Your inspiring success story | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Your inspiring success story

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rhtky, Nov 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rhtky

rhtky Rookie

Nov 16, 2021
    Yeah I will do what I said. That‘s one of my principles! I think it is very important to respond to everyone who shares their story with me or with us. I really appreciate that!

Island Time likes this.
  2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My favorite explanation to people is, "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"! :D

Seriously, DiamondDog (post 5) and Glassman (post 12) offer great advice. My post, if I was serious, would be similar to Glassman's.

Mini crab, Texas Forever and rhtky like this.
  3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I grew up dirt poor, bounced between trailer parks and being homeless.

Started working at 17 and never looked back. I never went out and partied, never vacationed, never spent money on anything but the barest needs like Target clothing and basic food. By early 30s I got a 355.

VAF84, Mini crab, DrewH and 3 others like this.
  4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Great story. I follow your posts closely and never knew about the adopted girls from Russia. God has a special spot in Heaven for you.

ZF123, JJ and Texas Forever like this.
  5. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    To make serious money you have to be your own boss. Find something you enjoy doing, work in that field for a long time, learn everything you can and then open your own business. Work hard but hire people who are smarter than you to fill your big management positions. Always be willing to learn and get wisdom from others. And remember your customers pay for all your bills, so treat them like Gold. Take good care of your employees too.

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I thought you might have known about them. Katerina (adopted at 15 mo old) is currently a senior at Texas A&M, and Svetlana (adopted at 2 yrs old) is a Sophomore in HS. We had alot of adventures during our 6 trips to Russia and met alot of nice people.

VAF84, vrsurgeon, NYC Fred and 3 others like this.
  7. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I invented the letter "e"

Every time someone types it anywhere in the world, in any language, I make one cent.

Do the math.

Jedi

020147 likes this.
  8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddyg likes this.
  9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    ;)

10. rhtky

rhtky Rookie

Nov 16, 2021
    I agree! Thank you for these tips!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

buddyg likes this.
  11. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    #36 ebobh15, Nov 26, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    As has been said, luck is usually a matter of preparation meeting opportunity, but also recognizing that opportunities involve risk and change, something unsuccessful people tend not to do. Everyone has a similar, but unique path, Mine has brought to mind some thoughts I share with people your age:
    1. Do not get married at least until you are 30 years old. You'll change and mature so much in your 20s that the person you were won't exist. For women, the age minimum should be 25 years old, mostly because women mature more quickly (if at all).
    2. Say yes to almost any opportunity that gives you experience, contacts and expertise at something, even if it doesn't pay well. Actual human contacts and building relationships are the key to success - you can't call a stranger when you're in crisis, but you can call and friend or trusted colleague & they'll be there.
    2a. When you get a real job, for the first year, blow all of the money you don't need to live on (rent, food, expenses). That way, you'll do all the stupid stuff at once and get it out of your system.
    3. After the first year, save everything you don't need, half in liquid savings for rainy days, half in an IRA (Roth IRA at your age). Put half of every raise in that account until you max it, and stay maxed until you retire. It is the surest way to become a millionaire at least twice over.
    4. Don't be jealous of others who have made it; their timelines or options may have opened up before you. Spending time wishing you had their car or condo or girlfriend wastes energy - if it motivates you to work harder, though, it's not all bad.
    5. Things happen in their own time, not ours. I believe the phrase "man plans, god laughs" is true in most circumstances.
    6. Realize that most of us are you, but 20-30-40 years from now. Don't think you'll never make it, don't abandon your dreams because others say they're stupid or unrealistic. The road is tough, hard to walk, and slipping back now and then is normal. Don't give up - ever.
    7. Make outrageous goals and work like hell to make them come true. Anyone can make reasonable goals, and fall short because they aren't that exciting. I had a goal for monthly income in retirement I wrote down when I was 30. I adjusted it upward at 40, and adjusted it upward at 50, each time by considerable amounts. I'be blown through that monthly goal 2x over now, and will make more each month on investments that I used to make each year as a working stiff.
    8. Any useful idea about the future should appear ridiculous - only unreasonable people create change, so be bold and do something memorable.
    9. Speaking of which, there's an old poster with a douchy guy standing in front of a mansion with fancy cars and boats; the caption is well known - he who dies with the most toys wins. I don't agree. I believe that she or he who dies with the most memories wins. Create memorable experiences & they stay with you forever. I've drift snorkeled in Polynesia, done a cat shot off a carrier, driven a motorcycle at more than 140mph, and driven my Ferrari with the top down along PCH in California smiling like a possum eating a sweet potato. All of those things and more will bring a smile anytime they come to mind.
    10. Don't take a job for the money, don't keep one for the money and become a hostage to your paycheck. I've worked for myself, worked for others, and done long-term contract work. Find situations that engage you and challenge you and let things fall into place. I have always found that the less I worry about money, the more I make.
    11. If you make it, even before you've really hit it big, be sure to share your good fortune with others. Give to charity, support worthy causes that make a difference in people's lives. You don't do good things for others, you do them because it makes you a better person. Create the habit of generosity, whether it is money or time or both. The true character of a man or woman is in how they treat people who can do nothing to them, or for them.
    12. Smile, make eye contact, and be interested in others. People have amazing stories, but you have to let them tell you. Those who are not interested are uninteresting IMHO. Be curious, be OK with ambiguity or incompleteness. Things sometimes don't make sense (at the time) but they often will later on.
    13. This is a one-way trip, and I only lament that I don't have enough time to do all of the things I want. I'm shockingly old, but have no plans to fully retire. I have a number of academic degrees, but the ones I have just because I wanted to challenge myself to learn something new have been the most fulfilling.
    14. Lastly, as Margaret Mead once said "never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has". Be like that, change the world in some small or big way every day. Reflect on your successes and setbacks, and don't be too tough on yourself. You're as imperfect as the rest of us, which makes it kind of fun.

Loxo, EarlyCat, JLopez and 25 others like this.
  12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wow, great post, thank you for sharing all that advice. From a lifetime of experience I agree with all of it, including item #1.

I got married at 28 and my bride was only 24. This May we celebrated 46 years of marriage, and between you and me, I don't think it's going to last! :D

13. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Today, 30 is the new 20, so I factored in the way younger folks are so much more informed, but so much less mature in many ways (not a knock, just social media and phantom "friends" displacing human relationships). At your/our age, 28 was mature, with jobs, responsibilities and adult decisions taken for granted, so you get a pass lol. Congrats on the achievement. I'm still mystified why my wife sticks around, but I think it has something to do with sheer curiosity...

tomc likes this.
  14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #39 TheMayor, Nov 26, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    The answer is slowly --- very slowly

I've been flat broke and pretty wealthy and flat broke and... well, life is a yo-yo. That's what makes life interesting.

Working hard is good but always try to work smart. Never give up. Accept your failures, lick your wounds, and move forward again.

Never forget friends and family. Call it Karma but in the end, it always they are somehow involved.

Oh, and stay single. :)

Actually I'm joking about the single bit because never forget the real value of your wife and kids in your life.

15. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    This is good advice for some like me in their 50s. I don't make more money because I am somewhat risk adverse. Never had the balls to go out on my own, but on several reviews I have been told "you are an entrepreneur trapped in corporate America"

What advice would you give me. I know better, in my gut, but don't do better. Always played safe, saved a lot and am just now accepting that at 50 I can start enjoying some things. Yes, I'm slow.

Risk to me is going from being on the low end of the executive team for a fortune 300 company and running a 200 MM company and taking them to 1 B

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

16. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Risk to me is declaring that I'm going to build something that the world has never seen but I know it desperately needs, despite everyone around me telling me I'm nuts and it's impossible.

VAF84, Texas Forever and Dewinator like this.
  17. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I always use protection.

You can buy a Ferrari on almost any income if you skip having kids, plus time to actually enjoy it.

Loxo, Island Time, VAF84 and 3 others like this.
  18. rhtky

rhtky Rookie

Nov 16, 2021
    Wow! What a great and detailed advice!! I really appreciate it. I didn‘t expect something like that. I won‘t forget these advices on the way to fulfilling my dreams.

ebobh15 likes this.
  19. rhtky

rhtky Rookie

Nov 16, 2021
    Thank you for sharing your experiences! I totally agree with you, especially with the part about not forgetting your friends and family.

Indeed. I think having a family that supports you is the biggest and most beautiful wealth you can have!

20. rajaramsivasankar

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rajaram Sivasankar

Wow this really resonates with me! I’m in a similar position to OP, but see some people around me make mediocre goals and fail to follow through because it’s not exciting enough.

I also loved the part about giving to others, be it wealth, time or knowledge. I feel that what you do comes around, and hoarding any of these just to oneself only harms the person in the long run. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, great to see I’m not the weird one for thinking bigger than I should!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

bmxer4ever and ebobh15 like this.
  21. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I would add one other factor that makes a BIG difference in your ability to save and invest: Don't have children.

I wanted a Ferrari since the 1950s. I finally bought a new Portofino. The Ferrari cost more than twice what I paid for any of the houses that I bought in Palo Alto,but it wouldn't amount to a down payment on any of those houses now.

Texas Forever likes this.
  22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    But my 4 children are what make me happy beyond all work and assets/toys…they are what make everything worth it. They are also my legacy, what I will pass on to them, whether it be my Ferraris or principles or other joys and dreams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. rhtky

rhtky Rookie

Nov 16, 2021
    Well said.

plastique999 likes this.
  24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It helps to be in the United States. The door is closing, but this is the best place in the world to improve your life.

Loxo likes this.
  25. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    SF Bay Area and South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    I married the right woman. She gives me stability, confidence, and a sense of purpose. Without her I would be nothing because she is young, hot, owns her own company, and makes a ****load of money.

VAF84, Texas Forever and tomc like this.