348 lift points and advice requested | FerrariChat

348 lift points and advice requested

Discussion in '348/355' started by larrymika, Nov 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. larrymika

larrymika Rookie

Jul 20, 2021
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Larry Mika
    So I have searched this forum for older posts and am not super comfortable with what I’ve been able to find so far. I have a slow leak on my passenger rear tire (I think) that seems to have a mind of it’s own about how long it holds full pressure before quickly going flat. Tires were new this Aug.

Anyway, I need to have the tire examined and I have 3 choices. 1- I pull the tire off the car and take to a tire shop then put it back on myself. 2- take the car in the current cold Chicago weather to a good tire shop, which may not have experience on jacking up a 348 and run the risk of radiator cracks and other bad stuff mentioned in 10 year old threads here. 3- take to a Ferrari dealership, don’t worry about jacking mistakes, but pay through the nose for a $25 tire service.

I’m toying with either going to a certified F dealership and asking them to take pictures on the lift that I can pass on to the community, or B actually writing a letter to Ferrari to ask them for input

All advice would be appreciated.

2. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-jack-points.167938/

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Along with the regular lift points, you can go further back, any where along the beam where the motor bolts to. Also pinch points are the rear just in front of the door seam.

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  5. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    larrymika likes this.
  6. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Definitely pull the wheel yourself. You will sleep better and get faster service if you bring in a loose wheel. If you place the jack at the proper lift point below the rearward edge of the door it will probably lift both front and rear tires off the ground. Once the wheel is off put a jack stand under the rear subframe.
    Hint 1: suggest gently removing the wheel center emblem yourself rather than let some overworked 19 year old try popping it off.
    Hint 2: take a wheel bolt to the hardware store and get a matching metric thread long bolt, cut the head off and hand thread it just a few turns into the hub in the 12 o'clock position. Putting the wheel back on is a lot easier using that bolt as a locating pin rather than trying to line that heavy wheel and tire up to get the first bolt into a threaded hole.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

larrymika and Mike Morrissey like this.
  7. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
  8. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #8 348Jeff, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    Hi Larry

All the above photos look like good options so I would do it yourself :)

If you can take the wheel off first inflate the tyre back up to the correct pressure then get some washing up liquid mixed up with water and spread it around the bead of your tyre and round the valve. Any leak will blow a bubble. I suspect that maybe the rim of the wheel needed cleaning before fitting the new tyre so it's not seating quite right.

Just a thought anyway and it would be nice to go into the tyre shop knowing exactly what needs doing to fix it.

No connection with below but to give you a better idea of what I'm on about

larrymika likes this.
  9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I use the rear like ronr shows for sure except when removing the engine then its as I showed.

larrymika likes this.