Seat Belts | FerrariChat

Seat Belts

Discussion in '206/246' started by racerboy9, Nov 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I am sorting through my seat belts and I know the ones on the left with the vertical slots are correct but I'm not sure of the ones on the right with the horizontal slots. They will work but I'm just not sure they are correct for the Dino.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The right hand two are probably not correct for Dinos/Daytonas.

Those sorts of belts came on some USA Ford models; if you pull the belt all the way out, I think you will even find a Ford label on the base of the belt webbing, but I could be wrong about that.

The black plastic covers are the same as the Dino/Daytona belts, but the tongue is not not right...

3. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    What Ford model had those seat belts?

4. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I Googled a ton of Dino interior pictures (most of which don't show the seat belts) and found one like the ones on the right. Not sure if that means they are correct. They do have the faded Kippan label and are made the same as the others and the webbing is the same. No Ford labels anywhere.

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
  6. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Ferrari and Ford never mixed. GM was a better match! The Robbins seat belts original to the Dino in 72' buckle mechanism replacements were from GM. So I think the Robbins at least were GM based? I am wondering about the black molded cover that one sees in the picture above?

7. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I'd bet a nice breakfast that the retractor in that picture is not original to the car.

That retractor is (1) very similar, (2) will actually work with the stock "button" side of the buckle, and (3) very easy to get. So it would be fairly natural to find one in a Dino every now and then.

8. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    This is interesting. What model number is listed on the label?

Still, I think it is more likely that they came from some other car. Certainly anything other than the Klippan that one normally sees would be a very odd duck.

9. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Just to be clear, the Ford models have the "incorrect" (in my estimation) seat belts on the right side of the picture.

If you search on eBay for belts from Ford Torinos, Racheros, and Fairlanes from that era, it won't take long for you to come across that retractor.

10. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Robbins supplied seat belt components to all sorts of folks.

The fact that Ford and Ferrari used the same component suppliers does not imply that they "mixed" to any degree.

The black molded cover on those "right side" retractors is pretty much an exact match for the ones that came on the 100% correct retractors. The buckles and webbing are not correct, however, so you'll need to switch those out if you want a belt that looks 100% correct.

BTW: if you try to remove those covers, do yourself a favor, and go buy a good hot-air gun (the kind used to soften house paint (so that you can scrape the paint off the wall). If you try and remove those covers when they are room temp, you are *very* likely to crack the hard plastic collar that is inside the opening that the belt end comes out of (ask me how I know).

Even if the cover seems "rock hard", heating it with an air-gun will eventually start to soften it, and the retractor assembly will come out easily...

11. jpbrown

jpbrown Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    These were on my 1972 Dino when I bought it in 1979. 16,000 miles on the car at that time, so no reason to think they are not original.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    USA delivery car?

13. jpbrown

jpbrown Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Yes S/N 3426.

14. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Ok, that is very interesting. If it were a Euro car, then non-original belts might have been installed fairly early in its life.

If you pull the belt all the way out, is there model number listed on the Klippan label?

If it shows "562" it is odd that the same model of belt was delivered with two different types of buckles.

Alternately, if a different model is shown, then it would appear that at least Dinos were delivered with something other than 562s...

15. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #15 4CamGT, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    I believe Euro cars starting with the 206’s would have had Klippans similar to this:
    https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=13724.0

I’ve also seen in late product more modern retractable Klippen seat belts. The key parts are still available through DeLorean (passenger side female part)
    https://store.delorean.com/100702-rh-seat-belt-assy.html

On US cars I’ve only seen the Robbins style with a lap belt only (don’t know why) on late production.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
  17. jpbrown

jpbrown Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    No labels (or remnants thereof) on the retractor straps.
    Labels on the shoulder straps and buckle straps are completely faded.
    Buckle has molded instructions and "MFG BY ROBBINS".