Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550? | Page 20 | FerrariChat

Market Prices 575 Manual vs 575 F1 (conversion costs) vs 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Ferrari55whoa, Oct 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Going to take two sales to make a trend?

Terry’s comment (and others) are on point…..seems like a really strong result and not sure why. There are 4 bidders at the high level so hard to be negative and say it was manipulated.

Could be a group of guys that just have plenty of cash and really wanted it.

I’m not sure why a converted 575 would sell for a lot more than an equivalent 550…..we’ve covered differing opinions on that….mine was I wanted a 550 with the more analog experience and instruments/dash.

There are many guys here fortunate enough to have sizable to big collections so why not have them all :cool:

I think Dan’s conversion is going to be more desirable so if he brings it to market it should theoretically crush this recent result….

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    its BAT...

root likes this.
  3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Agreed. It is amazing that all these cars trade at such strong numbers with no PPI.

part of it has to be a reflection of the buyers wealth and the amounts not being material in size for them. That is a delightful place to be if one can (not me).

4. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    I'm also in the camp that this was a strong sale. Probably a $30-50k premium to buying a F1 car and converting it.

However, it's ready to go so you save at least 4-6 months and in today's market (even outside of BAT) that seems to be reflective of what certain people are willing to pay to not wait. Porsche, C8 Corvette, Ferrari, and G-Wagon "buy it now" markups across dealer lots and private sale listings are all kinda in that $ or % range for cool but not truly rare production cars.

5. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I see inflation causing many to put cash into “things”. The used car and exotic car markets are exploding. The Porsche market in general is up 20/25% this year. The stock market is up for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wow.....today was interesting. I admit to not following this one super closely.....I was really interested to see where it would land since we don't see "very high" mile Maranello's come to market often....They say "you buy the seller".....I didn't think given the good documentation and only 2 owners (last one for 15 years) that it would end this low.

I mentioned to my wife yesterday that I should bid on this one as a conversion candidate. I'm not sure why I didn't bid on this other than dealing with my wife's brow beating......seemed like a lot to like?

I saw one person comment at BaT that he was looking at it out east for $55k (I would have bought it and dealt with my wife's temper at that level)....I assume he meant he offered and it was not accepted at that level).....that same BaT commenter alluded that he believed the seller bought just slightly below the hammer price.

SOLD for $63,000 on 11/15/21 out of North Salem NY
    2004 575M F1 ZFFBV55AX40134692 and assembly 51844
    +) 91,145 miles.....yes.....91k miles.....only 2 owners (excluding broker/seller).....carfax showed the owner/seller had it from 2006....that's 15 years 7 months (and made serious maintenance investment over time).
    +) Grigio Titanio over blue with shields
    +) Daytona style seats, 19" modulars; FHP, Tubi-exhaust; Navigation; leather parcel shelf; ferrari car cover in the trunk; red master fob and security pin paper
    +) "Major done June 2021"
    +) center panel did look "sticky"
    +) clutch done at 68k miles (23k-ish miles ago).
    +) From quick glance the interior generally looked good (air bag bubble)?
    +) 134692
    +) didn't see any threads here on the car
    +) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-ferrari-575m-maranello-9/

SUPER interested in high mile cars. I'm thinking I need to resurrect this thread and add some cars that are higher than Doug's blue TdF that sold during covid with 67k miles. I REALLY like high mile car stories @vandevanterSH .....shouldn't we create a "hero's list" for Maranello's 67k miles or higher? Other bay area native.... https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/members/244412/ @Montgomery Kersten has the highest mile 550 (and original owner) I've heard of (I think he is around 140k and he owns several F-cars.

white out likes this.
  7. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    If you believe some of the asking prices, then the wheels alone on this 575 are almost a third of the value of the final bid.

8. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Over the Thanksgiving holiday we had another 575 sell on BaT.

This was an odd ball.....and I think @henryr said it best during the commentary......"coulda saved $2k plus vig just be looking on autotrader". So strange that it was listed historically for $88k on autotrader.....and then no auction fee...... and yet here the "BaT premium" resulted in a stronger number plus the commish....."resale red" I guess?

SOLD for $90,000 on 11/26/21 out of Fredricksburg VA
    2002 575M F1 ZFFBV55A620129079 and assembly 46196
    +) 39,493 miles.....6 previous owners.....was weird that the carfax showed a PPI that was done and all the items and it's needs was extensive including a "major"
    +) Rosso Corsa over tan with shields
    +) Daytona style seats, 18" OEM wheels; red master fob and two odd looking keys...also missing Ferrari flashlight in the tool kit (as noted by @henryr
    +) quite a bit of documentation but quite a bit of deferred maint per the PPI that thankfully a few guys got to see.
    +) Per the auction...."timing belt was replaced in March 2013".....
    +) clutch done very recently (mileage wise)....4 years ago.....car has sat for a long time.
    +) sounded like the "stickies"hadn't been addressed
    +) 129079
    +) LISTED and RNM on BaT 1/26/18 at $90,500 out of Northville MI, with 39,081 miles -- https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-ferrari-575m-maranello-2/
    +) https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/145783352/
    +) https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-ferrari-575m-maranello-20/

I enjoyed @dhalperin13 comment during the auction....."No one should pass on a beautiful girl just because she has had 6 boyfriends." I held back and didn't say...."as long as those prior 6 boyfriends weren't 6'6" or taller!

@Clyde Romero @SteveVT @Joel Delman and the regular crew was checking in during the auction.....interested in others thoughts.....I personally didn't think this deferred maintenance plus the cosmetics noted on the PPI and the mileage was going to result in a number much over $70k?

9. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Wasn’t this the car that previously ran on BaT with one unembossed fender with a stick-on shield and one embossed with OEM shield? Lived in Russia or something crazy at one point?

10. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No that was a different red one….The one you were thinking about was a “story” car for sure

Qksilver likes this.
  11. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Ferrari-550-MARANELLO-/165195699165?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Ferrari-550-Maranello-/165208814462?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Same dealer listed 2 x 550's of almost 20k miles for $250k each. Surprised some of these dealers arms haven't fallen off yet from all this reaching. o_O

Nobody's actually even close to buying these are they? Considering the BaT Giallo car just sold for $180k, which on the surface looked like a better example than all of these?

Mellow_Maranello likes this.
  12. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Agreed. It’s amazing….but don’t ask don’t get?….only takes 1?

don’t understand where he is getting his comps?

13. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well, there are almost zero cars for sale publicly...

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  14. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Looks like there are a few more for sale right now then maybe about a month ago. I'm pretty sure the only one for sale at that time, which still is for sale, is the RC with the shady accident history at $140k. Now there's what 6-7 all asking $200k+? And then the silver one at $105k, which must be falling apart if it's still available. Also doesn't look like any of these are being sold by factory Ferrari dealers, FWIW.

What's also interesting is a lot of the recent auctions in the UK for 550's have sold for under 100k GBP. I would easily take a quick flight over to the UK and pay $100k less for an import if that's what American markets are trying to get.

15. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I was definitely surprised to see this car break the $90k barrier, especially given that the buyer needs to drop $10-15k right away to deal with deferred maintenance. Maybe it is just me, but it seems like there is a lack of inventory for Maranellos and 456s at the moment. Maybe the lack of supply drove the price on this one a bit? Alternatively, maybe we are starting to see the floor on V12 Fcar prices rise as people realize they are a disappearing breed?

rhern213 likes this.
  16. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I corresponded with this dealer and stated that he must be asking 80K for the sport seats since the going rate for the car is 180K max. Got no comment back.

rhern213 likes this.
  17. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Out of curiosity, where can you find a similar car for $180 right now? Not trying to be snarky, genuinely curious. The BaT sale is a recent public data point, but it was an auction (i.e any given Sunday phenomenon, couldn't see the car, couldn't drive the car), there aren't any others right now, and the market has continued to run hot (despite people not necessarily wanting to pull money out of traditional investments).

I think the dealer is asking over market, but the reality is, in a market that is as thin as this right now, sellers have substantial say on price because buyers really can't just go buy another. Sellers don't have any competition when there are only 4 cars avail that aren't accident/storied and all are >$200K.

18. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Joe,
    I get your point. Now’s simply not the time to buy much of anything. This too will pass. There are quite a few undercurrents occurring right now that are driving all this. Just my opinion.

rhern213 likes this.
  19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    $80k for carbon sport seats. Sounds about right :).

20. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    You could quadruple your money in a month !

ShineKen likes this.
  21. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If the market stays very thin from a supply perspective this spring then imagine how bananas things could get?

I NEVER thought COVID was going to play out like this, I thought I was going to have to buy an industrial building for all the “cheap buys” I was going to score…..man I was wrong.

rhern213 likes this.
  22. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    #497 rhern213, Dec 1, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    We all got caught with our pants down on that one. :D

23. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Only alternative, don't buy, lol.
    Here's my reasoning, for those of us who own them to drive are never going to pay $200k for one. I think it's just too much money for an older car to be out and about all the time and go through wear and tear. That goes for any car, not just a 550. Then for those who are collectors and are willing to spend the money, evidence I've seen suggests they only care to buy sub <10k mile cars. I don't think there's a market for 550's with 20k+ miles much higher than $150k.

Also to consider the 575, which aside from the F1 is a better car overall, and even rarer than a 550. So when you throw that into the mix and a $100k cheaper car, it just doesn't make any sense at all to me.

I'm curious, can anyone think of 20+ year old car worth over $200k that is typically used as a regular driver? I can't think of any off the top of my head because I don't think that people who can afford it would do it.

BTW, at $180k while I think at the top of the range, I don't think is ridiculous, however these guys trying to get $220-$250 I do think is absurd.

Skippr1999 and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  24. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Your TdF 550 I was really jealous about….you did very well on that purchase.

It’s been surprising to me….and maybe this “tightening” will be a temporary seasonal trend…..but given how many cars came to market this past year I expected things to remain soft-ish….the spring supply and market pricing will tell (plus a lot can happen in the general economy for sure over the next 4-5 months…..

Edit…I just saw your follow on post….I agree with your sentiment. I personally had/have every intention of my “driver mile” car being a 20+ year hold for me. I couldn’t have ever justified to my wife spending much more than I have because to “normal” people it’s just so insanely excessive.

I was home for the holiday and bought a new shotgun ….we all got together to shoot clays….(I bought the DP-12) and my buddies thought that kind of “unnecessary and expensive” purchase was silly…..I surely am not telling any of them about the 550…..

25. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    @Ferrari55whoa
    Thanks Eric, yeah my 550 turned out to be a really good buy, but I think was risky initially. I have a chromecast with google tv that's always showing my photos on a loop on the TV, now I spend my days looking at pictures and wanting it back, but at least the FF soothes me on cold starts. :D

I've always thought of the 550/575 as the useable drivers Ferrari, but maybe it's just to do with that era of cars since I feel the same about the 355/360. I never thought of it as a collectible car that would be worth a bundle of money, more so of it being that attainable car guys diy Ferrari. I hope I'm in the majority so I could get another one in the near future. Otherwise I see myself with a 575 and a manual conversion!

hahaha, I understand, most of my friends think I was being too fancy buying a Mercedes Wagon, but they didn't know it was 5 years old and $30k.
    You'll just need to remember to not stow the shotgun in the garage if you invite them over for beers. o_O
    Also that reminds me, now that I'm back in Florida I need to get a weapons license!

white out likes this.