What's For Dinner? | Page 755 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Oh go ahead and buy another casserole dish, I dare ya!

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    To quote the great philosopher Terry Bradshaw - I may be dumb but I'm not stupid!

T

3. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    The Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron pots/pans/lids/Dutch ovens are spectacular. They are premium lifetime level kitchen equipment. I would recommend them to everyone. They are expensive, but worth it......

NbyNW and I.T. Guy like this.
  4. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    On the new kitchen stuff theme we just got a new Cutco knife set after trying out just their Chef's for a little while. So far so good! I know I know there are better ones but they were on a great sale lol.

NbyNW likes this.
  5. AREDSTALLION

AREDSTALLION Rookie

Jul 16, 2012
    Full Name:
    NA
  6. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

We needed a heavy pot for beef bourguignon and the chili was a bonus to break it in! Got a good deal thru id.me so that helped.

^ Good looking first pizza.

I.T. Guy and tomc like this.
  7. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I really need to find a Mexican place here. That looks so good, haven’t had it in so long.

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    We avoid Mexican food when outside of Texas and the Southwest.

Here in Texas, I can't really think of any Tex-Mex joint we've chosen randomly that has been a major disappointment. Bbq? Yes. Mexican? I'm sure there's one but I can't think of it off the top of my head...T

NbyNW, AREDSTALLION and I.T. Guy like this.
  9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    How hot were your Calabrian peppers. I made a big batch of arrabiata sauce with mine and it was zippy at best...T

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Mex-owned, staffed & repeat-served are the tells. Same for Chinese & Japanese.

----------

Outside dense cities, an Italian joint is much harder to measure that by, and to that end, here's a true story:

I'd say it was '84 when 3 of us went to a newish place next town over. Rosa's. 3 of us . . . Danny's 1/2 Italian. His then-fiancee & now deceased Cindy [RIP, I still think you're as wonderful as ever] & I aren't Italian.

But we all had a touchstone - Rosso's. Long gone, even by '84. But.My.God.Perfection.Legend.

Rosso's, Rosa's was not.

To wrap it up, we ordered Spumoni.

"SPU-NO-MI?! Whut's tha-at??" - said the beehive.

Oh, how we laughed.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

tomc likes this.
  11. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
  12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Great story. Great memories.

Being of Sicilian descent, I also avoid Italian places as a rule. One place we took a flyer on years ago was a joint called Undo's.
    Small town of bentwood WV, just south of Wheeling, where the MIL was born. Tough looking neighborhood, in the shadows of the mills.
    Locals told us it was good. They did not lie!
    T

wax likes this.
  13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    French know their s**t when it comes to cookware, no doubt about it. If we ever get this 'rona behind us, would love to go to France and tour some of the famous cookware places like Mauviel, Le Creuset, Matfer Bourgeat, de Buyer, etc. THAT would be an expensive trip!
    T

14. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Throw in a couple porcelain/ceramics places for some Tureens and such! We picked up some that was 10x $ by the time it makes it to Williams Sonoma. Unfortunately some broke in transit.

Fchat buying trip!!! Let’s go!

tomc likes this.
  15. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Long day of more tests at the hospital for my mom. Didn't feel like cooking tonight.................. Forgot my stupid vaccine proof for restaurants. Limits me to drive thru and not many fast food options on my route home from the hospital. Stopped at Arby's and had a gyro with curly fries.

Tomorrow trying to decide. Have more NY strip steaks that come with a ball of garlic butter. On a Portuguese bun, these make a great steak sandwich. Or have some pork chops or a brisket.

Thursday its hospital for another four hour procedure. Think I'll do sushi on my way home. My second favorite Japanese restaurant is on the route from the hospital: WELCOME to ICHIRO JAPANESE RESTAURANT – Authentic Japanese Restaurant in Steveston Fisherman Village Richmond Its location is near the docks that most of our fishing fleet is based out of.

16. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Think I'm going to do the pork chops. Shake N bake style with a baked potato.

tomc likes this.
  17. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    If ya know, ya know…

nobody goes hungry there…all that and not-pictured cabbage soup and salad courses are included with your steak or prawns. The prawns were sautéed in literally 50 chopped cloves of garlic, paprika and a tub of butter. Needless to say they were yummy.

(it’s not great, but it’s interesting…and the neighborhood is, umm, also interesting…with 3 brothels within 100 yards…)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NbyNW and I.T. Guy like this.
  18. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Mexican food?

I’ve found good stuff in a lot of places. Including our little mountain valley in Wyoming. This meal is at a local diner…but the entire kitchen staff are Mexican immigrants and they convinced the diner owner to allow them to make a special on Wednesdays; carne asada tacos. Absolutely yummy!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NbyNW, I.T. Guy, Boots and 1 other person like this.
  19. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Max you should add your proof of vaccine to your Apple wallet. Always comes in handy, as an Ontario resident I'm in the same boat. Best wishes to your mom.

max930 likes this.
  20. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Canadian Tire always has great Henckels knife sets on huge sales too, if you're ever looking.

I.T. Guy likes this.
  21. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Thanks................. The stupid online site wouldn't let me download another vaccine proof on the phone or print another one. Calling them at some point, cause you also need it to visit hospitals here.

22. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    just take a picture of the one you have. I have my two vax doses and my license in a picture in an album called "vax" on my phone and just show that. They usually never even read it.

23. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Speaking of Mexican food, when we drove to the FCA annual experience in Scottsdale, longtime FChat member Taz (Terry Phillips) recommended a Mexican restaurant in Albuquerque. My only beef with the restaurant was their liquor license didn't allow them to serve a marguerita, but the food was great. I didn't take any pics of the food, but I got my 612 out in front!

NbyNW and tomc like this.
  24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    New Mexican cuisine seems to be its own little sub-discipline of Tex Mex. Great stuff. I spent a summer up near Los Alamos and most of the mom and pop places we went to throughout the state - ABQ, Santa Fe, Taos, Las Cruces, Mesilla - were just fantastic.

Made another batch of salsa and re-learned an important lesson. Let the ingredients marry for a while before deciding to add more chili peppers. Added 3 cayenne peppers. Tasted. Seemed piquant but nothing crazy. So, I chucked in 4 or 5 more. Blended some more. When I went to have some later in the day with supper...

Prime beef tenderloin from Costco. This has turned out to be great. These were the last steaks from the package.

T

25. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Not very hot and perfect added to the cornbread.

tomc likes this.