the MSRP. An enormous departure from anything they've built since.

Oishi, 71Satisfaction and MK1044 like this.
  2. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    I was thee when this video was made. Yes, I would have been a seller. Another wrong decision from Maserati not to make it into reality. They missed the beat....again!

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    At Chantilly the year they had it it ran out of fuel at the end of the concours day and the suited salemen from Maserati France were trying to force the nozzle of a 5 liter can into the fuel filler hole:rolleyes:

71Satisfaction and MK1044 like this.
  4. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    It seems to have morphed into the Ferrari Roma instead? A shame.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I talked to my F/M dealer as soon as the pics were released and wanted to see when it would be available.

They had no idea what it was. That gave me a clue it was never going to happen. You don't release a new car and not tell your dealer network anything.

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm sure it had a lot to do with Maserati always having to play second fiddle once they were under Fiat's control. It wasn't Ferrari's design language per say but what did they have that was that gorgeous AND it would have been a lot less money. Of course they already had the Granturismo.

The beautiful woman you saw at an event, never approached and then never met again ... a sexist would say! ;) Little GG their.

71Satisfaction and wbaeumer like this.
  7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Not sure about the situation in the USA but in Germany -for example- every dealer knew about the Alfieri....and hoped!

71Satisfaction and MK1044 like this.
  8. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    it really came down to funding and profitability. When the Alfieri debuted Maserati was doing well running at 13+% margins with a projection of even more profits with an SUV coming to market. Things were looking good for having 2 separate coupe/convertibles in the lineup. (Remember the Alfieri was targeted at the Jaguar FType, base 911, GranTurismo was to continue in its market segment).

The problem was the delay in not only the Levante, but also Alfa Giulia/Stelvio which pretty much cost Wester his job. The insertion of Bigland, then Kuniskis shifted the powerbase from Modena to Auburn Hills. Chrysler personnel replaced most of the long time Maserati staff.

with that sales collapsed as did profits down to under 3%, which ended the possibility of producing 2 coupe/convertibles. A decision had to be made, the GranTurismo would be more profitable and appeal to a wider audience than the Alfieri. Production would shift to Torino. That leaves the Modena factory without production with the Alfa 4C ending. A successor would be more profitable as a Maserati than an Alfa.

71Satisfaction and 3500 GT like this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ohh man when they first announced the concept design I fell in love with it, more than any recent Ferraris. so disappointed I sold my Maserati and gave up on the company. just kidding. :D

wbaeumer likes this.
  10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Perhaps the bigger mistake was commissioning such a fantastic looking concept car when the powers that be knew that they really couldn't manufacture such a car at that time?
    They teased the hell out of a lot of people. There's a derogatory term for young women who do that ... ;)

71Satisfaction and rob lay like this.
  11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Trident tease;-)?!