Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973) | Page 101 | FerrariChat

Maserati Ghibli (1966 - 1973)

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by miuras, Feb 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    R134 requires barrier hoses as the molecules are smaller and leak through the original hoses. I have no knowledge about RS-24 or the other substitutes for R12 but R134 isn't as efficient as R-12 and if it is used, ideally, you should size up your condenser to offset the less efficient effects of R-134.

staatsof likes this.
  2. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    tantumaude, wbaeumer, JP365 and 4 others like this.
  3. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Need a yellow Islero and yellow Grifo to complete the photo

71Satisfaction likes this.
  4. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    Don't know any of them down there.

5. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    wbaeumer and psw like this.
  6. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
  7. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I'm assuming that the spyder is the same car in both pictures. In the sunlight the car looks more orangish than in the picture where it is with the coupe or is that just a photographic situation?

71Satisfaction likes this.
  8. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Nice, but red does not work for me on a Ghibli spyder. There are so many better colors ......

Ivan

71Satisfaction, red27 and wbaeumer like this.
  9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Maserati's basic red during the GT cars era always was quite orangish. I've never liked it. But red in general was so dominant then in European and especially Italian cars. Red Ferraris, a hundred in a row of the same model can be quite boring at a car show. I used to see it year after year. Resale red ring a bell. Fortunately some of the owners in more recent years have broken free of the restraint of the originality of the color and we've seen much more interesting colors on some fabulous over restorations at shows like those at Villa d'Este.

10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Love yellow on Ghibli Spyder with Borrani wire wheels. However I don’t think yellow looks good on the Coupe

11. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Yes, same Spyder. Just compare the NY tag number in both pictures..

12. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    I agree about the "boring" color.. metallic, even red, would better show the body lines. As with most collections parked in a warehouse, there is rarely enough space to get a good picture. Wonder why the wiper arms are parked so high..

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    red27, boralogist and amenasce like this.
  14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Gorgeous!!

staatsof likes this.
  15. PeterJG

PeterJG Rookie

Dec 2, 2021
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    Peter J Goldreich
    I just learned of this forum and am pleased to see the interest, knowledge and passion shared by fellow Maserati Ghibli owners. I purchased my Ghibli in March '01 and just recently secured the documentation from Modena that confirms the cars authenticity.

My Ghibli is a AM 115-336, an early production car with a wrap-down trunk, radiator fans in front of radiator, dual plug motor, dual Ghirling brake boosters, no power steering, center spline kock-off Campagnolo alloy wheels and Becker Grand Prix radio. The vehicle is original and unrestored with 13.8k miles on the odometer.

The delivery documentation states this vehicle was displayed at the 1968 International Automobile Show in New York City. Modena has no information about the 1968 show and I am grateful if anyone has any knowledge of Maserati's participation in that show. Also, I believe I am the second owner of the AM 115-336 but do not have any records of prior ownership. I appreciate any insight on this car's life prior to my purchase in '01.

Thanks.

Peter

Attached Files:

lgs, red27 and Nembo1777 like this.
  16. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Beautiful car!!!

Mike

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Welcome, great car and history!

Have you been in touch with the factory's historical department, Maserati Classiche? They will have the initial history; production and delivery details.

18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Oops long day, you already did, well done.

19. PeterJG

PeterJG Rookie

Dec 2, 2021
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    Peter J Goldreich
    Historical documents confirm the original wheels on my Ghibli are "Borrani forged". And the attached photo displays that marking on the wheel's center cap. The alloy wheel looks like a Campagnolo starburst wheel.

Can anyone inform me the difference between Borrani forged wheels and Campagnolo alloys?

Thanks

20. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Very strange.
    I would be very surprised that Borrani made a very small production of forged alloy Starbust wheels.

Either these wheels are one-off alloy wheels CNC machined from a forged block (like the ones proposed by Candini in Italy) or they are simply the usual Campagnolo mag wheels with only an adapted center cap.

Did you remove your wheels to inspect the inside structure and find out what is written?

What could also appear is that your Ghibli was delivered (as specified on the factory sheet) with the bi-metal 15" Borrani wheels looking like the 14" Indy wheels (there were very few of these), later replaced by Campy wheels...
    Such wheels have indeed forged alloy centres and steel rims!

21. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Very nice looking car. Is the car still not restored and in very original and genuine, you should keep that time warp condition. Priceless!

Not sure yet, but maybe I have a photo of your car from the NY Show in my photo archive....

22. PeterJG

PeterJG Rookie

Dec 2, 2021
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    Peter J Goldreich
    Walter, yes the car is entirely original; paint, chrome, glass, leather, mouse hair dash, headliner. Dual plug block, double thermostat, wrap down trunk. Might even be original Pirelli CN 72 spare tire - tires on 4 wheels were Pirelli P4000 when purchased in '01.

Was informed one previous owner from '68-'01. Still trying to confirm this - if you know provenance that would be great.

Appreciate you checking photo archive for '68 NY Auto Show. Maserati historian Mr. Fabio Collina has production details but no records of US marketing launch or US shows. At that time the Maserati show booth was manned by Foreign Car City West Nyack NY (Bob Grossman's shop) and Maserati shipped this car directly to NY Coliseum/show floor for him to display.

23. PeterJG

PeterJG Rookie

Dec 2, 2021
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    Peter J Goldreich

Maserati historian Mr. Fabio Collina informed me that 26% of Ghiblis had Borrani forged wheels. I checked my spare - same wheel as 4 road wheels and it is stamped Campagnolo (clad in original Pirelli CN 72 tires - road tires were Pirelli P4000 when I purchased car.)

Classiche Masters is selling early Ghibli AM 115-042 with similar story. Technical documents state Borrani forged wheels and wheels look like Campagnolo in listing photo.

Maybe Borrani forged only refers to hub?
    Are any Campagnolo wheels with knock-offs or are all bolted on?

24. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    The early Ghiblis had knock-off Campagnolo.
    Knock-off Borrani wire wheels were also an option.

According to your history document, your Ghibli may have been originally delivered with Borrani forged wheels (the bi-metal ones: the rim is in steel and the disc is in forged alloy).
    And according to Fabio, your Ghibli may be part of the 26% fitted with such Borrani.

Your spare is definitely a Campagnolo, so a mag wheel, a knock-off one.
    Later Campagnolo wheels were with the 4 x 130 stud/nut attachment.

25. PeterJG

PeterJG Rookie

Dec 2, 2021
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    Peter J Goldreich
    Thanks.

It seems plausible that a wheel swap occurred - the previous owner replaced the factory-supplied Borrani forged wheels with the Campagnolo alloys.

Do you or any member of this community have a photo of the Borrani forged knock off wheel (not wire wheel) that may have been furnished on this and 26% of Maserati Ghiblis, per Fabio Collina.