Oh Boy - Gummed up brake fluid clogging stuff everywhere... (360) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Oh Boy - Gummed up brake fluid clogging stuff everywhere... (360)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Wayne 962, Nov 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    No worries, I have a 2,500 sq-ft "attic" where all the old parts go into storage, only to be touched by the person who has to go through it when I'm no longer around! I don't envy that job, as I am pretty good at labeling, but not super-perfect.

Can you please share what you used to clean this stuff out? Take a look at my next post with the photos, this stuff is no longer "gel", it's become some type of hard crystalline sugar-type substance that has contaminated every part of the system (every part I've taken off so far - see next post).

Thanks,

-Wayne

2. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Okay, here's the big post. YIKES - this problem is as bad as I feared. The "gel" has crystalized and contaminated every corner of the brake system. It's in the reservoir, in the master cylinder, in the calipers, in the lines, everywhere. Bad news. Every component will have to come out and be cleaned. I'm not sure what to do about the ABS valve block - those are almost definitely contaminated with crap.

So, this stuff is not really gel - it's hard and solidified, like plaque on your teeth. I have a video I uploaded here to show the consistency and how hard it is:

Based upon what I've found here, I don't think that I can recommend to anyone to just "flush and go" - it seems as if a complete teardown and careful flush of the entire system is necessary to remove all of this crap.

Photos...

-Wayne
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JL350 likes this.
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Someone must have put something other than brake fluid in there ..right ..that looks like a chemical reaction of two fluids ..not old brake fluid ..

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

4. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Normally, I would agree, but this seems to be a very common theme with the 360, which leads one to believe that there was an issue either with the brake fluid or the plastic in the reservoir.

I did check the records for this car, and the brake fluid was changed many times over the past 20 years (at least four times). The last time it was replaced was at the dealer in 2014, about seven years ago. I know that Ferrari recommends that the fluid be changed at least once a year, which I believe is the only main stream manufacturer to recommend that. Curious...

-Wayne

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I wonder if a place like Blackstone could analyze it..see what exactly happened

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

6. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
  7. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    When I clean the reservoir, I use a lot of very hot water and a degreaser that is proprietary only because one guy makes it in his garage. I am sure Simple Green or something like it will work.
    The hot water is what gets it done in my opinion. I have a heated sonic cleaner that has been useful on some parts as well. I have had to replace one crossover tube on a caliper. I just could not get it to open up. I cut it open after the new one arrived and it had a hard crystal lodged in the tube.

I will say again, this has been an issue since 360s were new. I have no solid reason. I will say I have seen less and less of this as the cars have had non dealer service. This is not a knock on dealership work. I believe it was the fluid Ferrari was having the dealers use. Not a mix of fluid, just the original fluid was bad stuff. As it has been removed and replaced with better fluid, the issue is no longer common. It has been over 20 years now.
    I feel old now, 360s are antique.

JL350 likes this.
  8. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    McLaren and Aston Martin also have yearly brake fluid changes on their maintenance schedules.

9. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Thanks for the insight. Once I have the rest of the system apart, I will make some tests on the leftover bits that I dug out of there. So far, everything cleared out of the right front caliper, so I'm optimistic about the other ones (although all four were apparently clogged on the outside).

My chief concern is still the ABS block. I bought a used one for a BOSCH 5.3 system on eBay for $20 that I will open up and take a look at. I'm not sure how this particular unit looks on the inside - someone on this forum somewhere said that Ferrari had some cover fix for the early valve blocks that required them to open the things up and reassemble them. So, if that's possible, I will do that. Buying a used one is a crapshoot too, with this being a known 360 problem. Buying a new one from Ferrari is $6K (also not a good option). It would appear that the valve blocks for all of the BOSCH 5.3 ABS systems are very similar if not the same (someone on this forum also made that statement), so buying a cheaper new one for an Audi A4 or something similar may work well.

In the meantime, I'm going to continue working on the calipers, one at a time...

-Wayne

f355spider likes this.
  10. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Wayne,
    I haven't had any ABS issues while doing the clean up. I have not had an ABS unit apart either. I would test the flow through before taking anything apart. You may be able to just flush it out.

tbakowsky likes this.
  11. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Okay, I'm still working on this. Now I'm on to the ABS module. The entire system has been gummed up with this crap, so I'm assuming that it's also in the ABS system. Bad news - the ABS block doesn't seem to be available any more. I have two options:

1- Take the unit out and flush it very well. I can use some magnets to activate the valves manually and just try to flush it out with some brake fluid.

2- Buy a different, new, BOSCH 5.3 ABS control block from another car and swap it in. Something like this is very similar, and also has "050" marked on the block, which makes me think/wonder that it's the same block. I've read that all the blocks are the same except for the writing / markings on the inlets/outlets, but I'm not 100% sure.

This one is nearly identical: https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-02-Audi-A4-A6-VW-Passat-Anti-Lock-Brake-ABS-Pump-Control-Module-0273004358-/234225420871?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l44720.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Thoughts?

-Wayne

12. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    #37 Wayne 962, Sep 8, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    No thoughts? Attached are some photos of the current Ferrari ABS module I took out of the car yesterday. Part number 168828. No longer available. My Ferrari dealer said he checked inventory worldwide.

You can see the crap accumulating in the the holes where the lines went into the unit. Grrr. I can flush the whole unit with fresh fluid using a fish tank pump while manually operating the valves with a powerful magnet (removed from an old hard drive), but I'll never be assured that it will be clean on the inside. Same deal for the brake lines too, but that's a different story for a different day.

Options:

1- Clean out the existing unit

2- Buy a used unit on eBay

3- Buy a new Audi unit on eBay and swap out the ABS 5.3 valve block.

There are a few Audi units available in Europe for relatively cheap ($250 or so). I think I'm going to buy one of those and bring it over here and compare it bit-by-bit to the existing Ferrari unit. Again, I've read that the ABS 5.3 blocks are all the same except for the writing / printing on the back of the block, but I have not been able to find anyone who can confirm that. They certainly look exactly the same. The part number on the motors are the same. In this case, I'm not sure what would be different - springs in the valves? That doesn't seem to make sense to me.

-Wayne

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    And here is the Audi part that I found. I believe that the ABS units are marked with a version number of the block inside, this one (and the Ferrari one) are both 050, and have all of the holes and press pins in the same exact place.

For future reference, I believe that 8E0614111B and 8E0614111E seem very similar to the Ferrari unit. The unit shown here is listed as "8E0614111AP 8E0614111AR Audi A6 C5 Neu Orig ABS Hydraulikblock Steuergerät (001)"

-Wayne
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    I ordered one of those similar looking ones on eBay - I will take it apart and compare it closely to the Ferrari one when it gets here and post photos. In the meantime, I bought a few cheap aquarium pumps on Amazon, and I'm going to use them to cycle through the fluid.

-Wayne
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Wayne you may want to read this thread over on the Porsche blog. While this is not the issue you are having with the fluid it explores the valve body and how it is used on many other makes. Us guys with early 996TT cars are having problems with a leaking fitting that was removed in later production versions of the valve body. Hey it's Porsche, right in your weelhouse.
    https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/1302019-leaking-abs-pump-replacement.html

16. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    That's a good tip. I checked out those threads. Seems like they are going the same route that I am looking at, although due to a different reason (the aluminum valve block apparently has a check valve that starts leaking after many years of aggressive driving).

So, I bought an aquarium pump and hooked it up to the block to flow fluid through the pump. The concept works - there's white crap coming out of the block. But I now need to improve my design. I need to add a more powerful pump, and also add a filter. I've got one ordered - it will be here in a day or two. In the meantime, here are some photos of my setup.

-Wayne
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

f355spider likes this.
  17. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    I think I'd just get a large fresh fluid container and pump it through to waste considering it all sacrificial rather than try to recycle it. That and a yes a powerful pump. Great work by the way! Maybe just rig a power bleeder somehow?

18. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    I'm going to get a filter and run it through that and let it run for a few hours. Dilution is the solution to pollution! I would need gallons of brake fluid if I didn't filter and cycle it. I've got some cheapie fuel filters I'm going to use...

-Wayne

f355spider likes this.
  19. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The aquarium pump is normally not meant to deliver high pressure. Maybe that an old-school windshield pump, or better a RC pump (made for ethanol) would work better?

20. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    I ordered a $25 pump on Amazon that is used to remove oil from boat engines. I should be able to vary the pressure using my variable DC power supply. It's a 30-watt pump, which should probably succeed in making a huge mess in my garage when one of the tubes is not fastened tight enough!

-Wayne

21. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
  22. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I would just use a sonic cleaner. I have a sonic cleaner that is large enough for a caliper or the ABS unit. Hot water will break down the gel goo. I use this method for the reservoir many times. I have not had to get into the ABS unit before. Flushing on the car has always worked for me and the ABS is functions when done.
    I have also left the gel sitting and after a day or two in the air, it also breaks down and becomes more of a liquid. The white flakes and chunks don't break down but they flush more easily than the goo. I do have mild degreaser mixed with water in my sonic cleaner but straight water works very well with brake fluid to clean it away.
    On a side note, I would totally try swapping a like part. Going forward, we are going to have to come up with creative solutions as these parts are just not there any more.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    No this is not a mixing issue this is an extremely common issue with the original Shell fluid once it becomes moisture contaminated. Shops that see a lot of Ferrari work have seen this for 20+ years. On severe cases I have had to disassemble the ABS unit and remove the Electronics and boil the valve block in hot water and then reassembly.

Island Guy, f355spider and of2worlds like this.
  24. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Ferrari Tech - Those are some great suggestions. I'm very wary of using an ultrasonic cleaner with the ABS block, as I'm not sure how the passages are closed and opened, and I might actually trap a whole bunch of water in there. I have that used block from an Audi I bought for $20 just to see what it looked like - I think I will drill it out and cut it open and post photos. I don't think anyone has done that on the web yet - there's nothing out there!

In the meantime, the new AL ABS block is on its way here from Germany. Depending upon how it compares to the Ferrari unit, I may use that one. But in the meantime, I will continue to clean this one out.

windsock - boil the ABS block? Hmm, does that work? How do you know you got all of the water out? That's my biggest concern on something like this - I don't think it would be possible to get all of the water out of the unit once it's been cleaned.

I'll keep everyone posted on the valve block flush. The fact that white crap debris already came out is both a good sign and a bad sign (confirmation of the contamination that I already knew was in there!). The plan would be to run the fluid through at pressure while turning the valves on and off. I wish I knew what the actual configuration of the valves and passages actually looked like though.

-Wayne

25. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    So, I got a more powerful pump tonight, but it's mostly a fluid flow pump, so it didn't like the high pressure put out by the block. That, or the block is clogged. I ran the pump through it for quite some time tonight. I'm hoping the Audi part that is coming is a close match for the block, as I think I would rather go that route. I had to dig the crap out of the calipers tonight, which leads me to believe that it's inside the ABS block and could cause problems in the future. The good news is that all of the valves appear to open and close (you can hear them moving when a magnet is put close to them).

Got three calipers cleaned and assembled, so making progress on that. Like the transmission heat exchanger, this repair is approaching 100 hours or so.

-Wayne

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

EastMemphis likes this.