The official Daytona SP3 Thread! | Page 29 | FerrariChat

The official Daytona SP3 Thread!

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by Jonathan19, Nov 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lcawley

Lcawley Karting

Nov 16, 2011
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Lance C. Cawley
    Do you still believe there will be 700 as another person this thread says 599?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I really wonder what it takes to see the body differences between a P3, a P4 and the P5..........
    There is absolutely zero doubt that the new Daytona SP3 rear design is only copied from the P5 and certainly NOT from a P3 or P4.
    Forget all the marketing nonsense. Open your eyes and compare pix (plenty here in this thread, all you have to do is scrolling).

Marcel Massini

3. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The number 700 came from a factory manager in Maranello.
    We shall see what the real number is in about 2025.

Marcel Massini

456-boy and roma1280 like this.
  4. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Has Ferrari ever introduced a car where everyone has said 'wow it is perfect. I can't think of any way to improve it'?

Caeruleus11 and crinoid like this.
  5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Good point. Usually after a few months the numbers kinda settle as far as the majority opinion. The 458 was pretty universally loved. It took a little bit for opinion to stabilize.

6. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I was told by the marketing manager that they would do 599 which is 100 more than the Monza. They said 100 extra for new special clients. They said about 100 more so 700 or somewhere under just that is very feasible.

7. jim94-348

jim94-348 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2010
    Greenville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    They also said that the rear-end was taken from something else but I don't recall what. They showed a picture of it and the rear-end was almost identical.

8. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    We were even told to expect a front light band just a few days before unveiling. And it would have been sooo P5! Yes I fully agree it must have been a last minute decision.

crinoid likes this.
  9. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    There was of course no chance to beat McLaren F1. But then again, had they shaved as litle as 50 kg from the car, it would have already compared more favourably to F40. This weight saving could have been easily accomplished by making it a closed roof car. But then again, they made a correct decision. No-one is complaining about its performance anymore while the open top is still an integral part of the car.

In think we might see something similar happening with the Daytona, but the task is now more difficult as interesting new products are being launched more often.

The car itself is interesting and now that I look LaFerrari, I'm starting to feel that perhaps it has started to show its age.

ingegnere likes this.
  10. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Actually I can see the strakes straight from P5 but, really, I can't see any other clue from it or from P3/P4, at all... Anyone would point those to me?

ingegnere likes this.
  11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Well, why not?
    Anyway, that was not my point. They said that in retrospect the engine should have been larger (more powerful) and that being a stressed member introduced unwanted vibrations that caused mechanical issues. They fixed all that in the Enzo.

12. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    At that time Ferrari organization had no means to compete against Gordon Murray who has obsession for low weight. And still don't. Then again, Ferrari wants also other qualities from the car than just low weight.

Had Ferrari added more powerful and heavier engine to F50, they would have also needed to strengthen the chassis and component even more, adding weight. Surely they could have improved the straightline performance with a more powerful engine, but it is unlikely they would have had any change beating F1 in acceleration.

But then again, as far as I recall F50 was quite good on the track when compared to F1. It was just the straight line performance where it could not compete.

13. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Don't obsess over weight alone, it's the power/weight that matters.
    BTW, this was Ferrari's assessment, not mine.

inox likes this.
  14. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    From 250 P5:
    - Rear end shape with strakes
    - Tip of the nose (the non-existent lightbar area)
    - Some aspects of side profile, including shape of wheel arches and the plate in front of front wheel which is reminicent of P5's rocket like nose extensions

From 330 P3/P4:
    Overal shape of the car, especially the massive wheel covers. If you just cut out the sidepods you would see this more clearly.
    Here is my more detailed analysis about similarities with P4:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148221126/

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    BTW, is there a small rear view window in Daytona SP3? In some pics it looks like the rear view is completely blocked by carbon chassis but then in some pics there seems to be a dark glass.

At least the car has central rearview mirror in the interior. But is that mirror real or just a screen for rearview camera?

16. elmadi

elmadi Formula 3

Apr 25, 2009
    For me.... the F40

Senad likes this.
  17. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    I read your analysis but, frankly, I found most features a bit of a stretch, some even generic supercar design. Not sure you'd be thinking P4 had Ferrari never mentioned it. But it's fine, just different opinions so I suggest we agree to disagree.

18. elmadi

elmadi Formula 3

Apr 25, 2009
    Here it is below : design review by car designer Frank Stephenson :

Caeruleus11, werewolf and ShineKen like this.
  19. Lcawley

Lcawley Karting

Nov 16, 2011
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Lance C. Cawley
    Thanks, I was at the finals and had two P2 races and P2 in the championship in my class North America. I really like the Daytona, while I have a LaF and a handful of other Ferraris. It will be interesting to see how many they make of the Daytona.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds, Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    All that criticism and he rates it a 9? Seems like he doesn’t want to lose his chance of designing another Ferrari :).

elmadi likes this.
  21. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I think the P3/P4 reference is a red herring and misguided, not to say disingenuous.

It’s pretty obvious that the influence of the P5 dictated not only the rear but the rounded square rear wheel openings required to make this work and by association, also the squared off front wheel openings. Also, as pointed out by @crinoid, the trapezoidal panel on the nose—which doesn’t seem to serve any apparent purpose—is a perfect doppelgänger for the P5’s light bar, only sans the light.

The other defining elements of the Daytona are more related to the 512 S than the P3/P4–I’m referring to the squarish fender humps front and rear, the top-facing radiator inlets in the doors and the bulging rear fenders. The only elements I see recalling the P3/P4 are the creases in the fender peaks and the windshield.

The fact the the promo material at least mentions the 512 S (even if in passing) is good but it begs the question of why the most obvious inspiration for the car, Pininfarina’s P5 concept—not a Ferrari production car nor race car—is not even mentioned. Could it be they couldn’t come to an agreement with Pininfarina to use the likeness of the P5 in promoting the Daytona. Or maybe they didn’t even bother asking and went with the P3/P4 narrative.

22. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Even the marketing of this car is highly questionable ... if not yet another fail. What was Ferrari thinking? Their loyal base will buy the limited number manufactured, no matter what it looks like, no matter how it's marketed, no matter how it performs?

Senad and Marcel Massini like this.
  23. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Further evidence of the influence of the P5 on the Daytona is how the negative volume of the P5 scoop is inverted to a positive volume on the Daytona to create the slab-sided trapezoidal relief of similar shape:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ohno, Luque, mthompson2376 and 6 others like this.
  24. faykau

faykau Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    Which is one of the ugliest features on this car imo. Really bad looking and awkward from a certain angles. I don't think I can say that to any other Ferrari that has been made in the last few years, including the SF90 and 296 (both of which I dislike look-wise)

Astrid.Didier and Garretto like this.
  25. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    On the white (Bianco Italia Opaco) car the so-called air box door sticks out so much more (looks much more pronounced) than on the red (Rosso Magma) one.
    Again, seeing the car inside or outside, sunlight, daylight, little light, clouds/overcast and the color, of course, make a huge difference. And each person has its own eyes.

Marcel Massini

Senad, of2worlds, Caeruleus11 and 5 others like this.