Mondial 3.2 TDC on flywheel | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 TDC on flywheel

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MondialNeil, Nov 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MondialNeil

MondialNeil Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    Hello All

I need to know what is the TDC marker on the Mondial 3.2 flywheel as I am confused.

On my flywheel I have AF 5° and to the right a visible line |. About 1/4 inch to the right of this line is PM 14. Now I know PM 14 means TDC in Italian. There are though no lines in the middle of or to the left of the P to show TDC.

I have had the cams out of my car to replace the inner and outer cam seals on the bank closet to the boot/trunk.

The cams are now back in but I have problem or problems lol.

With the cams on their timing marks the teeth on the new belts do not exactly line with the cams wheels. I have to move one of the cams of its timing mark or both cams slightly of their marks to get the belt to jump onto the teeth of the cam wheel sprockets. This then means the cams are not exactly on their timing marks.
    If I then try to locate the belt on the bottom pulley the teeth on the belt do not line up with the teeth on the bottom pulley.
    I then have to rotate the crank slightly to get the belt to jump onto the bottom pulley. This means what I thought was TDC on the flywheel has moved off the pointer.
    After doing the above there is not enough slack in the belt on the tensioner side to slip the tensioner onto its studs, this is because I still have little slack, only a little on the long side of the belt.
    So at the moment I am thinking I am going mad.

Now one interesting point, if I line up the timing pointer on the flywheel with the line to the right of AF 5° everything goes on fine with the cams only slightly off their marks. The problem here is I don't think this is right as I think this line on the right of the AF 5° means 5 degrees before TDC.

I am lost and this is why I need to know definitively where TDC is as this could be my whole problem here. Or maybe someone can tell me what I should be doing if you can see what I am doing wrong.

Cheers

Neil.

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Do you have a tdc mark on the crank pulley as thats what i used when changing the belts. Otherwise there may be a paint mark when the belts were changed. Do you have those tin arrows as ref points on the right hand end of the cam boxes

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Are you sure that the mark isn't hiding in plain sight (or just really faint)? In this 328 US flywheel photo, the physical PM1-4 (TDC 1-4) mark is between the "PM" and the "14":

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Can you post a picture of the area showing what you have?

4. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    I remember going through this exercise, the mark was just impossible to see. I got a tiny LED on a flex stalk that allowed it to be seen through the hole, with a single AAA battery in a holder with a pocket clip. Anything else cast shadows. I recallr there is something blocking a clear view, don't recall what, though. I wiped yellow paint into the groove, which helped a lot. Good luck.

5. MondialNeil

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    Cheers for the replies.

Steve I do have the mark between the M and 1, thanks for the info.

Cambelt is now on, one of the cams is dead on its mark the other is slightly off but it will do.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Are you lining the cam up to the tin arrows ?

7. MondialNeil

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    Mike

Thanks, you gave me the key, I was using the marks on the cam and cam cap. I wondered what the metal bracket was with the 2 pointers on it.
    These 2 pointers do line up exactly with the marks on the cam which are on the on the outer before the outer seal.

8. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Deja vu for me :)

In the end I used a TDC locator and the marking on the flywheel didn't line up.. The Cams did line up. You can question if the flywheel is wrong, (Your post is the third exact phenomena that I see) but then there are more variables that can influence the line up as mentioned in the end of my post.

Flywheel timing markings | FerrariChat