Heat Exchanger Failuer | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Heat Exchanger Failuer

Discussion in '360/430' started by goachild2000, Oct 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    As long as it has a similar surface area any thing will do the job

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Dish washing liquid is great for breaking oil up

3. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    This happened to my car about 2 years and 4000km before I got it, they did all the clean /drain stuff at a dealership, it cost a fortune to rectify at the time, then I picked the car up from Melbourne and drove it to Sydney 900km in a day ,you should have seen the sludge in the expansion tank the next day, I nearly passed out as I read about this problem thinking it had just happened, I drove to my mechanic and we went through the wad of invoices to find it had been fixed beforehand and then he suggested that the big drive was the best thing for the car, even though the system had been thoroughly flushed it didn’t properly remove the transmission fluid lining the hoses but the long drive properly flushed it all into the expansion tank.
    We flushed the system twice again and it’s been clean since but I still get diff chatter on reversing and slow down hill rolling in second but it’s been fine for nearly 4 years now and the clutch is nudging 34,000km so at 122500km ,so far so good

lkstaack likes this.
  4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Just ordered the parts from Europe. Those rubber cups are about $200 each at eurospares.

A more digestible price.

mdileo likes this.
  5. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Definitely an A/C compressor leaking :(

And looks like you’re getting new motor mounts (not yet reattached to the frame and the engine)...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    That's where I got mine; and it only took 4 days to get to San Diego. However, I'm uncertain that I even needed them. My old ones were virtually indistinguishable from the new ones in terms of pliability.

Skippr1999 likes this.
  7. mdileo

mdileo Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    Nyc
    Full Name:
    Max
    I just had a major done and motor mounts
    And yes the ac unit took a dump . Would love if someone for the life of me can post a delphi part number.

8. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I was combing through these threads today and could not find any pictures of a failed heat exchanger...

Given the unknown history of my car and doing a major service at 40,000 miles I decided to take a look at my heat exchanger "while I was there." Additionally, having just rebuilt my LSD, I did not want to have an exchanger failure filling it with coolant! After extraction, a couple of observations and a new alternate theory of failure.

1) there are some, what I would call, large metal chips from machining in the water side.
    2) my car seemed to have a considerable amount of black sludge in the transmission oil. I decided to clean both the oil side and water side. Initially, the paint thinner did not want to flow through the oil side which was worrisome!

I now wonder if the cause of heat exchanger failure is not due to corrosion from the water side, but due to pressure buildup on the oil side from lack of flow, causing it to burst into the water? I would be curios to see a if that is how it occured on failed exchangers.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This wahsed out of one of the tubes!

I am going to thuroughly clean and inspect both sides before reinstallation and make sure the oil side flows.

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    See if any local shops have some carbon cleaning liquid and fill up the oil side, be sure you have good ventilation as it stinks. let it soak a few days and see what you get out.
    I did an explanation re tube failures on another thread- leakage of this type of tube cooler is common ships where we have lots of these, they generally leak in the first part of the tube at the water inlet end- caused by a form of cavitation which removes the zinc molecules from the alloy used to make the tubes. We call it de- zincafication
    If the water velocity is too high then you get turbulence in the tube inlet and cavitation. Your water velocity depends on your style of driving so if you drive at low revs you may not get a problem etc.
    No way will the oil pressure rupture the tube unless it is thinned by the water, as its in compression.

Need4Spd likes this.
  10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I suspect that the problem is simple. Owners would rather look at it in the garage and think “I have a ferrari” than actually drive the car for fear of loosing value. Acidic degradation of either side of the aluminum exchanger leading to failure. 68k miles on mine with no failure on my euro.

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Is that a 360 or a 430

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt

one4torque likes this.
  13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I was wondering as it looks like a brass / bronze cooler

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Mine is an earlier car.. when I had it apart with a scope it looked aluminum from the inside..

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Has it got baffle plates on the oil side to direct the flow ?

16. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I believe it does. I opened mine up after replacement and there are half circle baffles the length of the oil side to encourage longer path oil flow. The exchanger hadn't failed but I replaced it as a precaution. Fortunate I did, the oil side was near completely blocked with black grainy crud (I guess LSD wear material).

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/transmission-oil-water-heat-exchanger-autopsy.595055/

17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It does not surprise me, the crud as you call it will be carbon from the combustion, it will come out of the hot oil as it hits the cooler tubes. We used to circulate carbon cleaner in the big ships coolers to remove this stuff. The modern plate coolers can be opened up and both sides of the plates cleaned.
    To clean yours you would need to pump the solution through at a fair rate to break it up, might be an idea to think about putting some STP engine oil flush in the sump for 15 mins before you change the oil and that should stop it building up.

18. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    What combustion?? It's the gearbox oil cooler. No combustion inside gearbox.

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I am not with it this week, 2 nd time i picked something up wrong in last few days- do u think i might be loosing it.

20. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    Thanks for that great link! I am surprised I did not find that with the search.
    I think that is exactly what is going on in my exchanger. This weekend I was flushing it out and black crud/particles kept coming out. I eventually put it in an ultrasonic cleaner 4 times for 10 minutes with Simple Green cleaner, then a DI water, and now drying. At $900 I don't want to throw it away if it's still good.

21. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I think they're cheaper from Eurospares, but I recommend getting a new one if yours is original. The cost of a failure is potentially an order of magnitude more than $900!

22. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    It has occurred to me also that I am slowly losing my mind but for the love of God I can't remember why.

23. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I asked god and he said i was more crackers than you are. We better both be cautious of men coming in white coats and a van with bars on the windows

24. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    guys this does happen to F430's as well? or only a 360 thing?