Gas Cap Pops Open | FerrariChat

Gas Cap Pops Open

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by hnichols, Dec 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Right before putting my '87 coupe away for the winter, the gas cap started popping open when I was driving. I would stop, click it shut, but the latch would invariably open. Has this happened to anybody? I'm wondering if the catch pin is extending far enough (please see photos)? I'm not sure wether it is a mechanical problem or an electrical one.
    Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Try a bit of wd40 on it and work it in and out. The switch can be removed easy enough

3. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Thanks for your reply. So do you think the catch pin is not extending completely?

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I know i had to change mine about 25 years ago when it totally failed. I cannot remember the setup. Put a scratch mark on the plunger and Get someone to press the button, see how far out it travels and does it go back to the same place. Can the flap be adjusted by shims at the hinges

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    The plastic catch which the solenoid button inserts into and the gas cap hinge can be adjusted to a bit more reach for the button to catch more fully.

6. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    It's extending correctly; that's the maximum:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Is your black plastic latch correctly fixed or loose/too far forward?

7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Loosen the bolts on the plastci catch and pull it out a tad. Or you can also adjust the door hinge and get the door to rests a little bit further to the right.

8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    fyi, on my car the catch pin measures 9mm in full extension.

9. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Thanks everybody. Yes, I think the catch pin is at its max extension -- I'll try finessing the plastic catch. I guess the reason it suddenly stopped clicking into place -- basically, you can pop it open with your fingers -- is simple wear. (It's a mechanical problem, not an electrical one.)

But, like an idiot, I was messing around with it before reading the latest posts here, removed the locking nut, and lost my grip on the pin, to have the locking pin assembly disapper into the C-pillar/flying buttress. Now, how do you get in there, by removing the upper wheelwell cover, or through the engine compartment? Or through the trunk?

10. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Ha, that's like something I would do. That's why I know on my cab you get at it through the wheel well. Maybe this a right of passage for us Mondial owners! Clean the contacts on the wiring too.

I did sort my mysterious popping door by adjustment. You need a very small amount of extra reach by the plastic to both close the door easily and for it to hold closed. Too much and it won't close easily, you don't want to unduely wear or break the plastic piece.

11. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Turns out to have been a ridiculously easy fix: the oval door was a bit off kilter, preventing the plastic catch from hitting the locking pin squarely. When the PO had the car serviced, the Ferrari tech was a bit careless in reinstalling the gas cap door.

afterburner and moysiuan like this.