Opinions on Leather headliner as an option for F8..? | FerrariChat

Opinions on Leather headliner as an option for F8..?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Cesarito17, Nov 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cesarito17

Cesarito17 Karting

Sep 27, 2021
    Full Name:
    Cesar
    Considering adding it as a last minute option, what are your opinions on the leather headliners for the F8 configuration..?

Although I understand some prefer its looks, is there a reason why leather headliners are so rarely seen on cars - including luxury models.

Do they offer good heat and sound insulation? Being more heavy than the standard microfiber, do they have a greater tendency to sag with time?

Thanks...

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I love the look and the enhanced aroma of Ferrari leather. I ordered it on my 488, and loved it; the special stitching really pops. I chose Alcantara for my F8 just to mix things up a bit. The standard headliner doesn't suit my eye.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I’m sure @MANDALAY will jump on this one! I ordered the headliner and visors in leather for the looks, smell and feel.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Viperjoe, RoadRonin and MANDALAY like this.
  4. MARCOS FIGUEROA

Oct 23, 2019
    Florida
    Full Name:
    marcos figueroa
  5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I can’t believe that even today on th SF90 and 296 GTB they have leather options on roof headlining

In my opinion the very first option to tick is leather roof lining

The standard material is horrible

6. Hunter911

Hunter911 Karting

Mar 8, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I have it on my F8, I'd say money well spent.

ScottS and Viperjoe like this.
  7. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    100% Yes, get the leather headliner… I have it and just love the look, it really compliments the interior. I also have the leather visors and the perforated leather speaker covers.

The only bit I don’t have that I wish I did is the leather on the back parcel shelf/wall.

Cheers!

Viperjoe likes this.
  8. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I need to dip back into those old threads that depict the best method of removing the safety labels on the visors. They kill the look.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    I saw a 458 once with a fabric headliner and I couldn’t believe my eyes, absolutely horrible that these things don’t come standard with a leather headliner. Now the question is, how common is it for these fabric headliners?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MANDALAY likes this.
  10. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Optioned leather for the F8 spider headliner after taking a closer look at the fabric headliner in the car. Wasn't a fan of it being a complete different material than everything else in the interior

MANDALAY likes this.
  11. halolo

halolo Rookie

Nov 17, 2020
    Are visors and speakers separate options or included with the headliner?

12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The issue is that the standard headliner is really terrible (I know, that's what I have on my car - I'm glad I've normally no reason to look at the roof). On most cars one can put up with a standard, unnoticed headliner, but the leather headliner is the only way to avoid the horrible standard fabric on a Ferrari.

MANDALAY likes this.
  13. Cesarito17

Cesarito17 Karting

Sep 27, 2021
    Full Name:
    Cesar
    No s
    Is there contrast stitching on the leather rear shelf option?

14. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

First thing I did on my 488, and plan to do on my F8. I used an exacto knife and extreme caution. Work the knife under the treads and cut in an outward direction (away from the visor). Once you can get a finger between the label and the visor, pull the label to expose the threads at which point cutting them becomes far easier. Tiny stitch holes will be slightly visible but the continued use of leather conditioner will shrink the hole size. Dramatic improvement; do it.

Hunter911 and AD211 like this.
  15. MARCOS FIGUEROA

Oct 23, 2019
    Florida
    Full Name:
    marcos figueroa
    No stitching on the leather rear shelf. Just smooth leather which I prefer over the carpet. It finishes the rear panel off well.

MANDALAY and Cesarito17 like this.
  16. Cesarito17

Cesarito17 Karting

Sep 27, 2021
    Full Name:
    Cesar
    Was this picture taken with flash ?

17. Dapuma

Dapuma Rookie

Sep 22, 2021
    can anyone put a picture of the speaker cover in leather...that seems like an odd choice and would it effect sound quality ? Leather is going to soak up sound versus reverberate it

18. Level7

Level7 Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    PA
    Full Name:
    Level7
    Viperjoe and Cesarito17 like this.
  19. Cesarito17

Cesarito17 Karting

Sep 27, 2021
    Full Name:
    Cesar
    Level7, the mild shine I see on the leather, does it occur as a consequence of the camera flash or does sun light always finds its way to the headliner creating a constant shine while not under a roof? Thanks.!! Btw, very very nice color combination!

20. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I have had it on all my cars and its a must option for me. The look and the smell are the main reasons.

MANDALAY likes this.
  21. Level7

Level7 Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    PA
    Full Name:
    Level7
    It is do more to my poor photographic abilities - the car is in the garage without great lighting. I am happy to provide better and more detailed photos - even out doors if you want. Also, I noticed the leather headliner and rear shelf a lot during my first few days of ownership. Now that I have had the car for a few months, I rarely look behind the seats and do not notice the roof headliner. I have not noticed any particular glare or shine coming from the headliner and would absolutely pick the same two options if I was ordering another Ferrari. I think that these two particular options really finish the interior of the car.

Cesarito17 likes this.
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    We’ll, I guess I’m the odd man out here. Didn’t order it on the 458,488 nor the F8.
    I usually have the top down since they were all Spiders. So it doesn’t really to me.
    Whatever. Spend your money as you see fit. But I certainly wouldn’t lose any sleep over it.
    We all probably obsess over different things. Leather headliner.:rolleyes:

BillHartman67 and 9650max like this.
  23. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

Upon closer inspection, the speaker grids are not covered in perforated leather, my bad… The window sticker lists “interior grids in leather *colour*… The salesman mentioned that it was leather when I bought it and I never looked at it closely. Doh!!!

Whatever they are, they are not leather but some other material that’s somewhat close in colour to the beige leather seats. So, I will now retire to my F-joy car park and remove and replace the rear diffuser 10 times for my misstatement… :-o

Here’s a photo anyway…

Cheers!

24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

No not on the rear shelf.

At the end of the day its what you want.

The OEM stuff ISNT befitting a car so expensive is my point. When you tick the roof option you also get the A pillar and sunvisors. On my 488 GTB I also ticked leather behind the seat ( electric seats ) because even there its not leather . Go figure that one out.

I'm a lover of leather and also have leather steering wheel but have the LED's. Not may have done this.

What I know is the look of leather everywhere does look good and after 3 years the smell of leather on every entry to my car is a welcome aroma.

FYIW I would dare say many would tick the option if they only knew. I didn't but was appreciative to my salesman pointing it out along with the electrochromatic mirrors.

25. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

With the head liner

halolo likes this.