How Tesla's $25,000 Model 2 will blunt competition (anyone agree?) | FerrariChat

How Tesla's $25,000 Model 2 will blunt competition (anyone agree?)

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bitzman, Nov 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    :
    The Game Changer The Tesla Model 2

The Model 2 is not a car. Officially there’s no Model 2.

But it is the one car Tesla needs most to blunt the European, Chinese and Big Three efforts at electric cars.

Tesla had a lot of irons in the fire-- the Semi,the Cybertruck, the Roadster but paramount should be the yet-to-be-named USD 25,000 Tesla.

It is needed because it will likely underprice all the competition (except Chinese) and start a whole new legion of Tesla fans. Right now Teslas are upper middle class cars but offering one at $25,000 could be a game changer.

Styling drawings from various sources indicate a car that is not much more than a grille-lees Toyota Yaris. It is more of a challenge to design a low price car with style than a mid-price or high price car.

It will be a compact hatchback to challenge the VW ID.3 (not in the US yet) and Nissan Leaf.The big selling points will be price, and then range. If Tesla can crack, say, 400 miles on range, that alone will be the reason to buy it.The ID 3 58 kWh battery produces a 261-mile range, while the 77 kWh is most impressive with a 341-mile range on a single charge.

Besides blunting the competition. Tesla wants the $25,000 car to provide a lower first step for those who want to start climbing the Tesla staircase.

Autonomous driving the Magic Key
    Tesla is constantly inferring that they have the Magic Key to Tesla dominating the economy car sector--
    autonomous driving. Right now it's not legal to have fully autonomous cars in the US. Likely Tesla will design the smallest Tesla to be fully autonomous , even to the point of a disappearing steering wheel, accelerator pedal and brake but until a case goes to the Supreme Court to decide who's at fault if an autonomous car has an accident (with no "driver" then it might be decided the fault lies with the car builder) Tesla can't press the button at HQ that allows the car to run fully autonomously.

Legacy automakers, (using the now derogatory phrase to describe traditional) are designing autonomous driving concept cars with retracting pedals and steering. Tesla is thinking ahead and considering introducing their lowest priced model with no pedals and steering wheel.
    One way Tesla can have it both ways is to play it safe by building different models for different countries--in countries that require a steering wheel and pedals, so be it but if Tesla can find one country--just one --that allows full autonomy they could make it especially attractive to buy that model.
    Then, when the year's accident statistics are compiled in that country and the full autonomous Teslas are proven far and away safer than human piloted cars, more countries can adopt the same laws and
    Tesla can offer what they call "a cleared-out cockpit."

When future business success books are written including Tesla, it will be seen that one secret of Tesla success was to always seek to avoid the Detroit way of out-sourcing parts to far off lands. The Big Three has had to cut down available output because of no chips. Tesla will be able to make the Model 2 successfully in China by having 100% of the parts made there.
    This is called "localization." something Detroit gave up on long ago, and it's hurting them now.

If Tesla can stick to that $25,000 price and make the car in high volumes, simultaneously in four factories worldwide, then all the other automakers don't stand a chance as Tesla's German factory alone can produce mote than all 14 of BMW's plants put together

Plus Tesla already innovated by selling cars online and having few showrooms. They may innovate new ways of financing, so that they can throw out the old ways used by legacy automakers. One idea for instance, is for Tesla owners signed up to rent out their cars to online driving services while they are not using the car. Let's say you work in an office, while your car sits in the parking lot for 8 hours. But if it could be rented out several times during the day, you might make enough in one to pay a month's car payment similar to Air B & B home rentals. I wouldn't rent my personal car out (though I did rent out my Ferrari to a movie star Elke Sommer for a commercial once) but I'm Old Skool. Maybe modern day owners think of their car as more of an appliance. Why not let someone else use your refrigerator or toaster while you're at work?
    And so it is. The World Awaits your move, Elon. I think on this entry level car, you need more distinctive styling, but range and price will be the Be All End All factors that will determine whether Teslas make it in the middle class

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. flachbau

flachbau Rookie

Dec 10, 2007
    How long will the battery last? When it goes this is a paper weight.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  3. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Color me skeptical they can deliver a car with decent features and any realistic range for $25k. I give them credit for getting as far as they have, and the cars are impressive, but $25k doesnt buy much new car these days.