HELP... Severe Insurance Problem | FerrariChat

HELP... Severe Insurance Problem

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Boy Wonder, Nov 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    Yikes, I have a very beautiful 575M and i love the car. I had had a 456GT in which i have a freak accident last year and that car was totaled....
    Due to another freak circumstance my former insurance company cancelled me due to "non payment" but they never contacted me in any way, although they said they did. Bottom line they refused to reinstate or issue a new policy because of last years accident. ( The car suffered relatively minor damage , but the airbags went off, and that insurance company decided to total the car)

So the companies that have turned me down are American Collectors, Hagerty, and several other big name companies

I have contacted Grundy , they have to get back to me,,

Question: Anyone have other "enthusiast " companies with reasonable pricing?
    Or does anyone have any ideas...

If i can't get insurance at a reasonable price ~1500-2000 vs 5K + i will probably sell the car, which i don't want to do

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Try American modern car insurance

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

3. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    So just to understand the facts….Let’s say your 456 insurance carrier was Geico. You totaled the car and they took a huge bath on the loss….a mid six figure loss when you paid less than $20k in premiums?

Then they cancel you after you buy a 575 and miss a payment?

I’m assuming that the circumstances around the 456 accident probably have something to do with it.

The problem now is that you are a known high risk owner so finding a company to take the risk should be high unless you are willing to have a $30-40k deductible.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Does the provider of your home owners insurance and your daily driver(s) not provide a reasonable rate?

5. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    they are happy to collect on 2 houses and 4 cars, but deny and reject the 575

6. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    the policy closed on the 456 when the payout was made, about 6 months later i bought the 575 , got coverage from American Collectors. I thought it was on Auto Pay, ,, but they say they dont do that
    i issed 6 months and i never heard from them.

oh yes, they refused to cover me because of the accident

the accident was very unique, and i always wanted to discuss it here, it was weird,, to say the least

7. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    I offered to drop the collision and do Liability only, i would take the high deductible as well. no luck

8. mominayal

mominayal Karting

Feb 2, 2017
    Indiana
    Details of the accident please if you are willing to share.

I had a similar issue yrs ago with The Rogers rate ppl. My friend was driving and totaled my California. My insurance paid out and 6m later cancelled all my auto policies (kept the house).

geico and progressive were willing to take me at not much of an increase from what I was paying.

9. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    I will post the details of the accident, separately, as i don;t want to veer off the track here

10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Tell ins co to pound sand. Take everything to a new one. You probably have daily drivers so you should be able to get Ferrari ins usually limited miles which keeps cost down. Personally I do liability only on all cars including new purchases. Over the years the premium saved have netted me many free cars. These thieves pay actual cash value and you always get screwed in a loss. So I just buy absolutely only what I need.

F456M, Salami and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  11. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    You may have already tried, but I have my Viper and 456 with Progressive... good premium, no mileage or use limitations.....

12. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sorry to hear - it sounds really frustrating.

FWIW- when I bought my 575 last year, I reached out to Hagerty, but they wouldn't pick me up bc I had not owned an exotic car before. I have my daily cars through USAA and was able to get my 575 insured through them for around $2000/year. Now that I've owned the car for a year, I am switching it to Hagerty, which is cheaper and more tailored to the collector/enthusiast owner.

USAA has slipped a step or two in recent years, but they are still pretty great to deal with. If you are eligible for USAA, it might be worth giving them a call.

13. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yep. Have my dailies insured thru USAA and they've always been great to deal with, but their specialty car coverage isn't very competitive with other carriers (they go through a secondary provider for their specialty car insurance lines...can't remember which company). For my 550 and two 911s, which I own jointly with a friends, we ended up with State Farm for stated value and reasonably flexible usage/mileage allowances. Ironically, SF's specialty car insurance is now (or will be soon) part of Hagerty.

I have two other cars, a '70 Corvette LT-1 and a '01 ERA 289 FIA Cobra replica insured through Berkley One, also stated value and reasonable usage allowance. Might give them a look and, of course, be willing to go with a high deductible and maybe liability-only or liability + comprehensive (no collision coverage).

14. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    I have friends using “PACE” with unique cars although I am unfamiliar..I just use State Farm

15. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    I was progressive on my 456 but I don’t have a recent crash. I’d echo what fatbillybob says, liability only, because they are snakes anyway. Also, with each passing week since your accident you are getting farther away from the risk they fear, so keep trying maybe you are almost past the threshold. Also, try getting quotes for your entire life, all houses and cars, together, so you are more appealing as a whole than just a bad driver in a Ferrari lol.
    Also, can I buy your crashed 456?

16. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    Thanks, never heard of Berkley One, will look them up

the killer here is the recent accident where my 456 was totaled..last year, you can see my recent post here

17. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    Look for my other post, the car was auctioned off by the ins co... the accident was last year

18. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    Here's the good news,, Grundy picked me up, i explained my accident to them and it appears all is ok,, the price was in line with Hagerty and American Collectors, both of which , however had turned me down

brogenville likes this.
  19. mominayal

mominayal Karting

Feb 2, 2017
    Indiana
    Great news! Congrats.

20. MotoMeccanica

MotoMeccanica Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    Calgary Alberta
    Just curious what people are paying? For my '95 456GT, I pay just under $600/year (Canadian $$), insured up tp appraised value of $108,000, and limited to approx 6000 miles a year.

21. mominayal

mominayal Karting

Feb 2, 2017
    Indiana
    Wow that’s cheap. Same car I’m paying $1100/yr USD but no mileage limit (although 6k would be plenty)

22. Boy Wonder

Boy Wonder Karting

May 23, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Fred Wolf
    I did have an accident last yr,, totaled the car possibly due to finding new replacement airbags

However, i was paying about 1250 with American Collectors, and now !350 w Grundy , with a cap of 2500 miles.