458 - Oil recommendation for 458 that is tracked 1-2x a month and daily driven | FerrariChat

458 Oil recommendation for 458 that is tracked 1-2x a month and daily driven

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Nov 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I track at least once a month and sometimes twice a month in my 458. I then daily drive it every single day when I’m not tracking it. The car never sits unused for days/weeks like many Ferrari’s on here. It is driven everyday if the month. What is an appropriate oil for my use?

I find the OEM recommended oil foams and is not sufficient for my use of the car.

Appreciate any recommendations based on the use of my 458.

I was recommended Motul 300V 5W-40, but my understanding is this has to be changed often, every 2-3k miles, which is almost every 6 weeks for me and that is too much. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    So what issue have you been seeing with the OEM oil? I'd love to hear about it.

3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I DD mine as well, and though it doesn’t see the track (it’s a spider), I put substantial mileage on it and drive it in a spirited fashion. Car runs great to 9k.

I use Motul 5W-40 and change oil at 5-6k intervals. Mechanic who services it says it’s fine.

PS I assume you’re running Castrol racing brake fluid. I recently got a real lesson on how hot the brakes get (in an F8) from tracking a car.

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I use Royal Purple XPR 5w40 in the Pista. I use this for a number of reasons, but the main reason is that I have found it to foam the least. The OE oils Ferrari uses foam a lot, and that is a recipe for wear. On top of that, it lasts a long time, it has a very high shear strength for a 40w, and according to my logs it seems to run a wee bit cooler. Best oil I have ever used, road or track.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SeattleStew and Need4Spd like this.
  5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I use Redline, which also doesn’t foam as much, though that’s not saying much. Shell and Pennzoil spec’d by Ferrari foam a lot. Royal Purple is also a good choice.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

6. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Which viscosity of redline?

7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    5W-40.

8. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Always been a royal purple fan. I’m not a fan of the pennzoil, but have debated if it’s worth switching while under 7 year maintenance plan.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    For me it is. Oil is cheap and I don't want foam and poor oil pressure control.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Agreed, oil is cheap, especially compared to engine wear. I just have to put my car on a lift and do the job, that’s more where I struggle to get motivated lol. I’ve got most DIYers dream setup, so it really just comes down to doing it.

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I just give the guy at the dealer the bottles of oil I want them to use, same with brake fluid. Ferrari is okay with you choosing other fluids. Then the work is still done under the seven year deal but with the fluids of my choice.

12. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I was thinking that I’d do that for my next service. My annual should be done in April timeframe, so I’ll probably just wait until then and make the switch.

13. matt lane

matt lane Rookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Matthew Lane
    Somewhat of an update for those that care. Had the 458 last service in fall 2020 when I purchased it, the dealer oil service was Pakelo. Imported by Risi for North America - and very scant information about it online.

Just asked the dealer what the appropriate 458 spec oil was available to purchase from them, they said Pennzoil Platinum Euro. This is the same stuff you find at Canadian Tire or Walmart - it used to be Ferrari approved. I checked the physical container at the dealer parts counter, and it's no longer. Same packaging as you find retail.

Called Shell/Pennzoil technical directly and they confirmed the Platinum Euro is in fact no longer F-car spec/approved. The current approved oil is Pennzoil Platinum 'Racing'.

Dealer never heard of Platinum Racing.

So... back to my original plan Motul 5/40 and move on. A better oil and no more or less Ferrari-Un-Approved than what the dealer is selling LOL.

Cheers

Matt

14. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    I use the 5-40 Platinum Racing oil; The bottle does say "Ferrari Recommended" on the back label but the little horsey is not on the bottle. It's about $12 per quart. It seems to be pretty hard. I don't track my car so not sure if it foams or not.

15. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thank you. Have you used Motul 300V? How do you think Royal Purple XPR compares?

16. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    My apologies, I meant to say "It seems to be pretty hard to find". Good luck with your choice.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No I have not that much experience with Motul, so can't say whether it foams or not. From the info I can find, I would not choose the Motul simply because it needs to be changed much more frequently. I just get the Royal Purple changed every spring.

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Forget the Ferrari recommended stuff. I have never seen it not foam. Foaming is one of the worst things an oil can do, and it boggles the mind that Ferrari uses such crap. I use Royal Purple for the simple reason that I can see that it is very stable and gives great oil pressure control. I've seen it sloshed around in track cars and race boats, and it never gets aerated like many other oils do, especially Penzoil and Mobil 1. Only other oil I have seen perform as well is Driven.

Need4Spd and Rexcat458 like this.
  19. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I hate how manufacturers have taken to doing branded partnerships like this. Shell/pennzoil is certainly paying Ferrari for this recommendation, and partnership. Instead of using the best product for their cars, they use the brand that gives them the most dollars. I get it from a bottom line prospective, but as the consumer it’s annoying.

20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I’m usually wary of race-oriented products, because the environment is different from street. Street engines don’t get frequent tear downs for re-rings and fresh bearings. They sit a lot so have to handle acid degradation from water condensation. And the oil only gets changed every year, not after every race. But your record of use and recommendation says a lot.
    I looked on their site and they don’t have 5w-40. Only 5w-30 and 10w-40. Their street HPS oil also only comes in these weights. And their Oil Advisor app has no recommendations for Ferraris (probably worry about liability?). Their XPR says explicitly “non-foaming,” but that’s absent from their HPS points.

So….Which to choose?

https://www.royalpurple.com/product/xpr-extreme-performance-racing-oil/

21. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    A quick Google of royal purple XPR 5W-40 shows a couple reliable places to buy the oil. Carid being one of them. Your local auto parts store may also be able to order it if they sell other royal purple products.

22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat