The Tesla Plaid Will Smoke Every Car Ferrari Makes for $150k | Page 12 | FerrariChat

The Tesla Plaid Will Smoke Every Car Ferrari Makes for $150k

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Golden Steed, Nov 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    exactly! 3 MOTORS, no ENGINE ;) :D

paulchua likes this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This

I guess this is what just boggles my mind. I don't know anything about performing triple bypass surgery. Hence I would never have the chutzpah to go to a surgeon forum and post.

I would shut up and read if I was interested in the subject.

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  4. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    so an engine can be a motor, but a motor is not an engine. :confused: electric engine? o_O

paulchua likes this.
  5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Sir, Teslas are garbage, they should never be compared to Ferraris, yes, you have raced on a track, that does not make you a better driver than anyone else out there who has not, yes your Forum is fantastic, I really try not to use insults when I post, I simply disagree with you when it comes to the brakes on our 328s ( I assume you still own your 328 ) . Thats fantastic on your success over at SCCA, and wherever else, with that being said, there are people who also have a natural ability to drive a car that have not been on TV. I know enough about my 328, and I know enough about all the Ferraris that interest me, Ive been around them for 30 years, its hard not to be here where I live. My best friend has an 08 Porsche Twin Turbo, and he has talked with me about his car, the Metzner engine, the bad bearing problem in the non turbos of those year models, Im not an expert, but I have driven his car on a few occasions, and its fantastic, and just by talking with people, here as elsewhere, I have learned a lot about the cars we all love. I feel I have to defend myself, which I really should not have too, when I comes to ignorance. Anyhow, no hard feelings , or resentment here . At this point, I would have to agree with you, you have more track experience in a car, with that being said, I would still love to follow you in our respective cars , I can do it on a bike, maybe that will bleed over onto racing the 328 on a track. I have logged 80,000 miles in my 328. mostly in the canyons and mountains, so I can say Im a little schooled on those roads. The only track experience on 4 wheels is in racing karts, which I do pretty good at as well.

Thank you

papou likes this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't think Tesla's are trash. Despite personal opinions, money talks and the company is worth $1 trillion dollars. They can work on looks a bunch, but so can most ICE 4-door sedans and even Ferrari with the FF/Lusso line. Gawd I'm scared if their SUV will look on par with a Kia SUV like Lamborghini, Porsche, and Aston Martin. Battery life and brakes can also be improved and aren't a prohibitive problem. Their torque is a kick in the pants and doesn't stop at 60. The plaid will take a 720 S into the 3-digits. Maybe not Le Mans yet, but you know slow 2nd gear mountain roads would play into the Tesla's torque strength.

I agree Tesla isn't Ferrari and I prefer Ferrari 100x over. They aren't trash though and this isn't a worthless discussion on a Ferrari forum, despite what some have said.

Unfortunately I don't live next to the mountains, but get there often as I can. I spend 2-3 weeks in Colorado every summer and have done the Crescent/Cavallino Classic in Arkansas 10+ times. It is by far the best driving Ferrari rally in the United States. 250-300 HARD miles a day for 5 days.

I have taken the 328 there most times and no brake fade issues. The 328 also does better in many of those mountain 2nd gear corners as perfectly balanced and no understeer. We did enjoy the 355 this year, just a little more power and more rubber to hang with the late models.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/cavallino-corsa-rally-best-in-usa.648074/

Michael B and paulchua like this.
  7. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony

The regen is at work the moment you lift off the gas pedal (accelerator pedal). Yes, a level 3 charger which is not partly occupied provides the fastest charge, but those are seldom available if you don’t live in a place like California. That said, Tesla encourages charging at home in off peak times. My home charger provides roughly 40 miles juice per hour.

8. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    F Chat should have a place to make a friendly wager and see how big the pot will get up too, all money going to the winners charity of course.

ddrewesusa likes this.
  9. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    Now that is a great charity idea.

ChipG likes this.
  10. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Settle it like gentlemen :)

11. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I can honestly say, I was NOT expecting this topic to take over the forum for 3 whole days.

People have some surprisingly strong opinions on the viability of electric engines vs the satisfaction of combustion engines.

25 years from now, some kid who's only known electric cars is going to read this discussion and wonder what all the fuss was about.

paulchua and ChipG like this.
  12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ICE is actually the emerging technology, but we've just realized the original idea was best. :D

Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  13. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    Yep, we may have to explain it to them very slowly: :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Didn't we already have this discussion decades ago with a Subaru?

paulchua likes this.
  15. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    They make a 200mph Subaru?

16. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    paulchua likes this.
  17. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    Can you explain it to me? :D

Attached Files:

18. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Wow, the Tesla looks better than the Ferrari. I never thought I’d say that about a Tesla and any other car.

rob lay and Michael B like this.
  19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The Tesla looks decent, but to be fair that's one of the ugliest Ferraris last 20 years.

jm2, ddrewesusa and DrewH like this.
  20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    It’s always fun to read opinions of folks with Zero personal experience with a product in question.
    I have always disliked electric cars and considered them boring, one trick pony appliances.
    Had the Plaid that I ordered on a whim, just were curious what was so special about it, well, not one service visit needed, decent handling on par with my default performance sedans like M5 or E63 but with the performance simply impossible to comprehend, the acceleration at any speed just mind altering.
    Nothing, absolutely nothing I have ever experienced, from a Alpha 12 GTR, to P1 and Bugatti Veyron SS had this kind of response and shove in the back as that fairly inexpensive family sedan.
    The tech available in the Tesla is simply unobtainable yet in other cars, fit and finish was sufficient and all in all, the car is the ultimate daily driver.
    I have just replaced it with the new M5 CS, quickest BMW ever but it took me a while to get used to it’s “slowness “ vs Plaid.
    I do enjoy it though, car is truly amazing for an ICE car but my next one will be probably electric again, maybe the new Lucid 3 motor coming next year.

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #296 paulchua, Dec 4, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    *This*

I won’t lie though, it’s entertaining to see the lack of knowledge on such conspicuous display.

the rabid defense of it borders on religion.

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You don’t have to have a charity event, all that will settle is who is a better driver. The OPs premise question is not if Rob is a better driver then I (or anybody else.)

The thesis is quite simple (literally on the thread title), the Tesla plaid will beat any stock Ferrari cheaper then $151,000 either on drag strip or a single track lap time.

that’s it.

why it’s even in debate is comical.

I mean unless you’re saying most Ferrari owners are literally “racing” Tesla’s wheel to wheel on a track for a full race duration.

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    What need to wager? I’m constantly baffled at how behind some folks are. It’s like if somebody is literally asking to make a bet that no human can run a mile under 4 min.

All the stats are published and readily available, goodness gracious.

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I suggest folks view Dragtimes owner of both Plaid and SF90.

he owns both, loves both, no bias.

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    But Paul…..who cares about knuckle drags…I’m a “racer” that only cares about the track….

okay

https://fastestlaps.com/models/tesla-model-s-plaid

This is a full size sedan that can seat 7 on a 10 year old platform accomplishing this.

Folks still don’t “get it”
    watch the peanut gallery in 3…2….1…

Michael B likes this.