Is 296 GTB supposed to be F8 replacement? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Is 296 GTB supposed to be F8 replacement?

Discussion in '296' started by squires, Jun 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I’ve never understood the attraction to drifting, but the ability to do that was specifically built into the F8 handling system beginning with the CT off mode. No doubt a newer car should be more advanced, see where the 296 stacks up after real world testing.

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Drifting is my favorite car activity. Too bad I'm no good at it.​

F2003-GA likes this.
  3. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I was discussing the theories on the end of the F8 and the 296 etc., with my dealer today. He predicts the F8 will end production 3rd to 4th quarter 2022. He has a theory that they may do a F8 Challenge, but it is uncertain. Some who love to track have mentioned to him their reservation in tracking a hybrid with the battery (potential fire etc., issues), preferring to race something without the big battery onboard. That backs up the Challenge idea. But who knows? They have also had some technical issues with the SF90's that have passed through.

4. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    Challenge cars need to last at least 3 (and more like 4) seasons or it doesnt make sense economically for everyone involved in Challenge racing. This race season we are still using 488 Challenge but now with the Evo kit. Mine is from 2017.

On top of that, there is not a huge leap in technology difference in terms of engine technology going to the F8.

Ferrari has to be prepared for future racing and that will mean at least hybrid. IMO.

5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    488 and F8 are more or less the same car, the F8 is rather a 488M than a really new car. Since the Challenge car is different from the road car anyway, a 488 Challenge could be rebranded as F8 Challenge with only minor changes to remind the new road car.
    Regarding the end of production of the F8, my guess would be slightly earlier than Q3/Q4 2022 but not by much since from what I heard, customer deliveries of 296 are not likely before mid 2022... and Ferrari needs to continue selling cars, they (or their shareholders) cannot accept several months without sales of their core model.
    For 2023 and beyond Ferrari will need a Challenge based on the 296.

456-boy, day355 and Dela like this.
  6. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Drive a bunch of laps then ask a 250 pound friend to be your passenger. The extra weight will be instantly noticeable. It makes a massive difference. Pun intended.

I can tell a difference on the street when a large buddy is riding in my M5.

7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

So Ferrari the first to have a challenge series on cars that are Hybrid ?

8. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    From the pics I’ve seen, it sounds like you’re being charitable.

Mike

9. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    #84 SVR, Jul 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    And my!
    488 perfect for drift.
    Waiting for 296 to test it abilities.
    I'm sure it will be even better. and if not, then Pista to old age.

10. Tilltap

Tilltap Rookie

Mar 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Timothy Tilley
    My friend ordered an F8 spyder about three weeks ago. Then dealership said all orders for the F8 are closed. I did my deposit on a 296 last week. Going in today to start the spec process. This is a bucket list item for me and my wife.

furmano, Ferrari 360 CS, tomc and 3 others like this.
  11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations and enjoy every minute of it!

12. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    I have a 296 and sf90 spider on order, my only reason why I think the 296 is not the f8 replacement is because of its size. 296 is small but as many mentioned the price is right in line with the f8 so who knows.

ryalex likes this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    What if there is no direct F8 replacement but rather a car that is meant to achieve the highest performance (SF90) and another car (296) that is still very high performance but its personality is rooted in “fun to drive”?

When they debuted the SF90 the materials had a picture of the 250 GTO and the 250 GT Lusso. Mr. Enzo Ferrari was splitting his legendary 250 SWB platform: One was a max performance machine, the other more street oriented and luxurious.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Slicknick and Jo Sta7 like this.
  14. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    I think dealers are not taking anymore sf90 deposits as well, so I guess that needs a replacement too

15. Slicknick

Slicknick Karting

Oct 15, 2019
    Willebroek, Belgium
    Full Name:
    N. Y. Yazgan
    I would agree...More than a direct replacement for the F8 as such, the 296 GTB is an indirect, and a little bit of a spiritual successor instead, taking the mantle from the mid-engined V8 "entry" models that kicked off with the 308 GTB and comes to an end with the F8 Tributo.

Rather than directly replacing the outgoing models, Ferrari are clearly having a tectonic shift in their product range...and as much as it makes me a bit nostalgic, I welcome this new direction of Ferrari

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    #91 ntatfas, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    To the broad question the answer is clearly yes, the 296 replaces the F8 in terms of it being the "standard / non limited volume" mid engined offering from Ferrari. If the 296 were a 298 nobody would be talking about this, but as environmental legislation pushes manufacturers into smaller / no ICE engine vehicles these changes (V8 to V6 or V12 to V8 Hybrid, etc and the feel/noise/etc) do lead to the question being raised and, IMHO, detract from the key question – is the 296 better than the F8 it replaces.

The answer is YMMV, we know some prefer the non-turbo cars and talk about the noise, some the lack of direct input/feeling of the newer cars, some ... and we could go on for a long time.

I think it is for each of us to go see, rather than comment on pictures, then test drive rather than take other people's opinions and come to our own conclusions to what we feel about each car – thats what the dealerships are there for and eventually the hire companies as they receive stock.

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    If anything, the newer cars are more precise and reactive to driver inputs.

Napoli likes this.
  18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don’t think you’re necessarily wrong, but what are you basing this statement on? Certainly not personal experience.

Coincid likes this.
  19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #94 REALZEUS, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Personal experience (not with the 296 obviously, but newer vs older sports cars in general and Ferraris in specific). Your ad hominem reference is also sad (I wrote "deplorable" at first, but I really don't want to up the ante; I prefer to discuss cars, rather than personal insults). You could have just agreed or disagreed with my statement; no need to make it personal. Cheers.

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Reactive and precise yes, but as far as driver involvement and feedback they suck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

Care to elaborate? In my book involvement is when you tell a car to do something and it complies immediately. I also own a few classics (from a Mini to an E-Type), and I have an idea about what you might mean, but I wouldn't want to assume.

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    He is referring to all the nannies in newer cars. Newer cars take control as needed.

23. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    There is always the option to turn the nannies off, but that's not advisable in a 600-800-1000 HP car!!! Even Kimi spun the LaFerrari when he turned all the nannies off...

24. AliPaPa

AliPaPa Karting

Aug 16, 2011
    I overheard a senior telling the sales not to say F8 is discontinued, instead tell customer that the order book is very full and they don't have a delivery date.
    Maybe Ferrari want to wait and see how their potential customer is buying the concept of v6 platform, then decide rather or not to stop the v8?

JTSE30 likes this.
  25. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not the worst strategy.