206 Fuel Caps | FerrariChat

206 Fuel Caps

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Dec 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I got a call from a guy who has a beautiful blue 206 but is missing the correct fuel cap. These are impossible to find with such a small number of cars made. Soooooo another project as I cant ever say no. Luckily I have 00184 with a correct fuel cap to copy. It's not an easy job. I decided to make them out of brass like the originals with stamped number and stamped keys.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Lovely "small" project Jon. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Best, Peter

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Jon
    Great project but I found this cap which the last time I checked is readily available over here. Could save you a lot of heartache. Its the closest I have ever found to the 206 cap. Slight mods required to the actual locking ring, these are 3 pin and the 206 is 2 pin.
    Let me know if you need it
    Tony

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NoGoSlow likes this.
  4. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I'm already knee deep!!

TonyL likes this.
  5. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  6. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  7. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
  8. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  9. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Fantastic job! Please keep me on your list for cap and knob!

10. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Finally finished this project. It was not easy!! It all started because I got a call from a guy with a 206 that needed an original style gas cap. So I thought what the heck I'll make a few more. This time though I made a correct key and added #'s like the originals. A time consuming costly project.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Martyt, clandestine, GIOTTO and 11 others like this.
  11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    outstanding!

swift53 likes this.
  12. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I have added a few more items that are unique to the 206 Dino. The grab handle is also on the L model. Finally I have slogged my way through to make a very high quality shift knob, locking fuel cap, numbered and with correct keys and grab handle found on the passenger side. As always I've made a few extras. Next up is a very high quality reproduction wood steering wheel, with hub, horn button etc. I'm making it 370mm which is slightly small and should make the 206 more pleasurable to drive. If anyone has driven one you will realize the steering wheel is too big and the shifter is under your right thigh!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey, Martyt, GIOTTO and 3 others like this.
  13. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Fantastic work. Let us know when you will let some of these go. I will definitely be on the buyer’s list.

14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hello Jon, great stuff!

Are your grab handles flexible?

Regards, Alberto

15. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    like originals.

16. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I have an original, and when removed from the brackets, it is flat, and a bit thinner.
    Straight from Dennis McCann, and it is a FIAT part.

If you are going through the trouble of reproducing steering wheels, at 370mm, originality is going away, no matter driveability or not.

Personally, I would want the standard size. :)

Regards, Alberto

17. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    I

JackCongo likes this.
  18. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Right you are Jon! No fun to have a shifter in uncomfortable places...and you are right about only pleasing yourself.
    The grab handle looked different, must be the Hasselblad.

I never said I wanted to buy anything, others did. Besides, if you are not selling anything, why would you make a baker's dozen gas caps, display?
    And, yes, I am aware that making 1 costs the same as making 12 :D

I can only speak for the 206 shifter, wishful hoping :)

Regards, Alberto

19. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #21 omgjon, Jul 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    I took the strap apart on my L models and made it exactly as the original, it will bend in any position and yes it is not bent in the correct position in the photo. As for the steering wheel, if you've ever driven a 206 with the original steering wheel the gearshift is under your right thigh and very unpleasant to drive. I've tried a spacer which helps a little. A slightly smaller steering wheel and a spacer makes the car a joy to drive!. I'll keep my original steering wheel in the closet. That's why I'm making a slightly smaller steering wheel for functionality which will look exactly like the original. I'm not trying to reproduce an exact replica in size. Parts that I have made are really expensive to make one so I make a few extras.The fuel cap, shifter, grab handle and steering wheel which are unique pieces on the 206 and to me are really pieces of art as you can attest to!! You still covet the 206SP shift boxes I made!!

20. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Jon, I have never driven a Dino, so hard to argue your logic about wheel diameters. Have only sat in mine making idiotic engine noises :)

You know I am a die-hard for 'spot on' accuracy in restorations, and as you, parts reproduction, but that, is my 'dark side'.

I remember your first appearances on Dinoland, and you have come a very long way from your first joint summer venture of dad/son experience. Truly an uncommon trait.
    At times, it was criticized, yet, you surmounted all adversity and went full speed ahead, otherwise, you would not be where you are now.
    Kudos Jon!

Your parts are sensational, no holds barred, and truly a labour of love.
    I know exactly what that means, as do a few others in Dinoland.

And yes, I definitely still covet, and am mad with desire for the 206 shift box, even though I have absolutely no
    use whatsoever for it. Yet, I am passionate for things beautiful, and, is it not a great virtue?

Regards, Alberto

Martyt likes this.