C8 Z06 | Page 30 | FerrariChat

C8 Z06

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by sainthoo, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I wouldn't sit on a chair I built much less want to drive a car with an engine I assembled lol

2. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    If Pobst does the driving, I can promise you the Porsche will be faster...:rolleyes:

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    he did set lap records with zr1 i think. but yeah, he loves porsche.

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    10k per year, they have what 15 k orders not all of which will materialize.
    Once the e Rey is out it’s paper acceleration numbers will be at least as good if not better and a portion of orders will move there
    z06 is. 2 year wait

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    e Rey will be “faster” on paper. They’ll be able to make plenty of those.

many number of people wo t love the z06 simply because it’s going to need to rev to move. I think the e Rey will pull a number of formerz06 orders

6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    If they can make close to 10K/yr and have 15K orders (with a significant portion dropping out) then there is a reasonably good chance I could get mine built towards the end of ‘24. I’m ok with that, I just want one!

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Wonder if GM is thinking about opening up a third shift at Bolling Green? Strike while the iron is hot!

LARRYH and italiafan like this.
  8. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^
    No
    I think the base Z06 coupe is going to be around $90K, plus/minus a couple of grand.

TheMayor likes this.
  9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Right now they are supplier limited. I don't see that changing for a while. Looks like they are still having problems with their wheel maker.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    we’re in the same boat.
    It will be a 24 model year
    Lots can happen in that timeframe.
    The global economy could be blown by then, if so they could be selling at a discount

the 5 top dealers seem to have 5k orders not all of which will materialize.
    I’m assuming that all the other dealers have a few so that’s how I came up with 15k, could be 10k or 20k
    2024 model year makes sense

italiafan likes this.
  11. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    For whatever it’s worth…. chief engineer said the C8Z06 will not be significantly faster than C7 for a given lap, but it will lap consistently at pace - not built for the single hero lap which then requires cool down for another go. Only time will tell how true that might be.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Read that too, something about subsequent laps getting faster. Given the Na motor the powertrain should be consistent lap after lap. Given the weight, not sure about the rest
    Time will tell if it can do 10-12 consistent laps and how many laps per day before tires or brakes are hosed.

Imo its 500lbs too heavy to be a serious(road car) player on track, its also 80-200k less expensive than a GT4Rs Gt3rs, Gt2 etc. Lighter costs $ to acheive and thats an obvious place where the vette saved $ to get to the price. For the road though, that weight is irelevant.

The vette in general seems well aimed at a perrformance/price point niche no one else inhabits

13. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Engine build on C6 ZR1.

14. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Agree completely, wish they could have gotten down close to 3000#- which is still heavy for track use.
    I’ll get my first taste of my Ginetta this weekend (just under 2500#).
    https://jalopnik.com/the-ginetta-g55-gta-makes-modifying-a-street-car-seem-s-1845741351
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    BMWCCA SE46, about the same weight. Image Unavailable, Please Login

BJK and k wright like this.
  15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Great article on the ginettea. One should read the whole article becaise it clearly states the beneiftis of low mass fot the track.

Opening pargaraphs. "
    So, you think you’ve made your car into a pretty serious track day car? You just bought a high-end track weapon to dominate your favorite HPDE (High Performance Driver Education) school? You probably don’t realize just how compromised it really is.

A good sports car will survive on the track. A great car will do reasonably well there, with the level of performance on track being inversely proportional to its road manners. With enough money, the addition of active suspensions, active isolators, active aero, and more can reduce the compromises of a road car headed for the track — but they all add weight. And adding more money in carbon fiber bits can only help so much. Turning a road car into a dedicated track car is largely an exercise in undoing and re-engineering what was originally designed while physically removing as much excess mass as possible, but a car’s origins can never be fully hidden"

To me the greatest single sin of a road car in track is excess weight, followed by softness or worse softness banished though minmal compliance/excess stiffness which is neither good on or off track. Yes you can add hp which compensates in some areas for the weight, But then building all the components stout enough to handle the hp requires more weight. You can then reduce some weight with cubic dollars, cf wheels body parts etc. In the 150-200k realm a street car can be reduced to 3200lbs(porches) and for another 100k maclaren can lose another 200 or so lbs.

The vette then is more like a lambo, the type of car that does not care about weight, its high hp, dramatic, fast, exotic, great fun on road and it may well survive on track, but there is no way to avoid the effects of 3700lbs..
    the C6 z06 was reputedly 3150 lbs. A Nissan Gtr weighted what the c8 z06 does, it can be made to work of a fashion on track, but by definition its not a major track weapon and regardless of hp and tire size cant be what a 3200lbs street car is on track..

More than likely the z06 will score well on a magazine hot lap track test, and undoutably will provide an owner with some great fun at a De event. Its about context, the vette is a supercar you can drive to and on the track, and it will probbaly be better than the other supercars on track. A GT4Rs is not going to be a supercar but is likely to be far more of a suitable track steed for serious work, and about as good as an out the box street car can be on track.

For me then the z06 is an ocasional track car for the fun of what it can do and for convenience of a drive to the track car, its simply not a replacement for a real track car. A great fast road car on track imo Mclaren 600lt Gt4/3 Rs and thats about it, none of these being cheap to buy or reasonable to run except the Gt4 may be relatively reasonable to run. The vette will, cost less, be a hell of a lot more fun/useable on most USA Big roads/highway and less expesive to run on track except for tires and pads which are the two main daily expenses. Horses for courses.

If you offered me to choose one car only for 10 free laps, a newer ferrari(non pista) or a C8 z06 Id probably take the C8. If it were a pista or GT3, they would be the choice. For any type of regular road use, the vette hands down.

Im really looking forwards to mine and expect it to exceed expectations within context. i also expect it to be as well put together as a porche and as durable while being a whole lot more reliable.
    These really are the last of the true ice cars, so will be keepers. Ferrrai is already going hybrid and has been turbo for a while.

sainthoo likes this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I would not want to buy a used one if the prior owner was part of the build your own program especially after seeing that video.

17. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Does the new z06 have the start stop ********? I assume it does but figured I'd ask.

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No.

19. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you. I can officially like this car now. :cool:

MikeR397 and sigar like this.
  20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It also has no V4 mode. That is, it doesn't shut off 4 cylinders when cruising.

MikeR397 and PaulK like this.
  21. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Maybe after the owner builder leaves the real engine guys come out and completely disassemble and reassemble the engine?

22. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thecadster likes this.
  23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    i think you miss the point. There are any number of great pure track cars, with varying degrees of support needed to run them.

There are a very very few street cars that work reasonably well on track. It’s a rare unique proposition to have car you can drive to and on track, the logistics are then very different. With the exception Of a few porches and the late lotus Elise pretty much no other car does it really well, it was hoped that a Vette with the z06 moniker would also be one of those. 3700 lbs says not so much which does not mean it’s not a great all around road car or a car that won’t last of a fashion on track.

Thecadster likes this.
  24. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^
    If nothing else, we know the Z06 won't need it's transmission rebuilt after 100 hours...

sainthoo likes this.
  25. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    I think the new Corvette will make an excellent track day car as have its predecesors. I also have a Lotus Exige S and an Ultima GTR, I never leave a track day with any of these cars disatisfied with their performance.