FORMULA 1 OOREDOO QATAR GRAND PRIX 2021 - Lusail - RACE... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀ | Page 11 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 OOREDOO QATAR GRAND PRIX 2021 - Lusail - RACE... ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS▄▀▄▀▄▀

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Nov 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    I understand that. My point being that mods can be made to the mapping versus the ICU to increase performance. We see different maps used in practice sessions. This is true regardless of ICU manufacturer. If Honda/Ferrari/Mercedes ICU's can tolerate a more aggressive map for the last two races without imploding, why not do it? Mercedes has at least one fresher engine that can likely take a more aggressive map (higher rpm, leaner/richer, etc) than their normal level. Surely McLaren use different maps to that of Mercedes while using the same spec ICU? In fact I would fully expect all teams to run their maps to the max (no pun intended) that the ICU can tolerate for the last race. No point in leaving anything on the table. Unless I'm totally wrong and the map they used in race 1 is the one they are stuck with for the season?

Bas likes this.
  2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    They gave him a new engine that only has to last half as long as its counterparts. 4 races (now two races) left. Of course they turned it up, and if they have to download and show people they're using the map from day 1, well sure, that's the download they get. Are they confiscating ECUs? There's so many places to cheat in the software...

sjd

Bas likes this.
  3. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    He could, but HE would not stoop so low as to do it. Other drivers, on the other hand............. ;)

armedferret and ferrariforevervp like this.
  4. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Good point, but you seem to come from the premise that MV intentionally crashed LH44 in
    Monza....... IMHO :)

ferrariforevervp likes this.
  5. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    For a long time now... Officially [but allegedly ] since December 2013..... :(

375+ likes this.
  6. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    375+ and Bas like this.
  7. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Mick fended off Verstappen for ten laps in the same race, even though the RB was much faster. You think Mick gave Verstappen a driving lesson?

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think the mapping goes in Parc Ferme the moment you leave the pit lane in quali. However, there are so many sub maps and things that drivers can adjust I sincerely doubt it makes any difference at all to the ''no party mode'' rule.

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    It's amazing how close he's come to being a 5x WDC despite driving cars that definitely shouldn't contend for a title in those years.

I wasn't a fan of him when he was at Ferrari, something I greatly regret. Though IMO his 2nd stint at Mclaren really, really matured him. I consider myself a big fan of him now.

F2003-GA, Isobel, sammysaber and 2 others like this.
  10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Prost should speak out more often.

I would rather hear from essentially anyone than Horner or Wolf...........including know-nothings..........

trumpet77 and ScreaminRevs like this.
  11. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    maybe. But Lewis had no problems passing anyone else, and Fred enabled Ocon to grab the victory….

12. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Lol you mean when the RB was missing half its floor?

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep.

Remember Hamiltons' practically invisible damage in Austria this year? Merc claimed 6-7 tenths a lap (on shortest track of the year).

Lets see what was left of Max's car, and one can put an estimate how much it was affected time wise (note, entire bargeboard missing for example):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  14. ferrariforevervp

Sep 22, 2006
    I wasn't a fan of Alonso in 2005 when he won the championship because I was and still am a Ferrari fan. But years after that, reading objective analysis like the one on F1metrics I really believe that he was the best driver after the Schumacher era. He still is great, but his age starts to play a role, the same for every driver at his age.

In my opinion Schumacher, Alonso and Hamilton are the greatest drivers in the last 25 years, and my guess is that Verstappen will be added to that list in the near future.

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/

Giallo 550 and Jakuzzi like this.
  15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Still not a fan....if he goes up to a podium again, i hope he slips in a banana on the way down!

ingegnere and Jakuzzi like this.
  16. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Come on now. There was plenty of duct tape placed over the damage. It probably made the airflow a lot better to be missing a significant part of the floor :p

DF1 likes this.
  17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Heheheh, don't joke because i know a couple of Elton fans that will believe it!

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Lol, good thing its you writing it as I know its a joke! :p:p

19. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    yes, I’d hope nobody would consider duct tape as anything close to an aero device. Most would have retired the car with that much damage. To get any points was one helluva drive.

armedferret likes this.
  20. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    You and many of your lot continually refer to LH as "Elton." Should we start referring to Verstappen as "Hillbilly Max?"

21. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    We could simply call Max :: Min

Min did this, Min crashed out that, Min was a joke today, Min got caught up in crap, Min is so stupid, Min <blah blah blah>

22. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hamilton wears effeminate clothing, is British, and the final two syllables of his last name sound similar to "Elton," so even though I don't personally refer to him as that, at least that nickname makes some sense...

What is it about Verstappen that causes you to refer to him as a hillbilly, other than your dissatisfaction with some calling Hamilton, "Elton?" Isn't there at least something more clever or fitting that you can come up with if you really wanted to go there?

375+ and Nortonious like this.
  23. I gotta' differ.....he did, so, apparently they could. There's no such thing as a magician, so, the cars were capable.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Please be my gest....you and your lot can call him as you please, i don't think he will be much upset....as for elton that's his name, or would you rather prefer " sir elton"?

Jakuzzi likes this.
  25. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    No...would be the correct answer