What best car to own as a Classic ferrari ? 365GT 2+2 or 365GTC\4 ? | FerrariChat

What best car to own as a Classic ferrari ? 365GT 2+2 or 365GTC\4 ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bowzer, Dec 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    I am pondering this personal dilema
    No need for the rear seats really but they are my top affordable budget.
    I'd like your opinions please as for pleasure and also as an investment
    The first is an 800 ish production , whilst the second is a lower production of around 500.
    Thank you :)

2. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    First important point, the 365 GTC/4 is a Coupe no 2+2, the back seats are nothing more
    than a nice storage area.

In my eyes the Gobbone is much more elegant, a nicer car to drive and still underrated
    and perhaps the better investment.

I love the cockpit of the Queen Mary with the more classic instruments and the iconical Nardi.
    Considering her size she drives great.

Both cars are heavy but the GTC/4 is much more nimble and sporty.

But the most important point, as you mentioned budget, look for the best car you can find,
    to work on them, maintenance, preservation or restoration is on the same level
    like on the much more expensive models.

So a V12 overhaul is a V12 overhaul, on a 275 GTB/4 it can push the value,
    on a Queen Mary there is rather the chance to burn money.

Chassis, body, etc. the same…

Restoration only when there is unstoppable love for the car because it can‘t be a good business case under
    normal circumstances.

3. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Wonderful informative reply CD, thank you :)

-CD- likes this.
  4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’ll throw in a wild card to consider......365*/400/412 GT4 2+2.

*My personal preference.

5. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Not in my sights , sorry nut thanks :)

6. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    C4 motor much more complex and costly to own than the motor found in the 2+2.
    I have personally never seen the allure of the queen mother..... but that's pretty subjective.
    Having owned a 330GT and a C4, I can say that the cost of properly setting up a reliable driver is significantly more with the C4.
    Both quiet reliable if in good order.

Bowzer likes this.
  7. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Thank you Zanny ;-)

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think they are really bookends, and that is one reason why I'd like to own a C/4 some day. In my opinion, the 365GT is the last of the "vintage" Ferraris, and the C/4 is the first of the "modern" Ferraris. Mechanically, they are similar, but the stying, interior, and driving position are just completely different.

Incidentally, the Daytona is sort of in between, in my opinion. The driving experience between a Daytona and a 365GT is remarkably similar.

drew365 and Bowzer like this.
  9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I prefer the GTC4. I find the 2+2 to be too soft looking. Pretty but missing an aggressive edge to make it interesting.

The GTC4 on the other hand isnt beautiful but very interesting to look at and it sounds amazing. Actually with Borranis, it's even beautiful.

Nembo1777 and Bowzer like this.
  10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I looove C4's drove about five of them extensively and tried hard to get the only tunnel in Fort Lauderdale to collapse from the decibels;-)

I actually drove to Sebring in convoy once with my friend Perry in his 365GT4 2+2 and me in a Queen Mary and in the middle of nowhere in orange grove territory at about 100mph the two V12 sounds merged, a beautiful and amazing acoustic effect I also experienced in racing when two identical or near identical engines are run at the same and constant rpm...like being hypnotized by sirens:)!

I would definitely choose a C4, with stiffer suspension adjustment for more reactivity. The QM is more of a boat. Spending a day driving one of the 14 365 Cal Spyders, the tomato red one at Cavallino 2005, was like piloting a Riva on the Intracoastal waterway. I did not mind though:)

Bowzer likes this.
  11. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    I understand your acoustic pleasures and your sometimes seaside experience. I bought some years back, a 365 GT 2+2 which needed some TLC ,which I gave her in abundance. ( Costing me an arm and a leg at a renowned Maranello workshop). Before which, it really was similar to a boatride, but believe me , having such long overhangs, I was really surprised with her behaviour on the road when all was set right. I think 365GT 2+2 needs periodic tightening and setting of total suspension in concert, to avoid the "boat" experience. Having said that, I have never driven a properly set GTC\4 to be able to compare. Therefore the whole point of this thread here is to make up my mind if I need to move on to the GTC\4 ownership or not. Thank you nembo1777 for your insight .

Nembo1777 likes this.
  12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've never felt that my 365GT felt like a "boat." I have driven some real boats-- American cars from the 1960s-- and the 365GT never felt anything like that. It's not a hard-edged sports car, to be fair, but it didn't feel any more boat like than the Daytona I've driven.

Bowzer likes this.
  13. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    The 365 GT4 2+2 and the 365 GTC 4 are virtually the same car under the outer body except for the slightly longer wheelbase of the 365 GT4 2+2. I presently own one of each and there isn't any difference from the console forward. Seats, Console, Dash, Transmission, Engine. Suspension and Brakes. The 365 GT4 2+2 is much sportier than the 400s and 412s although they have similar styling.
    I prefer the 365 GTC4 over the 365 GT4 2+2, only because of the styling but I think as time goes by the 365 GT4 2+2 will apricate more because they are priced right at this time, until more people are exposed to their sportiness, handling and overall performance.
    I owned a 365 GT 2+2 in the early 70s and I didn't like it because it was a boat.

Chuck King

Bowzer, Nembo1777 and miurasv like this.
  14. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Chuck , we are comparing the 365GT 2+2 against the 365GTC\4 , but thanks anyway for your input ;-)

15. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
  16. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
  17. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Incidentally, the Daytona is sort of in between, in my opinion. The driving experience between a Daytona and a 365GT is remarkably similar.[/QUOTE]
    Chalk and cheese in my experience

Bowzer likes this.
  18. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    The C4 is a two face, in certain colors it’s beautiful, in others not so much. There is a pretty strong consensus that the C4 is the best sounding Ferrari road car of the era.

amerikalei, Nembo1777 and Bowzer like this.
  19. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

330GTC

LARRYH likes this.
  20. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Yes, there is in terms of performance a 20% on the Daytona side which ended up
    in a fascinating drama the Tipo 251 offers on the top end!

I don‘t like Daytonas in the city and curvy outback runs but it‘s a hell of a car on the highway
    and it comes with its racing pedigree and iconical design.

I love both… :)

Bowzer likes this.
  21. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    I agree with Zanny1. I too owned a 330 GT and now a C4 (for15 years) The C4, though more complicated mechanically, has been very reliable, sporty to drive, spacious (I am 6'2") and having the back seats plus massive trunk for storage has been a big plus as I have often taken trips of 1,000 miles or more. The 365 GT handled well though driving down the road it seemed to "float" more than either the 330 GT or C4. It did produce the right noises and has good storage and four people can actually fit inside, but the front seats seemed small and unsupportive to me. Try to get some seat time in all three and choose the car that feels "right" to you. They are all great in their own way.

donv, Nembo1777, Bowzer and 1 other person like this.
  22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    See also thread here.

Bowzer likes this.
  23. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Thank you :)

24. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Thank you miurasv :)

miurasv likes this.
  25. straightpipe

straightpipe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Stock exhaust is good, modified is a little better, straight pipes are wild on the track or street. 385 hp helps to top it off. Fortunately, didn’t acquire tickets after a year of running straight on the street. The wife didn’t like it and today I enjoy slightly modified with the sweet sound starting at 4000 rpm +. I guess my addiction came from the raw ripping sounds of Indy and F1. C/4’s are easy to drive in traffic, comfortable in all seasons, and shouldn’t require a lot of maintenance. Webbers were tuned years ago and stayed that way. It’ll be tough to move on. DB reading was on the dyno with straight.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mechaniker and abilliet like this.