599 Tire Pressure Sensor Module | FerrariChat

599 Tire Pressure Sensor Module

Discussion in '612/599' started by Vito, Nov 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Recently I had the battery go dead oh my 2008 599. This was odd as it is always connected to the battery conditioner and had only been off the conditioner for about 3 hours following a 30 minute drive. Got the car home thanks to AAA and it's now at the dealer. Had dealer pickup the car and check it the old fashioned way - with power on start pulling fuses until you see the power draw drop on your multimeter. Dealer reports that it is not uncommon for these tire pressure sensor modules to fail and then draw power when key is off. Just a heads up to other 599 owners - something to be alert to.

brogenville and flash32 like this.
  2. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Hi Vito,
    What trickle charger are you using?
    In the past I have found the CTEK MXS 5.0 was absolutely fine until a similar occurrence to yours.
    Bob Houghton Ferrari here in the UK told me that they often find the MXS 5.0 isn’t man enough for the job. Since purchasing the MXS 10.0 I have had no problems.
    Good luck!

3. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    I'll let you know the CTEK model # when the car comes back from service as it's in the trunk. I also have the original Ferrari battery conditioner as well but use the CTEK more often.

599_GTO likes this.
  4. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Just speculating here, but on my 2008 the plug where you connect the battery charger has another connector behind the wall before the battery. On my car that connector had failed not allowing the battery to recharge. So we got rid of it and the pigtail that you connect the charger to now runs directly into the battery which solved my problem.

5. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Thanks for the comment. I was getting a full charge on the battery via the charger. It was a matter of it discharging in a short period of time.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  6. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    I have the CTEK MXS 5.0. Is the 10.0 too powerful though?

7. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Hi Vito,
    I think these are smart chargers so that isn’t a problem.
    I am so delighted with the MXS 10 and am pleased it solved a problem I just couldn’t get my head around. I killed 3 batteries over a period with the MXS 5 just nit being capable, but couldn’t find a drain at the same time so it was perplexing.
    Touch wood all is now good!

8. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    At this point I think I've solved the problem that turned out to be two-fold. First there was the bad tire pressure sensor module that the dealer found. When the car came home, I attached the CTEK MXS 5.0 charger. However, after 2 two weeks the battery was totally flat. The CTEK unit's lights indicated that it was connected properly and had brought the battery to full charge. However, when a multimeter was attached to the unit the output was zero volts. Attached the original Ferrari battery conditioner (a re-branded CTEK unit) and overnight the battery was a full power, Ran the car then parked it overnight without the tender attached. The car started fine the next day after more than 24 hours without the tender. My conclusion is that there were two issues here - the bad module and the bad CTEK unit. Now I am trying to get the CTEK replaced under warranty as it is only 2 years old.

9. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Vito, this sounds exactly like my experience.... the CTEK MXS 5.0 indicated it couldn’t find a battery. However as this happened to 2 MXS 5.0’s consecutively over a period of time and not one, I really think a higher rated charger is the solution. Glad you have the TPMS issues sorted. Happy New Year!

10. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    I've sent the unit back to CTEK as it is still under warranty. The person I spoke with indicated that they'd check it out and then either repair or replace as needed.

599_GTO likes this.
  11. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    CTEK unit returned from testing and it was found to be fine. However, should I be using the AGM setting when charging the 599?

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That depends on what battery you have in the car.

13. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.
    Vito, I don’t think there IS a problem with the MXS 5.0; there wasn’t with mine. It just can’t do the job of maintaining a sufficient charge in a 612 in my experience. I have my same MXS 5.0 attached to my Jaguar XJ now and it works fine for that car. The 612 simply requires more oomph. That’s my conclusion and why I went for the MXS 10.0 and now haven’t looked back.

14. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Isn't the MXS 10 a 220V unit?

15. 599_GTO

599_GTO Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    J.S.