What is the best way to sell your Ferrari? | FerrariChat

What is the best way to sell your Ferrari?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Chuck Beaver, Nov 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chuck Beaver

Chuck Beaver Rookie

Aug 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chuck Beaver
    I've got a 2003 silver 360 Modena Spider, and it's time to sell it.

What is the current wisdom on the best way and place to sell it? Here on the "Sell" listings? Consignment with a dealer? Trade-in?

So many factors, given the used car market right now...

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Sell it to an enthusiast on Fchat.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    bring a trailer

Chuck Beaver likes this.
  4. Chuck Beaver

Chuck Beaver Rookie

Aug 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chuck Beaver
    Good call. Thanks!! Especially since I loved on it to the tune of $21K in refurb

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yeah, lots of us can’t resist a good Ferrari. Sometimes we own several at a time. The bushmobile of fchater Dennis, a particularly fine 348tb, was sold to fchater copterjohn. I found out it was for sale and fchater Cameron is it’s current caretaker and I have been it’s mechanic. It’s the only Ferrari I maintain that I don’t own. If Cameron ever puts the bushmobile up far sale I’ll own it. My current 550 is an ex-fchater car too. We are pretty obsessed here and the cars past around tend to be the good ones.

6. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Bringatrailer.com

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

7. Chuck Beaver

Chuck Beaver Rookie

Aug 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chuck Beaver
    So how does the SELL feature on here work? I'm looking for terms of service, to see if there's any fiduciary middlemen for us?

If not, how do people guarantee funds and such?

8. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Hi chuck, post a few more details about the car and get some feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck Beaver likes this.
  9. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    IMHO it really depends on you the seller. If you have the time and patience to sell it privately then you will probably get more for the car. BUT you will have to deal with showing the car (annoying and risky) - educating potential buyers on the "unique" aspects of a Ferrari and answering questions (assuming they are not Ferrari-savvy) - most potential buyers are going to want a PPI which you will need to assist in facilitating etc. etc.

If you want to sell the car privately but not deal with a lot of the above then I totally agree with leveraging F-Chat for various reasons - Generally savvy buyers / solid community to help vet the car (I have even seen F-Chatters offer to go look at a local car in their area on behalf of a potential long-distance buyer to save travel costs) and a deep wealth of knowledge to help answer buyer's questions if you can't for some reason.

If you don't want to deal with any of the drama associated with selling privately then consignment with a Ferrari dealer or other reputable exotic/sports car dealer takes away a lot of the drama - but at a cost since the Dealer will take a consignment fee from the selling price and net funds you get.

Lastly, if you are just selling it to generate cash then see above and the other (better most likely) advisements from folks on here. If you are just tired of the car or not enjoying it and want something else then the benefits of trading from a tax standpoint usually at least partially offsets the trade value versus retail value gap - and it is a relatively painless transaction.

360s are awesome cars (I owned one) but attract a wide range of potential buyers versus more niche models - this is good from some standpoints but also means more potential for novice buyers.

Best of luck with the sale - Cheers :)

Chuck Beaver likes this.
  10. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Chuck Beaver likes this.
  11. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Nice work chuck! And a fine looking car. If only it were a stick, I’d be heading down to Newport right now. Having said that, I feel it’s a little ambitious, but not insanely over priced. I guess it depends on what your time schedule looks like. Also it’s winter, so most of the world is under snow and not looking for a sexy convertible. Maybe go to Ferrari Newport Beach and see what “check writing $” is. Though don’t faint if they tell you something like $60,000.

12. Chuck Beaver

Chuck Beaver Rookie

Aug 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chuck Beaver
    Good idea, see below now in this same thread!

13. Chuck Beaver

Chuck Beaver Rookie

Aug 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chuck Beaver
    Yeah, I was already at Ferrari Redondo Beach, and based on their estimate minus the consignment and prep work (most of which is listed above), I'd probably walk away with around $80k.

14. Chuck Beaver

Chuck Beaver Rookie

Aug 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chuck Beaver
    I meant to ask earlier -- what do you think the correct pricing range is? The figure I listed came from Ferrari, so they may have been goosing it up to take some of the sting out of the consignment.

thx
    chuck

15. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    “Prep work” aka $10k worth of belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, brakes, tires, and alignment. I’d price it at $85 and take anything with a 8 in it

16. Chuck Beaver

Chuck Beaver Rookie

Aug 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chuck Beaver
    Yowch. That's quite a drop from their predictions! I wonder if the over-heated used car market is giving them their number. What you suggest is just a little above what I paid for it. Hmm, I wonder if they were just quoting high to get the consignment, but expecting it to sell at $85k and just shrug about it.