NC Roads really are terrible... | FerrariChat

NC Roads really are terrible...

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by Ricambi America, Feb 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

For the amount of money I spend in North Carolina taxes, this is disgraceful:

(From the Triad Business Journal online -- 10 Feb 04)

LATEST NEWS
    2:55 PM EST Tuesday

Report: N.C. roads among worst in country
    ---------------------------------------------------------

North Carolina's state-maintained highways rank among the worst in the nation in pavement condition and congestion, says a study by David Hartgen, professor of transportation studies at UNC-Charlotte.

Hartgen's latest annual report, which examines trends in highway data from 1984 to 2002, determined that North Carolina ranks 45th in the nation in highway performance and 36th in the cost-effectiveness of its state-maintained road system.

North Carolina's overall ranking in 2002 was 36th; in 2001, the state ranked 20th.

The state's transportation problems are noticeable in rural pavement conditions and traffic congestion on urban interstates. Only three states -- California, Maryland and Minnesota -- have a higher percentage of congested urban interstates.

North Carolina ranked 42nd in the condition of urban interstates, 44th in rural interstate condition and 45th in the condition of rural primary roads.

The study was based on state data submitted to the federal government for 2002, the latest year available.

North Carolina has the second-largest, state-maintained road system in the country. Its per-mile expenditures historically have lagged other states. In 2002, the state spent $7,228 per mile to maintain roads. The national average is $16,478.

2. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    This pretty much sums it all up! I know our roads are horrible potholes galore! Look out if you have low profile tires! Make sure you have enough PSI to keep from bending a rim.

solana_sc likes this.
  3. 360 Spyder

360 Spyder Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Near the Cows....
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I know the 2 main roads which lead to my house have been under construction for 3 years now and both are 2 years behind schedule.

My wife is from Delaware and they have very good roads there. Every time we have been to visit, they are repaving them.

4. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Good news. Might slow down the Carpetbaggers moving here.

5. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    Talk about reviving an old thread lol.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

GatedShiftFcar, nicholasn and AD211 like this.
  6. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I really feel sorry for any of our members that live in the North Carolina large cities. A ton of northern and California people moving here. Just a matter of time until you hear "well where I come from..........". No thanks, I enjoy where I live (for now). When it gets bad (high taxes, bad policies etc) it will be time to move to Montana - and I promise never to say "Well where I come from"!!!!

If you want bad roads and congestion - go to Northern New Jersey. But the reality is that anywhere that has snow and ice will have a challenge keeping the roads in good shape.

7. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I lived in Chapel Hill 10 years and have been in Raleigh since 2005. Rush hour on the interstates is a bunch of cars going 75 miles an hour in the same direction. I rarely see a pothole.

8. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Tegethoff likes this.
  9. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    That’s because all the politicians are out there and keep the money for roads out there.
    Charlotte is a **** show these days.

10. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Thanks for the sentiment. Much appreciated. It indeed is going down the toilet.

11. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I lived in NC for 12 years.

The roads and congestion isn’t even 1% as bad as in the DC, Maryland, Northern VA area.

Everyone thinks their roads are bad and they have a lot of congestion. You haven’t seen anything until you try to go into DC or leave DC at rush hour. Only place worse is LA.

North Carolina is childs play compared to other parts of the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. solana_sc

solana_sc Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 13, 2009
    SC, USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Oliver
    You might not believe how the roads are in South Carolina any more. When I moved down here from Ohio in 2003, it was a relief to rarely have to avoid potholes. Now it's like NYC in the 90's. Don't ask how long construction projects take, either!

13. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    are you guys really serious about your roads?

I was in N. Myrtle Beach & M/B last week coming down from Raleigh, N/C and we were stunned as to the great roads.

It just stood out how good the roads were.

If you want to see bad roads come to California. They are horrible

A friend was stopped on a local freeway here by a CHP for weaving. CHP was sure he was a DUI. He was weaving to avoid the ruts!

I damaged a 19" rim on one of my cars.

We are paying $5.00/gallon for 91, and as of 7/1 an extra $0.25 per gallon was added to improve the rods.

What a joke. No one seems responsible for their condition either.

I did not see any bad roads where I was driving in N/C or S/C.

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    Come to the Upstate and you’ll see some bad roads.

15. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    where upstate?

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    NC roads completely suck! That’s right, the hype is nothing but lies, tail of the dragon blows...y’all thinking of coming here to drive should think twice about it. Go somewhere else instead!

17. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Got some bad news….less than 1 mike of TOD is actually in NC (TN gets the other 10). But you guys get bonus points for Rattler, Back of the Dragon, BRP and the Snake, among others.

If you want bad roads, head south to SC.

18. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    The “Upstate” consists of the Greenville-Spartanburg area.

19. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    We bought a house not too far off a new interstate in the Triad a few years ago - perfectly smooth, was like a personal highway for the first few months it opened. Then they repaved our stretch a few months later. Then within the next year, they tore up each lane, but not the shoulders, and repaved again. While the lanes are smooth, they sit at a different height than the shoulders and have rough transitions unto the bridges. Lol

There's one exit where for some reason, we thought sound at the time, they brought in a lot of fill and used earth movers and build up one of the sections inside an on-ramp. Then there must have been some some concern about erosion on the other side of the same onramp, but in no way related, so they took the dirt they had brought in the year prior and used it to build up the side of that slope. Then a little later they moved the dirt around again in the original area between the ramp and the highway. Imagine what could've been done with all that money.

All that said though, I spent 8 years running from NC and trying to live anywhere else, and eventually realized how good it is here

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. rampante550

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    So follow-up here - now on the same exit, the area where they've added, removed, and shifted around fill, they've now planted dozens of trees and laid out tons of mulch. It's barely been a month and grass is already popping through the mulch and I would expect half the trees to die ultimately bc we haven't been getting enough rain.

Also, on about a 5 mile stretch, they neglected to trim under the center guardrail for quite some time. Instead of spraying or just sending a bigger team to get it back under control, they instead elected to tear it up and lay down fresh sod directly under the guard rail... but, when they started laying out pallets of sod all along the highway, someone realized they hadn't cut the regular grass yet, so they had to remove the pallets, then cut, then put the pallets back down, then scrape the existing plants from under, and then lay down the sod.

To add the chef's kiss to it all - they only did it on one side of the guardrail, so you can barely even tell they did anything. Amazing.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    You can’t fix stupid…..
    Glad my tax dollars are going to Highway Sod, WTF

22. rampante550

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    Ok, so I'd like to let this go, but it keeps getting better:
    • They finally put the sod on the other side of the guardrail, although it looks further off center than the first half, so the weed problem around the divider remains
      • They put the sod down during a period where we've had weeks without very little rain, so they started sending out these water tanks to flood the sod (pic below) - pretty sure this is futile and this grass is now toast (and will be taken over by weeds again, soon)
    • On my first-mentioned exit, where they've moved the mounds of dirt on and off it a few times, they've now planted probably over a hundred trees b/t the four sections and laid many tons of mulch as well
      • Pretty sure the sun and lack of rain will probably kill at least half the trees, since they can't water them
      • Weeds are already popping through the much
    The long grass mix that was occasionally mowed looked natural and good, but I suspect we're two months away from a bunch of dead trees and tired mulch
    Image Unavailable, Please Login