360's, etc. 'getting loose'.............how easy? | FerrariChat

360's, etc. 'getting loose'.............how easy?

Discussion in '360/430' started by PeterS, Nov 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I've watched many video's of higher-end exotics 'getting loose', lets say the vids you all have probably seen for example of the guy leaving a Cars and Coffee, punches it a bit and ends up into a building, ditch, guardrail or whatever.

So my question is: How easy is it to get into these situations?

Assuming a dry surface, is the only factor too much acceleration from a starting point? I've also seen vids where a driver gets really squirrely on the twisties when it appears they are driving at a reasonably safe speed. Just want to understand the 'mechanics' of getting in such trouble.

2. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    That's a humbling question coming from a Four Time F1 World Champ. :)

I think it all depends on several factors, first of all the alignment. It will dictate how the car handles.
    Then tires: how old? Pressure?
    Then road conditions: dirty? cold?

I found the Modena to get very wiggly under heavy acceleration in first gear.

sparetireless and PeterS like this.
  3. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    You are saying proper wheel alignment or a starting point alignment as to the direction you are driving?

4. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    Proper wheel alignment is key and can make or destroy a car's handling.
    For example, the new Toyota Supra is transformed after proper alignment. Between transportation and factory "mishaps" a new car is delivered with alignment that is absolute crap.

PeterS likes this.
  5. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Thank you, well explained.

6. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    I am an alignment fanboy.

It puzzles me how much money car owners spend on "accessories" and some of them have never performed an alignment in years (!!) of ownership.
    Potholes, Normal driving and track driving can change the specifications of a car's alignment - it is something that I check once a year.

Beside handling, uneven tire wear is also a sign of bad alignment.

Attached are the OEM specs, I know that CS have a more aggressive (e.g. more camber) set up.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Going into a turn too fast, lifting or giving gas at the incorrect time will send just about any car out of line. While one can not repeal the laws of physics there is some intervention from the cars various safe guards, but not much. Mid engine cars like the 360 have snap steer tendencies as well. My advice would be to have good and new tires and explore the capabilities at your own pace. I would not neutralize the cars handling until u have some miles behind the wheel in various weather conditions.

best

8. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Do not watch YouTube videos to learn to drift. It is a art and a skill that takes time to master.

Mario Andretti and one4torque like this.
  9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Physics...the interaction of body in motion, changing acceleration, and grip. Many issues, not just the C&C guys, are simply a lack of grip management...AKA running out of talent. There are only 4 contact patches and the whole goal is to stay well under the limit of adhesion on the street and right at the limit of adhesion with 3-6% slip angle on the track.

10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Drivers skill is the major factor until you get to higher levels of driving capability…

11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Cheap tires

Cold tires

Bald tires

BT and patina like this.
  12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    As prior, alignment, tires and road conditions. Keep it slow at first. Most of the accidents happen in the first 6 months when new drivers think the car can do more than it is capable. I will warn you though that with a stock setup, they get "nervous" at the limit, full throttle and above 80 MPH around a curve. And that's coming from a pro driver (not me).

Only time I almost dented her beautiful sheet metal was around a curve in cooler weather with perhaps a moisture on the asphalt. Took a turn too fast and when rear wheels lost grip, watch the rebound when they suddenly get grip again... road was too cold and moist for my tires.

13. patina

patina Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Lake Norman, NC
    Buy a set of Michelin P4S and you won’t ever have that issue.

Blows me away others are mentioning Firestone tires on these cars in another thread. Tires should be the LAST thing you cheap out on.

14. FatMike

FatMike Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2018
    Marco Island, FL and sometimes NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Your uninformed.

The Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's are rebranded Bridgestone Potenza re003's. They aren't cheap and they aren't crap.

Since they come in a size that actually fits the 360 they are a reasonable tire choice.

/

BT and energy88 like this.
  15. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    #15 KC360 FL, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Tires out of date are a real concern.
    Even with top quality tires, rubber gets hard and the traction disappears. When they are cold--- even worse. Ask me how I found this out...;)

I had my 360 for over 3 months of driving before I ever thought of pushing it to the limit or "flooring it". I always try to get a feel for what a new car (to me) will do and what the results will be. And I have had some track time (not with my 360 but with my 911) so not a newbie to driving a car with "conviction"

And the 360 will surely get away from you as any car will. Learning the car and not being surprised is the key.

AnythingButTime and Need4Spd like this.
  16. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    That is good to know since the Bridgestones are no longer made in that size and would probably have cost at least $40 per tire more due to the OEM name. This observation is based on very similar OEM tires supplied on early S2000s which TireRack has available for that car in both brands. Otherwise, the Michelins and Pirellis appear to be the only other main line brand available for a 360 and run about $275 to $675 a set more, respectively, than the Firestones.

17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    OEM size 215/45-18 is very difficult to find in a performance tire. So unless you go with Firehawks, you need to go with 225/40-18 up front and 285/35-18 rear to use MP4S.
    On any tire, put at least 500 miles on them before drawing any conclusions. It can take that long for them to develop maximum grip. They need a few heat cycles and miles to wear off the slippery mold release compound they’re manufactured with.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

18. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Interesting. Lets take a non aggressive driver. Never much over 10% above the posted speed limit, very careful on the twisties and drives like there is no insurance on the car. Is a high-end tire a valuable, must have component or is a decent middle of the road tire OK?

19. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Then, a deer pops out in front of this non aggressive driver and suddenly, the tires are of paramount importance.

What tire would you want? Bargain basement or the best?

I put the best tires on ALL my cars. Myself and my family are worth it.

20. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Case closed!

AndreB and EastMemphis like this.
  21. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    Well said. Tires are the only thing between the car and the road

22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Closer to topic, you can dial out some of the terminal, snap oversteer with wheel alignment. This was posted by 360 Trev.
    I’d recommend the CS spec. Just carefully watch inner tire edge wear. If you drive a lot in a straight line, use the 430 spec. Both are less prone to oversteer. Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    Fish tailing in straight line is very different from Oversteering in a turn.
    There're countless videos of experienced drag racer losing control even with properly warmed up sticky rubbers. Most of them ended up crashing!
    I went to a 3 day camp to learn drifting from the Japanese, we were taught to induce the drift at a fairly low speed, well below the recovery limits. I can drift (power steer) the 360 a little out of a tight turn slowly on a rainy day with full confidence. I **** my pants every time the car fish tail on a straight road.

24. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Your average speed during such an event?

25. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Agreed. And to add, I have found not a big price difference in this size and league of tires for our 360. Cheap and top of the line yes. But middle of the road? Not a significant savings IMHO.