Actual Driving Impressions/Thoughts | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Actual Driving Impressions/Thoughts

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by jumpinjohn, Nov 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    You can push this car and owners shouldn’t be afraid to, it’s designed and built to do that brilliantly. But as I mentioned above, not with cold cup thres. The car really is not unpredictable, in fact the opposite. I think that’s why this is such a surprise. I have driven 3k very quick miles in the car and I know it very well now, at least at 15+ degrees.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    [QUOTE="Lukeylikey, post: 148213798, member: 115203"I have driven 3k very quick miles in the car and I know it very well now, at least at 15+ degrees.[/QUOTE]

In your climate and mine, 15+ C would restrict serious driving to 3 months per year.

3. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    In your climate and mine, 15+ C would restrict serious driving to 3 months per year.[/QUOTE]
    Not really, it’s 15+ in the UK from March/April to around October. You can have fun in non MPSC2 shod sports cars even through winter, except when it’s icy. We put winters on our 911 C4S and Taycan which go well at any time of year.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Front tire straightens no matter what. If you drive ev mode, and floor it mid corner, you front will straighten against you will. This happens with ICE on too.
    This makes the car sort of four wheel drift near impossible.
    On the road as long as there is no ice, i am confident of driving whenever. When car is moving front pulls first. So make sure rear gets straight when you gas more.
    On track sometimes it is seamless. Sometimes you can feel turbo lag and front is not pushing hard at the same time.

In short, we need software update which makes the car more neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    I am 70 ice 30 ev
    100 qualifying 100 ct off

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. Keen

Keen Karting

Dec 9, 2014
    I agree with you about the 765 LT, to me it is the best car on the market today.
    In another place, I saw your acceleration times/figures and they are out of this world for a pure RWD car.
    The funny part however is that the straightline performance is still not even the most relevant factor which makes the 765 LT amazing: to me motricity, mechanical grip, gerabox and steering feebacks are the best a person can have today from a road legal car.

About the SF90, it is a different car in its philosophy, but from recent tests and 99% of the driving impressions from owners it appears as well to be a fantastic machine in its own right.
    That's why it would be great for the community to have the possibility to hear honest opinions and feedback from people who drove them both.

Probably, it is just a matter of time for them to come so we have to be patient.

Caeruleus11 and Coincid like this.
  7. MrFloppi

MrFloppi Karting

Mar 15, 2014
    If you drive like me in qualifying all the time and like to push the car a bit try to use ESC off - when conditions and traffic allows of course - and see if the car feels more natural to you. I made this experience and in my opinion the SF90 is more predictable for me in qualifying with ESC off.

If the car goes into oversteer in a corner you can control the throttle pretty well to use the front motors to straighten the car out.

In my case the car came on Bridgestone run flats which are really not designed for that machine…but was mandatory by law in this region.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Problem is I send a car no matter what lol. I have to calm down a bit and Sf90 is not natural. I can do slide all day long with say bmw m2 or gt3. SF90 with esc off still intervenes the throttle when oversteped. I just dont like it. It numbs the throttle when front angle is over the given angle.

Well, ct off is mainly for the throttle input and uptemporing the shift and responses.
    And also, I try not to do stupid things on the road anymore lol. Too many spotters out there with incam in the parked cars or what not. Old days when I can slide making smokes are gone and I moved to a track for tire smashjng fun.

willcrook and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    I have the cup2 tires, which came with the car. Any recommendations to change them to something else if I live in a cold climate where we have only +15 C 3-4 months per year?

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Scandinavia you say? Anything below 7 Celsius and winter tyres come into their own. They drive much worse than summer tyres though and they usually have a speed limit (240 kph in most cases). So, I wouldn't bother with winter tyres in such a supercar and would only drive it during the summer time.

Rrr1 and willcrook like this.
  11. Rotti

Rotti Rookie

Feb 27, 2013
    Canberra
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hey man, Brisbane boy here! Interesting. Not driven the SF90, but was interested. Shmee150 loves it, many don’t. My old 599 and 355’s were heaps of fun. Hmmm….maybes get that Speciale always wanted instead then….

12. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    I loved it so much that I ordered second one :)
    Don’t judge by others but drive it on track.
    It is so much better car than Pista for me.

JJ77 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. Rotti

Rotti Rookie

Feb 27, 2013
    Canberra
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Congrats man! And thanks for the feedback ✌️

14. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm in Adelaide. Is the Spider press car still doing the rounds? I drove it and the coupe before it and also drove the coupe at Eastern Creek. It's hard to imagine someone not liking the car but I guess it depends whether you bring an open mind or are looking for evidence to confirm prior expectations. It feels like a more complex car than the Pista which it is of course but it will do things the Pista can't do too. The AWD does give it a different feel in corners. The car feels a lot faster than the Pista but it's also true to say it has more power you can use on the road. It's nicer inside, rides better, sounds better (when you are cooking) and has better seats (race buckets) and stereo (assuming upgraded sound on both cars). It's only real downside is the lack of luggage space for weekends away.

FWIW, I've done 22,000 km in Pista and about 2,500 in the SF90.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jo_ker, bonneau13, of2worlds and 8 others like this.
  16. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sorry, this should read the SF90 has more power THAN you can use on the road. Anyway, they are both great cars. :)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. Rotti

Rotti Rookie

Feb 27, 2013
    Canberra
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Epic man. And your garage is fire btw. Thanks for the the great insight

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    #268 gzachary, Jan 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    I think I am one of the few who kept my Pista but sold my SF90. For me, the driver interface is too busy on the SF90. Optimal for me is simpler. And it can be. And Ferrari will get there. IPhone style interface removes connection. ferrari is all connection. The lack of tactile interface, switchknobs, so many icons. I don’t want to be distracted during driving in the hills by voice rec or too much on the dash taking up any any neurons that could be used for pushing the car. More than a few senior execs at Ferrari believe this strongly (I know because one of them told me). So I do believe they will fix it. It’s a period of transition.

Beyond those intrusions, the performance is incredible. Mind blowing incredible.

19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The 'KISS' Principle (KISS, an acronym for keep it simple, stupid, is a design principle noted by the US Navy in 1960) that seems to be lost on modern car builders of most all stripes.

20. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Agree on KISS for supercars, but carmakers feel they must now cater to a generation(s) of people who have grown up on digital/virtual/haptic/voice interfaces (there must be a better way to say that :confused:).

Caeruleus11, gzachary and of2worlds like this.
  21. MikeJF488

MikeJF488 Karting

Oct 6, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Mike joseph
    I only have 3 more months to wait until my SF90 Spider arrives, the perfect time to get one in the U.K. getting super excited now

Caeruleus11, gzachary, Napoli and 2 others like this.
  22. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    Opposite for me, Pista became pointless to me after my SF90 AF turned up. Prefer Pista Looks & Size only, Don’t miss that PITA Lithium battery at all.

j09333 likes this.
  23. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Same here. Only I got rid of pista spider before sf90 arrival. SF90 has better sound, presence, performance and fun factor.

JJ77 and of2worlds like this.
  24. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    Do you miss the pista. I find myself driving it less but I just like looking at it so I can’t bring myself to letting it go.

25. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    I don’t. I did not see a point of pista after 3000km.
    SF90 with AF feels more of sports car and the drive is more of occasion than v12s.
    Pista was never like this. Even 812gts is not special enough.

ok458, JJ77, Jo Sta7 and 1 other person like this.