Any high-end Italian Espresso Machine Users? | FerrariChat

Any high-end Italian Espresso Machine Users?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Rexcat458, Oct 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

I’m upgrading my home espresso machine and grinder and I’m looking at buying a Victoria Arduino Prima One Espresso Machine and a Ceado E37SD Single Dose Grinder, about $8,500 to $9,500 depending on the steam wand option on the Prima One combined total cost.

Just curious if anyone is using these, or any other high-end Italian manufactured espresso machines or grinders. If so, any comments on usage or complaints on pulling your shots or dialling in your espresso grinds with these units? Thanks in advance and…

Cheers!

jm2 likes this.
  2. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    jm2 likes this.
  3. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Update: After much thought, I’ve decided to go with the Della Corte Mina Espresso machine ($8,500) and the Monolith Flat Single Dose Grinder ($2,650) or $11,150 total.

I’m switching from the AV Prima 1 to the Della Corte Mina because I want to explore digital pressure profiling of the shots. The grinder switch was due to possible “workflow” niggles with the Ceado grinder that I envisioned.

Here are photos of my new setup:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

If you have either of these units, it would be great to get your comments on usage and workflow.

Cheers!

VAF84 and BT like this.
  4. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #4 Rexcat458, Nov 11, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    Well, supply chain issues nixed the Monolith espresso bean grinder I wanted (too long a wait to get), so I found the German manufactured Mahlkonig E65GBH which has a built in load cell to grind by weight.

It cost $2,950 and it allows movement of the 65mm burrs in one tenth of a mm! So, after all of the faff back and forth, everything is on a truck and I should have it in hand in a few days.

It’s going to be awesome pulling shots on the Dalla Corte Mina with the Mahlkonig grinder… Of course, I will be pulling the shots into official Ferrari espresso cups, in the same colour as my 458, Rosso Corsa.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

SaifC, jm2 and tomc like this.
  5. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My Dalla Corte Mina arrived and most of the accessories and accoutrements. Unfortunately, the Mahlkonig E65S GBH grinder is back ordered for 1 - 2 months. Ugh…

Anyone else into espresso?

Cheers!

jm2 likes this.
  6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Fire that baby up; even with improperly ground beans!

Congrats. Beautiful machine.

Love espresso. Two doppio every AM for the missus and I. We use a baby DeLonghi. Not fancy but does a respectable job and has been crazy reliable.

T

jm2 likes this.
  7. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Wow!

You have a legit setup.

I can definitely help you with any advice on coffee related items.

I also have plenty of MAHLKONIG e65 GBW in stock.

I personally use a Slayer Espresso 1 group at my house for the pressure profiling qualities.

My company is Coffee Machine Depot USA.

Regards

Aaron

May the Horse be with you

jm2 likes this.
  8. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    What is your verdict on the slayer? I am considering one to replace my Alex duetto.
    I went down the rabbit hole to learn about it but beyond the looks I can’t tell if the brew makes it worth the spend.

Enjoy the new set-up, Rex. Looks good.

9. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Very good question. I sell them both and they are both make espresso, just in a different manner.

The Slayer has mechanical pressure profiling with a needle valve. I always extract at 18 sec pre-infusion, 22 sec extraction and 4 sec post infusion. This is all very technical stuff and too be honest 9.9 out of 10 people won't know the difference.....I agree they look super cool too.

I suppose it is a bit like a Range Rover fully loaded Vs a Rolls Royce Cullinan...... Do you need the RR? Probably not, I say.... But they sell the crap out of them.

C50 likes this.
  10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Anxious to hear your initial comments/results.

11. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I hear ya on firing it up straightaway!

Unfortunately, I will have to wait a wee bit as our kitchen is in the middle of a major full-gut remodel now and the countertops are not finished as yet. I actually thought about setting it up in the car park temporarily, but I nixed that idea.

My wife does not enjoy any form of coffee, so all of the new equipment is for my needs only. I’m an old pour over bloke (Technivorm Moccamaster) from way back. I got into espresso when I had my art studio and I was travelling all over the U.S. every week doing demos.

My favourite cup was a quad-shot of espresso, whilst sitting in the President’s Club awaiting boarding. It was grand and it made doing the 60 - 80k air miles every year more bearable. At times, it seemed like I spent more time at 37,000 feet than I did on the ground.

I’m eager to pull my first shot and to fall down the rabbit hole of flow profiling. I’m also getting geared up for roasting my own beans, as it is the next logical step vis-à-vis my coffee “hobby.”

Take care and best wishes to you and yours this holiday season!

P.S. Down a double shot of your favourite espresso for me until I can get my Mina up and running…

Cheers!

tomc and jm2 like this.
  12. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks!

I looked long and hard before deciding on the DCM… I think it will serve me well and the flow profiling feature will keep me interested in the “process” and playing with a virtually unlimited number of extractive recipes. I’ll keep you in mind going forward, as I’m still buying equipment to get everything sorted.

Thanks again and best wishes to you and yours this holiday season!

Cheers!

tomc likes this.
  13. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the kind words! I’m thrilled to be getting into espresso. Its going to be a stack of fun!

Best wishes to you on your next espresso machine upgrade… The Slayer looks awesome! Pull a shot or two for me, as I eagerly await the end of our kitchen remodel…

Cheers and Happy Holidays to you and yours!

C50 likes this.
  14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Our marriage and my sanity survived a full house remodel about 5 years ago! Hoping you are soon in your house and no longer being pestered to compare near identical color swatches.

If you like coffee, and are a pour over aficionado from back in the day, maybe look into making Turkish coffee. It's a wonderfully analog experience with tons of variations you can experiment with.

T

Rexcat458 likes this.
  15. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

I will be happy to report back after I get everything setup and running. Take care and best wishes to you and yours!

Cheers!!

jm2 likes this.
  16. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ugh… The Mahlkonig E65S GBW grinder is still on back order with no specific shipping date. Latest word is mid-January now, maybe, possibly, perhaps, might be…

Cheers!

“I see a line of Supercars and they’re all painted red… Visions of Maranello’s Prancing Horses dance in my head”

17. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I have them in stock!

What color do you want?

May the Horse be with you

18. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the offer, latest news is they are on the way to the US… Christmas is coming early it seems! Woo hoo!!!

Cheers!

“I see a line of Supercars and they’re all painted red… Visions of Prancing Horses dance in my head. I hear the screaming thunder of the four-point-five… A 9,000 redline makes you feel alive.”

19. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well, it’s Christmas Eve and no grinder has shown up. Who knows when it will arrive now. There is zero communication unless I call and run it down. Then, the information is not accurate.

Ugh!

“I see a line of Supercars and they’re all painted red… Visions of Prancing Horses dance in my head. I hear the screaming thunder of the four-point-five… A 9,000 redline makes you feel alive.”

20. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well, the Mahlkonig grinder has not shown up as of today, so I had to cancel the order and I’m looking for another espresso grinder!

Cheers!

21. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    After lots of looking , I decided to go with a 83mm flat burr Mazzer ZM grinder ($4,500 with the additional TitN but set for espresso). It is in stock in the U.S. and can ship in a few days.

With all of the supply chain issues, it was not easy finding a grinder that was ready to ship. This baby is a heavyweight, weighing in at 77 pounds!

jm2 and tomc like this.
  22. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well, the Mazzer ZM was finally delivered… Viva Italia!!! I can’t wait to get everything setup and start pulling shots.

Since the Dalla Corte Mina is also from Italy, my espresso bar will be a celebration of all things Italia.

jm2 and tomc like this.
  23. rvin

rvin Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2018
    USA
    Full Name:
    Irvin
    It looks good, now you can enjoy your coffee the best way you want it.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  24. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Get a scale and a WDT tool.

25. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for your reply… I have a Hiroia scale (the one with a detachable magnetic screen) that is awesome.

I do not have a WDT tool as yet. Do you have any recommendations?

Seems like the 0.3 mm acupuncture needle equipped ones have a following.

Cheers!