Insane 911 market. | FerrariChat

Insane 911 market.

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by jjmalez, Nov 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Texas Forever likes this.
  2. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That buys a nice Turbo

Mang likes this.
  3. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    #3 andrew911, Nov 22, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    I saw that one- I followed it since had that same spec car - a black on black 1987 targa, light options just like this one, all stock (although I had an alpine CD player installed and upgraded the speakers, in the stock sizes).

I bought the car in 1995 for $22,500 with 30,000 miles and sold it in 1999 for $26,500 with 40,000 miles. The buyer of my car was a car guy with a mint restored old pagoda SL- I knew he would take care of it! I distinctly remember telling him that if he kept the car nice, it would likely rise in value since the then-new 996 was such a departure from the original design. I’ll admit back then I never thought a car like this would get that high 20 plus years later - heck, I was glad to have made $4k after owning the car for 4 years (although I never buy a car as an “investment”)

I’m glad I picked up my ‘89 cabriolet last winter as these prices are worse now! I thought I was buying at a peak but didn’t care as I had a bad itch to get back into a 3.2 cab (and she’s a factory turbo look- I had to get the specific car I now have when I found it)

The Air-cooled 911 is a pretty primitive car (part of the appeal), but the thing is there is no substitute, and they aren’t making them anymore. Nothing looks like them, drives like them, smells or sounds like them- the leather/interior and engine have a unique smell, the heat has a unique smell, the (weak) air conditioning has a unique smell. The air cooled cars (3.0 and 3.2 liter cars in particular) are durable, very well built and quite reliable. Add in if someone has a nostalgic soft spot for them (either had one back in the day or wanted one in the 1980’s) plus the devaluation of the dollar and still strong markets- its a perfect storm.

The air cooled 911 is not a car for everyone, but for those who “get it”, there is no other..

Bullfighter, jjmalez and cgt000 like this.
  4. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I like 911SC targas. Back a few years ago you could buy a nice driver for $12.5K to $13k all day long. Looked now and in Canada they are $50k CDN to $60k CDN. Market is crazy.

jjmalez likes this.
  5. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    No one knows or understands this market anymore.

I don’t think dealers even understand it…. “Just put the darn thing on Bat. That’ll be all she’ll ever bring”.

I believe dealers are afraid of under-pricing their stuff without putting it on Bat.

max930 likes this.
  6. Shopcat

Shopcat Karting

Nov 14, 2015
    NLA
    a few years ago? you mean like 15 years ago lol

Tarek307, Bullfighter and max930 like this.
  7. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
  8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Big money but that’s really low miles for an 87 Porsche, and the G50 gearbox is IMHO Porsche’s first modern one - worth more. Also, classic Targas are a hot item. European Collectibles here in Orange County had a nice 92 Targa at $135K and it sold immediately.

Also agree with Andrew911’s comments: There’s nothing today to replace an air-cooled 911. It’s kind of like Ferrari’s 812 and Testarossa: The 812 is objectively better in every way, but if you want a 512 TR it’s not a true replacement.

I recently bought (overpaid, probably) for a 93 964 coupe. I wanted old school analogue, but reliable. No touch screens or simulated engine noise. That made the air-cooled 911s the best option, and apparently there are too many checkbooks chasing relatively few cars.

Air-cooled 911s are the Rolex of the sports car world. There are more exotic options, but if you want to use it every day and have buyers queued up if you sell, it’s not a bad luxury purchase. They seem like ageless cars in an age of technological obsolescence.

(By the way, the 308/328 are in a similar spot, but Ferrari parts availability is a real problem. Porsche and Mercedes have this mastered.)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jjmalez likes this.
  9. GG Allin

GG Allin Karting

Nov 11, 2007
    Glad I got mine when I did. It's a keeper.

Island Time likes this.
  10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  11. Island Time

Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    Nice car.

I’d like to have a 993 Targa. But, I’m priced out.

Glad I’ve owned most of the 911’s I’ve ever wanted to own during my lifetime. I was fortunate to have lived while I could afford them) :)

Pawilly, max930 and Texas Forever like this.
  12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Great pictures go a long way on BaT. Funny how few understand this.

jjmalez likes this.
  13. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Absolutely. Plus it looks properly detailed. It might be a long wait for another '87 this nice, even if black is pretty common.

Long term the buyer should be fine in terms of investment, although the odometer is low enough that he/she might be reluctant to drive it much.

14. Cotton

Cotton Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2008
    TN
    I have an 88 911 coupe, Commemorative edition, with 23k original miles. I bought it from the original owner and have toyed with the idea of selling it because I have two other 80s 911s. I alway change my mind because it’s so nice, but these prices are hard to say no to.

15. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Whats incredible to me is that the ‘89 speedsters aren’t 3-400k yet. Thinking back a decade a targa like the one above would have been 1/4 or maybe 1/3 the price of a good low miles speedster, and yet now the multiple is nowhere near that. To me that signals a bargain for the limited (and way cooler) car. Of course I’m biased as I own a red/tan 89 but the delta still doesn’t make any sense to me.

Example. No affiliation with seller: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-porsche-speedster-2/

16. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    One factor could be that '89 Speedsters were almost all bought and put away as investments. Targas weren't. I remember seeing higher mileage 911 Targa G50s back in the early '90s. People drove them every day.

JAM1 likes this.
  17. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    The best thing about these air cooled 911's is you really can drive most of them daily, especially the 993, my daily driver is a 97' 911 C2S wide body, it is like driving a modern car but with soul..hard to beat an air cooled..my F-cars are fun and an experience every time i drive them, but the 993 is good at "everything" all the time!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

VAF84, randkin, Camelot and 4 others like this.
  18. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Glad some are still daily driving these ac 911s. I traded a newer dd 911 for a 3.2 Targa two weeks after 2020 lockdown. It was my street driver (just like back in 90s/00s) until recently. Sold on BaT a few weeks ago. Can’t complain as result covered original acquisition cost plus more. Getting back into racing an air-cooled 911.

Indeed, ac 911s have fortunately been good to me all throughout my car hobby. A model that keeps on giving. Lol.

zygomatic likes this.
  19. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Island Time likes this.
  20. Island Time

Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    VAF84 likes this.
  21. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Oengus, jjmalez, JAM1 and 1 other person like this.
  22. Island Time

Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    #22 Island Time, Dec 4, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    In the link above, Tim commented that was a 200k car. He underestimated it by 22k. Soon, you’ll be seeing his cars on Bat.

Oengus likes this.
  23. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

24. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

25. Island Time

Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN