Car Washing in AZ | FerrariChat

Car Washing in AZ

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by [email protected], Nov 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    I am going to be moving to the Phoenix area in the next week or so and was wondering how does one wash one's car out here. I am coming from Chicago where water is not an issue, but I know it is out here. I am used to connecting a hose, finding shade (also an issue here!) and having at it. I assume that is frowned upon in AZ? Does everyone use self serve car washes?

2. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Generally, I like using rinseless car wash to get rid of the little bit of dust that accumulates. Uses less water, doesn't trap water in spots where it can run out later and allows you to work smaller areas as you'll find it can be difficult avoid water spots because the desert climate causes water to evaporate so quickly.

I moved here a year and a half ago and while no one commented when I washed the traditional method you mentioned, I found it to be more trouble to get a good result.

I never use a commercial car wash, but my wife does and you've got to be quick to wipe off any excess water right away or you'll be blessed with countless water spots afterwards.

3. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    Thanks for the tip. I did not even consider the rapid drying out there. Do you find that using the rinseless wash causes more swirl Mark's due to lack of rinsing? My car is Pozzi blue and seems to scratch if I look at it sideways.

4. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    IMHO, There is way too much dust that accumulates on the car to do a rinse less wash in AZ..yes you will scratch the clear coat and induce swirls. No water problems in AZ for as long as I’ve lived here. Wash and dry in the shade. I use soft water from my house to wash, and then I use a Master blaster to dry the car “touch less”. Not an issue…

technom3 likes this.
  5. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    The idea of using a rinseless wash took me a while to get used to. It seemed counterintuitive that you wouldn't start to see micro scratches without a good soaking beforehand, but I've been doing it now for approx 2 years previously on a black SL, dark gray 430 (grigio silverstone) and now Blu America F12 and don't see any evidence of swirl marks, etc. If the car is really dirty, then I resort to a traditional wash, but it practically never rains in Phoenix, so you're usually just dealing with a little dust buildup, but admittedly brake dusty wheels called for a more aggressive approach. A detailer I used a couple of years back recommended "Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax" which has always worked well for me, so I can't comment on any other products. That and a good microfiber wash pad or mitt seem to do the trick.

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    You can just wash it inside your garage with the door closed and have the car parked on a water containment mat to prevent the water from getting everywhere and then use a wetvac to empty that. No one will know you used water if they think you're wasting it and the car won't dry as quickly in the garage as it would outside. The water is very hard and will leave spots quickly outside if you just use straight up city water.

7. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Mark - Welcome, trust we can meet up when you get your feet planted, you'll love it here including the weather. No issue here when I give my wife's DD a quick bath in the driveway and +1 on the dust that Rob commented on above. For my new 4Runner, I have a $20.mo pass at a local soft touch car was here in Goodyear that includes a clean cloth wipe-down (I most often chamois dry it myself at the vac stations) and tire dressing. I go there roughly twice a week.

8. dozzina

dozzina F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2005
    In a vortex
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The dust in AZ has a high proportion of silicon dioxide (sand) which is pretty hard and will cut into the paint surface. Wash and dry, in the shade if you can. There are no water restrictions about washing your car. Some communities have issues if the water reaches the street.

technom3 likes this.
  9. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    Thanks, Peter. Just got in a couple of days ago and definitely enjoying the weather a lot more than Chicago's! I'm looking forward to some fun drives out here.

10. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    What's the problem? Been washing my cars since I moved here in the '80's. So far no helicopters, news crews or Karens.

Oengus likes this.