Meet the man who introduced Formula 1 and Enzo Ferrari to America. | FerrariChat

Meet the man who introduced Formula 1 and Enzo Ferrari to America.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by NYC Fred, Dec 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

“Every question I asked Ferrari, he answered so vividly,” Daley remembers. “He was known for never talking to journalists. I have no idea why he talked to me.” The one question Daley remembers most was why Enzo Ferrari never went to races. Was it because he feared for the lives of the drivers? Daley recalls: “He said, ‘If a man builds something from scratch, something precious, and then he goes to the races and he sees the thing that he built dying, because in a race the cars are always dying, it hurts me here.’ And he placed his hand over his heart.”

The Ferrari profile ran in the New York Times on June 8, 1958, under the headline “Ferrari: Speed-Bewitched Recluse.” “To say that Enzo Ferrari makes cars is like saying that Rubinstein plays the piano,” Daley wrote. “For Enzo Ferrari’s Italian-built cars are the fastest, sleekest, and sometimes the most costly that the world has known… He is afraid of many modern inventions. He will not, for instance, ride in an elevator.” Few Times readers had heard of Ferrari cars. Fewer still had ever seen one.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a38400686/the-journalist-who-broke-the-biggest-story-in-motorsport-history/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_rdt&utm_medium=email&date=120221&utm_campaign=nl25884150&utm_term=AAA%20--%20High%20Minus%20Dormant%20and%2090%20Day%20Non%20Openers

375+, Texas Forever, LARRYH and 6 others like this.
  2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    An awesome bit of history. Thanks for sharing.

BJK likes this.
  3. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Thanks for the post...late 50s was the time frame when I started following international motor racing and when I got imprinted on the style of Ferrari road cars of that era. I would have to look at the actual data but from memory it seems that several drivers died each year during that time frame. Who was it that said during that time "Sex was safe and driving was dangerous!"

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Wonderful post. Ferrari was right. As a mechanic, ever car you work on is a part of you. Watching one crash tears your heart out.

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    wow thanks for sharing

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you for this read, this is why I love F-Chat- always learning new things. Thank you.

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I bought the book when it was originally published decades ago. It’s hard to believe that the reprint is that valuable. What web site is that?

I believe Daley also became a film producer.

9. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    That was Amazon. Can I borrow it before you sell it?
    LOL

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks. Those Amazon used book prices are phony, based on some short-circuited algorithms. ;) I wouldn’t sell it anyway. :)

tomkatf likes this.
  11. tomkatf

tomkatf F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2004
    San Diego...East Co.
    Full Name:
    Tom F.
    Don't know why this reprint is listed at that ridiculous price... original first editions are available in the $200-500 range... Check www.bookfinder.com for real prices...

https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&ref=bf_s2_a1_t1_1&qi=r.ENtVZtoG3lANHUZaduRFaxLvY_1497963026_1:1:4&bq=author=robert%20daley&title=cruel%20sport%20the%20drama%20of%20grand%20prix%20auto%20racing

Here's what a first edition (1963) looks like in a clear protective cover. Actually a very good book with outstanding photos let down a bit by mediocre printing quality...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nembo1777 likes this.