296 cabin space | Page 2 | FerrariChat

296 cabin space

Discussion in '296' started by pk328, Nov 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    3600 pounds is crazy. Doesn't sound like it should be part of the "fun to drive" formula.

2. DavisJ

DavisJ Karting

Dec 31, 2019
    the specs sound more and more like my previous 2019 NSX - that was NOT fun to drive

3. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Interior space is very subjective. People have some pretty strong opinions as to what they like in this department. Ferraris that I've owned/drive have much roomier interiors than other sports cars. One could argue that the spaciousness feels more like it appeals to a sports car leaning towards the luxury GT space than it does the race-car like space.

If you sit in a Speciale, Pista, Tdf, 812, etc for the first time coming from a McLaren, Porsche, etc, it's surprisingly roomy and spacious. It definitely doesn't feel like you're in a cocoon that is as focused though. Again, appeals to types that like bigger interiors.

I think there is also different aspects to interior roominess. For example, side to side space and the concept of nearly touching shoulders with your passenger, front to back space, where Lamborghinis feel like the dashboard is unnecessary jutting out toward your torso and filling up the entire cabin, footwell space and the relationship to how the seats are adjustable and angled, and top to bottom space for taller individuals, ingress/egress, and helmets.

That all said and done, I've always found the McLaren interior shape, seating position, overall feel more to my liking. So if the 296 is more cocoon-like, then I like that. The Ferrari interior, however has the design elements, materials, and fit/finish that I prefer. But the overall cabin feels less sculpted for engagement, in my opinion.

Going to reserve my personal judgment on the 296 until I can sit in one.

ryalex, Caeruleus11 and Slicknick like this.
  4. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Yes, and so many buyers have placed an order on the 296 without knowing how small the cabin is.

5. Slicknick

Slicknick Karting

Oct 15, 2019
    Willebroek, Belgium
    Full Name:
    N. Y. Yazgan
    Pretty sure that's curb weight, but hey

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  6. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Normally I'd totally agree. I've always enjoyed the idea of buying lighter cars over the years. Then I became fortunate enough to be able to buy light cars with high power.

The car that changed my mind a bit regarding street driving and the concept of fun to drive was the Porsche Taycan. We had a Tesla Model S in the early days of Tesla, and it definitely gave me a taste of what was to come with low center of mass, instant and endless torque, and fairly amazing traction given the car I was driving and the tires they put on it. The Taycan showed the world that focusing priority on designing the experience of driving and owning a car vs the tech and gimmicks in a car creates a far superior and way more fun car to drive.

If you haven't tried driving a Taycan, I highly suggest it. While it cannot necessarily change directions and move it's weight as easily as F8 or a Pista, it is amazingly good with the combo of rear wheel steer, power delivery, and it's lower center of mass despite the 5000+ lbs curb weight.

I think the 296 will be a winner that surprises a lot of people.

releod and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No doubt it is. Still 200 pounds too much. Only 150 pounds less than the SF90.

8. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    I've been interested in this car since launch but have not seen one or sat in one. However, if it's as small on the interior as others describe, I won't be a buyer. I don't have a skinny jeans body anymore. :(

54greg likes this.
  9. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I won't have a chance to sit in one until late March, but I did recently sit in an SF90 Straddle wondering if it would be a replica of that cabin and I did NOT fit. I'm 6' 5" and 240 pounds. I don't think I'm particularly out of proportion legs vs torso. I sat in an 812 Superfast and fit much better (both had CF racing seats). I did hear, though, that the 296 will offer for the first time XL racing seats (whereas before it was S/M/L) so not sure how to interpret that... guess I'll have to wait until late March to truly see, but I'm concerned as well that I won't fit in a 296. :(

10. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I got the chance last week to set in the car, from what I have read here I had expectations that it would feel tighter on the inside but to me it was very similar size to my 458.

ScottS, SECRET and Slicknick like this.
  11. DQSF

DQSF Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Dennis Q
    If you don’t fit height there’s not much you can do. For “width” (my case) standard seats are more forgiving than CF ones. I was excited about the XL option but the way it was explained to me was that the seat shell stays the same and the size determines how much cushion is applied. So greater the size, the thinner the cushion and rougher the ride. Would love to hear from anyone if that’s truly the case and if you actually feel a difference from the padding or not?

Eagerly awaiting my chance to sit in one in March as well at SF.

12. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    The 296 compared to the latest 911 is much smaller tighter. The last couple era of the 911 …the 991 and 992 cabin space is deeper into the car, more leg room and much more head and should room than the Ferrari 296GTB.

BigJay2050 likes this.
  13. rxbg

rxbg Karting

Apr 11, 2010
    USA
    BUT the 296 will make the 911 invisible on the road.

perrinnation likes this.
  14. Forza Scuderia

Forza Scuderia Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2015
    Erm … the 911 is already invisible on the road.

JTSE30 likes this.
  15. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    My 488 makes a 911 invisible.... unless at a nice curvy race track...

16. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Also if you can not get comfortable in a car such as he new 296GTB with less hip, leg hard and shoulder room then what's the point?

17. rxbg

rxbg Karting

Apr 11, 2010
    USA
    i have a gen 2 R8 Plus. you should have seen the psychological consternation of people on forums regarding the standard race seats on the plus model when it first came out. sure they're hard and narrow. but that's the point of the car. it should feel like a sports car. then most of those people that originally complained about them learned to be just fine with them. frankly- if you think its too small or too low or the seats to narrow. just get a bentley and stretch out. life is too short.

the ONLY thing that bothers me about this car is the numbing decision to not offer the multimatic suspension as a stand alone option.

18. BillHartman67

BillHartman67 Karting

Sep 25, 2021
    Montvale, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bill Hartman
    So the 296 is almost 2” lower than the F8, 488, 458 and the wheelbase is 1 1/2” shorter.
    if we assume the ground clearance is the same then the cabin space (headroom) must be smaller.
    I felt it immediately when I got into the car. I am a tall guy 6’3” and it was harder getting into and I felt like the headliner was an inch away.
    I had to recline the seat and move the seat forward to get more headroom.

This was just my observation from the viewing in NYC. TY

19. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    That’s not my point with saying what I said about the 296. I’m 6’5” slender but muscular and do not fit great. An Audi R8 is even worse for me. My 488 is ok but the driving position in a 991 or 992 Porsche GT3 even with the deep low sport buckets is great. A McLaren 720 is tight but seating position is better.
    At my dealers 296 showing many guys with wide shoulders that are 6’1 to 6’3” sat in the 296 and preferred there 458/488 much better or they preferred there Porsche seat and cabin.
    We are not talking or wanting a plush Bentley but a lower seating position for better head room and seats that fit broad shoulders better. If you are skinny and under 6’ smaller guy you’ll love the 296 cabin.

20. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Ultimately time will tell once I sit in the car but an overarching assumption here - humans are only getting bigger (taller and wider generally speaking). I understand the 296 is a "smaller" car, but my presumption was in wheelbase (not headroom). Seems like Ferrari is already paring down their potential customers by making the cabin smaller (no one ever complained about their cabin being too large in a Ferrari)?

BigJay2050, DQSF and BillHartman67 like this.
  21. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I had a chance to sit in the car tonight. Its tight. My head was almost hitting whereas in my 488 and Pista I have no issues with space. They said if I get sport seats there is more room as this car had the electric seats. Interior was definitely cozy. Visibility also not as good. Not that it was a huge issue or game changer but definitely different.

The interior is surprisingly spartan - really nothing much on the inside at all. Im tempted to order one but want to drive it first.

BillHartman67, Slicknick and Jo Sta7 like this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Well Europeans are not as big as Americans so not surprising it’s a tighter fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk