Michelin pilot sport 4s for stock F12 size help | FerrariChat

Michelin pilot sport 4s for stock F12 size help

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by sunghyun7, Nov 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    #1 sunghyun7, Nov 26, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    hello I'm looking for pilot sport 4s size for the stock diamond forged F12 wheels. I'm little confused about this k1/k2 types & another post recommending 265 front width instead of the stock 255. what's the proper size of the PS4S tires for F12?

tirerack.com auto check out for f12 leads me to 255/35zr20 (without k-designation) for front & 315/35zr20 K1 for the rear.

thanks in advance.

2. Raj seth

Raj seth Karting

Sep 24, 2020
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Raj seth
    I bought that exact spec for my F12. Replaced Michelin (low wear, 5/6 years old ) and saw improvement immediately. My kids noticed smoother ride. better traction for sure.

I read all the forums etc.. asked my local dealer . Made the jump..

Ordered from tire rack and another. I had my dealer balance and install.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

sunghyun7 likes this.
  3. Raj seth

Raj seth Karting

Sep 24, 2020
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Raj seth
    255….
    Saw that stuff about larger… saw zero real rational…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

sunghyun7 likes this.
  4. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    255 is the oem front size for the F12, member Copilota very aware about tires specs noticed F12 Michelin Supersport contemporary tires width matches more with 265 Michelin PS4S than with the MPS4S 255'.
    So if you choose Supersports go oem, if you choose S4S 265 fits better.

ANOpax and Alexcle like this.
  5. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I'm looking into doing the same with tires for my "new to me" F12. Currently has 5-6 year old Pirelli PZero's on it and they are, literally, dangerous. Tirerack suggested not mixing "non K1's" with "K1's" as the compounds are different. More research is required as this thing is such a monster as I've already had two pucker moments and have yet to go full throttle.

ryalex likes this.
  6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Yes first thing I did was ditch the 6 year old Pirellis and switch to Michelins P4S. night and day difference

bamaman and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    i couldn't find k1 spec for the fronts for the pilot sport 4s from any of the major tire retailers. GTR forum has a guy that had k1 and non-k1 295-35-20 tires side by side (same size), and k1 is wider by a little bit. my biggest concern is different diameter throwing codes or screwing up traction control but since raj already made the jump and doesn't seem to have problems, i'm hoping the same. i'll report back when installed.

8. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
  9. Raj seth

Raj seth Karting

Sep 24, 2020
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Raj seth
    Maybe ask the factory - pretty responsive. Not sure I’d never feel the difference. That said, the difference from the old is huge. I thought of it as life insurance - didn’t have time ….

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not at all zero real rationale. But what ever floats your boat.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ANOpax likes this.
  11. Raj seth

Raj seth Karting

Sep 24, 2020
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Raj seth
    Bit snarky. Hello! Maybe read more carefully - I SAW no rational - still don’t. perhaps you do. Great. Take a month or two to find tires? Not worth it to me. Maybe ask the factory … “Fiorella” is super nice and will get you an answer quickly.
    If there’s a big diff then I’ll just get new tires after you all figure it out. But I’ll be alive in the meantime:)

12. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Hmm. You’ve clearly got it all worked out.

13. Raj seth

Raj seth Karting

Sep 24, 2020
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Raj seth
    Indeed - merry x- mas!!!

14. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Likewise. Best wishes for the festive season. If you look a little closer, you might see while looking ;)

15. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    #15 sunghyun7, Dec 16, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    I got it all installed. No issues with the stated size. No error message. No traction control issues. 265 in front is based on rationale that K1 is bit wider. I think if you're tracking the car, that may make a difference at the limit potentially but for normal driving, it's already tramlining with 255, so I'd stick with 255. If you're tracking, 265 may be closer to the factory contact patch balance if that matters at all.

They do make 255 k1 version (I didn't think they even made those since I couldn't find it anywhere). I would do all 4 k1's for the next time around just to keep it consistent. but the normal 255 ps4s works beautifully as well. Way better than P-zero if you like shorts periods of rush intervened by long periods of normal driving.

Vegas CS, Raj seth and montegoblue like this.
  16. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I just had the same done to my car. Haven’t gotten to drive it yet as I had to go out of town for a few days but looking forward to the confidence of the 4S’s over the 5 yr old P Zero’s that were on the car.

17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Where did you get the information that they make the 255/35zr20 in K1 spec please?

18. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    american tire distributors. atd-us.com

19. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    night and day. you'll love it! Even just manual feel of the ps4s tires felt so much softer and more gooey. I took a sharp 90deg turn going 35mph'ish and I was shocked at how front end turned. christ.. it felt like slamming into a wall then just being bounced off to another direction. I never felt that with p-zero before! It also feels like I gained about 200hp in the first gear. It's so good!!!!!!!!!!

Vegas CS likes this.
  20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Dealer partnership website. :(

Tire Rack, Discount Tire, and the official Michelin US websites do not list a K1 made in the stock F12 255/35zr20 front size.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There is none. It is highly unlikely that Ferrari will have Michelin make a K2 tyre for a car that is no longer in production. The K1 MPS4S rear is specific to the 812, and probably no more suited for the F12 than the general purpose variant in 315/35R20. I've said it before and I'll say it again. K does not mean any Ferrari, they are model specific. It has zero to do with a "Ferrari compound", better quality or the like. It's just an MPS4S for a specific Ferrari, not any old Ferrari.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  22. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    il co-pilota, they have 2 in stock (front "k" designation) as of this morning. I used tread connection which is mobile service which gets their tires from them. now it's news to me that K1 is model specific and not brand specific. With that new info, i think just doing 4 standard PS4S all the way around is a good option as well. It's bit confusing because they got the similar letter designation for Porsche which seemed brand specific. anyway, I like the little wider K1 because it protrudes slightly beyond the wheel lip, and I think it would protect the lip if I rubbed up against a sidewalk somehow. thanks for the info

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The reason why after consulting with my contact at Michelin, I suggest 265 when using the MPS4S, is this.

The 255 MPSS K2 originally developed for the F12, was designed with a much wider tread than a regular 255 MPSS. So in order to keep the front to rear tread width bias similar, the 265 MPS4S is much closer than the 255.

I got snarky because rather than trying to figure out why the 265 is used, you just write it off as an idea pulled from a hat.

24. Josephyuan

Josephyuan Rookie

Nov 23, 2021
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Joseph Y
    My 2020 Pzero isn't perform well at winter, kept losing tractions when I padel down quickly .... Thinking of change it to PS4S 255 and 315, but after reading this thread , will now go with 265 and 315, see whether it makes huge difference compares to the Pzero .

25. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    josephyuan, i would do standard (non-k) ps4s in oem size all the way around or "k" in oem size all the way around.

Josephyuan likes this.