Steering Wheel Buttons illumination | FerrariChat

Steering Wheel Buttons illumination

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by fazooley, Dec 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    Hey guys just curios are ALL of the buttons on the 458 steering wheels supposed to be illuminated? I see the following buttons on my steering wheel seem to not be lit up
    Brights
    Windshield Wipers
    Im trying to ascertain if these are just not backlit, or there is an issue with my steering wheel that I need to have these guys address

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thanks

2. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I spoke to Dave @ Sticky RX about this and he said that the factory had two variants on the 458, one that is backlit and one that is not, I hope this helps. Jay.

66ss427 likes this.
  3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    2013 spider, mine are backlit. Factory buttons not refinished.

4. RossoF8

RossoF8 Karting

Aug 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    2019 Lusso. Not backlit (kind of a bummer)

5. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    Thanks Jay. So there is 2 variants where just those 2 buttons are either backlit or not. Im trying to figure out all the little things that these guys missed in there cpo inspection, im starting to get kind of aggravated as there are a bunch of little stupid things that i gotta bring into the dealer and have them fix now. Granted the dealership who sold me the car will pay for it, but im trying to compile a list of everything that they missed so it gets done at once. The other night i took the car out for the first time at night and I needed to use the brights and couldnt find the button and it made me nuts,

6. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Correct, some cars were shipped with black plastic buttons (not translucent) coated with soft touch and no leds present (no backlighting), the others were clear plastic buttons (translucent) coated with soft touch with leds for back-lighting.

7. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    Sorry for re-iterarating this, but i just want to make sure your saying ONLY those 2 buttons are not lit on some cars. Cause I find it super weird that all the others are backlit minus just those 2 buttons. The reason its tripping me out is the dealership just had all the buttons redone in the entire car before they put the car up for sale and im wondering if the wrong buttons came back. Is there anyway to determine if the car was shipped with or without the backlit buttons?

8. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Correct, those 2 buttons are not lit on some cars from the factory.

fazooley likes this.
  9. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    2013 Italia and mine are backlit

10. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    None of my steering wheel buttons are backlit. Only the engine start one until the car starts.

Any idea how to diagnose the issue? All buttons still work.

11. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Mine are backlit on my 2011.

12. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    All of the steering wheel buttons on my ‘15 458 Italia are backlit. The steering wheel has the shift LED’s and leather wrap if that makes a difference.

“I see a line of Supercars and they’re all painted red… Visions of Prancing Horses dance in my head. I hear the screaming thunder of the four point five… A 9,000 redline makes you feel alive.”

13. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Here's a video that Dave made illustrating the Non-backlit 458 button, hope this helps.

14. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    How weird is that, only 2 random buttons there not backlit. Very trippy. Im still gonna have my dealer check if there out or the car should have them when they adjust the springs